5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for first time Star Wars readers
Published on 17 Sep 2010 by Jsbolland

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book for anyone dying to read/see anything about SWTOR.
Its a nice book to read while waiting for SWTOR.
It isn't the best star wars book out there, but I've read worse, and at least it talks about people/places we may see in the game (some of them we will for sure).
Published on 6 Jun 2011 by Rui Batista

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for first time Star Wars readers, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: Star Wars: Fatal Alliance: The Old Republic (Star Wars the Old Republic) (Hardcover)
I am not usually a Star Wars novel reader. I have read the novelizations of all six movies, but never moved into the expanded universe. I found this to be a perfect place to start. None of the characters are familiar - being set some 3000 years before "A New Hope" - but all are full of personality and Sean Williams does a fantastic job at keeping the reader gripped and wanting to know what happens next. I have never been a Sci-Fi reader, more of a thriller in the shape of Rollins, Child, Grisham and Patterson, but this has changed my view on the genre, and I have pre-ordered "Deceived", in the same series, and I'm really looking forward to it! I highly recommend this to anyone with the slightest interest in action or adventure as well as the obvious Sci-Fi/Star Wars fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book for anyone dying to read/see anything about SWTOR., 6 Jun 2011
Its a nice book to read while waiting for SWTOR.
I didn't quite like the robot/android stuff because for some reason it didn't quite feel star wars.... I did like a lot of classes we will play were portraid by the book characters.
We had the trooper, Jedi, Sith, Smuggler, Imperial Agent... Even a droid companion.
All of them are in the book, and it was a nice way to see different takes on the same situation from all this characters.
In the end I give this book a 3 out of 5 and recommend it to anyone crazy for star wars and waiting for SWTOR.
For anyone not into the game, the book isn't going to be as appealing, and if that is the case you might want to pass this up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Suprised, 31 Aug 2010
Jonathan D "Jonno" (Essex, England, UK) - See all my reviews
I am an avid Star Wars reader, but was unsure whether or not I would like this book.
The plot is fast paced and enjoyable I would definitely recommend.
I would certainly like to read more from this particular star wars era, as there aren't any other books looking at this period of the star wars universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start, 15 July 2014
Didn't know what to expect as I'm a massive Star Wars fan and this was my first time giving the Old Republic a try and it didn't disappoint, the characters grow on you quick and you soon recognize the similarities of the universe you know and appreciate the new timeline, I really enjoy the book it moves at a good pace and it is a great introduction to the franchise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Also Pleasantly Surprised, 14 Sep 2010
Nick Taylor - See all my reviews
I wasn't really looking forward to this book - Sean Williams' last video game tie-in (The Force Unleashed) was pretty unremarkable and I'm a little sceptical about the whole TOR era. A few chapters in and it wasn't looking good: we're rapidly introduced to a set of new characters with bafflingly similar names (Shygo, Satele Shan, Stryver, Stantorrs) and I was having a difficult time getting interested in them or the plot.

However, once the characters are thrown together they quickly become a likeable bunch. They soon find themselves in a classic Star Wars setup of mismatched adventurers on a smuggling freighter (complete with eccentric droid), albeit in a way that is perhaps a little too similar to the 'fatal alliance' seen in recent Fate of the Jedi books. There are still a few niggles - the battles are a little drawn-out and told from too many perspectives, particularly the battle in a Hutt palace in which Williams repeatedly shows the same time period from seven different perspectives.

I enjoyed this book, but I think it still might be one for the completists and TOR fans. Otherwise, wait for the paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 3 Mar 2013
Wow i was stunned after reading this book. This book really gives you a good feeling of the star wars universe. Very good worked out characters and stories lines. My favorite book at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 4 May 2011
Mr. M. Henderson (port talbot, wales) - See all my reviews
i liked this storie as (yes it's to promote a game and set lore for it) it gives us a great understanding of what each character (and subsiquently each class) responds to each given situation and that helps it drag me in

the book is aimed at people looking to buy the game BUT can be greatly enjoyed by all

(IMHO)

enjoy the read

1.0 out of 5 stars A Novel Based Off a Computer Game, 2 Jan 2011
The Novel started well with good characterisation and what appeared to be an intriguing plot. Unfortunately it then became apparant the authors hands had been tied in that he had to include the different classes from the soon to be released game. This caused the story to slow to a crawl as the same plot piece would be seen by each of the main characters and then it hit the game play mechanics where force shields were being thrown up all over the place along with unexplained barriers and characters taking multiple shots and still suriving. And thats before getting to droids that are infinetely more powerful than there counter parts made 3500 years later. Causing the novel to read like fan fiction where someone writes up their favourite computer game character and then it went from bad to worse with a (spoiler ahead) simple droid engineer able to come up with a device that would threatern to destroy the entire galaxy. At some point even in a galaxy far far away the suspension of disbelief requires grounding on something more than a scenario that gets the main classes working together. So ultimatelty a difficult read that seemed more intent on staying close to the game than to a good story.

Star Wars: Fatal Alliance: The Old Republic (Star Wars the Old Republic)
13.79