on 27 October 2014
I absolutely love Basil Copper and have yet to find a story of his I have not enjoyed in the slightest.
This collection has many incredible tales but there is one simple problem that has disappointed me, and that is the abundance of spelling mistakes. I find it quite hard to believe as Stephen Jones is a fantastic editor and seems to be very thorough but in this case I wonder if he was pressed for time.
Even protagonists names are incorrect as well as regular others, it does not take away from Basil's amazing storytelling but it is an annoyance that it feels the volume was rushed and not double checked. I am in no way astonishing with regards to grammer and I managed to pick out many,many mistakes, especially towards the end of the book.

If you can ignore the lazy editing that shocks me that Stephen Jones aparanntly had worked at, then you will be very happy with a huge collection of fantastic sotries.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2014
When my mother threw away her copy of Not After Nightfall, bought for 2/6 donkey's years ago, she couldn't have realized it would cost £10-15 to replace when I wanted to read it again! So it was good news for me when this came out, containing all the Not After Nightfall stories plus rather more again from other collections, in a pleasant edition at a very reasonable price.

Although it is 40 years since I read Not After Nightfall, I had not forgotten the power, imagination and eeriness of Copper's storytelling; the re-reading has confirmed my teenage judgment on that. I believe Copper was as good a writer on horror as any there has ever been, and I say that as one who has read Lovecraft, Poe, Bram Stoker, August Derleth and many others. Strongly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse