5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with detailed, high quality art, 30 Nov. 2009
Parka (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:25 Mins

It's weird this book came out months after the movie. The wait is over and I'm glad to say that this book is great.

There's plenty of cool concept art in this 160-page hardcover art book published by Titan Books. There are technical sketches and paintings for spaceships, the set, character, costumes, gadgetry, weapons and creatures. Included also are discarded ideas and concepts.

The amount of detail in the art is astonishing and texture is everywhere, 3D renderings, paintings, film stills. The bridge looks like casinos straight out of Las Vegas, with all the lights, panels, buttons and seats. The wickedly awesome looking mining vessel Narada is shown in different views and comes with close ups which will make you marvel at the engineering.

Those who love spaceships will not only find them, but also space stations and their interiors. They are all meticulously designed showing all the seams, cutting, and texture. The designs for the spaceships look really sleek.

For the non-human looking characters, there are lots of photos on the sculptures. For the creatures, there are sketches and 3D models.

This book is highly recommended to fans of sci-fi, not just Star Trek fans.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Future is Here!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
Ah, Star Trek. What can one say about it that hasn't been said a million times? It's a pioneer of science fiction, its characters are likable, the stories are emotional, the message is a great message, the villains are deep.... It's just so good!!! I mean, for crying out loud, its fan base (commonly referred to as Trekkies) is so dedicated that they have almost made Star Trek a kind of holy science fiction bible (personally, I'm more of a Lord of the Rings guy, but I digress). Yet, you can't ignore Star Trek forever. There comes a time in every science fiction fan's life where they just HAVE to watch a Star Trek show or one of the movies. Because, that's like saying a romance junkie (like my sister) hasn't watched Titanic or Gone With The Wind, or an action maniac hasn't watched Raiders of the Lost Ark or Die Hard. So, yeah, being a science fiction fan myself, I decided to give Star Trek a chance. And, I can say, after watching J.J.Abrams' 2009 reboot of the series AND its epic 2013 sequel, I became a Trekky myself and I'm looking forward to watching all the other movies and the original TV show. So, having amazing memories of the two Abrams movies, I decided to expand my newly found Star Trek knowledge by buying something to help me hold on until I find Wrath of Khan on DVD (and until Hobbit 3 comes out on the cinemas, but that's a story for another review). Which brings me to this book.

Star Trek; The Art Of The Film is one of those “Art Of” books (if you couldn't tell from the title) which explain all about designing all the needed sets, props, costumes, vehicles, CGI models, macquettes, storyboards etc. for a certain movie. Let me have a moment to describe my experiences with these types of books. I....FREAKING.....LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!! They're really awesome, they're always full of content and really well made etc. But they have a special meaning for me. You know what is more awesome than watching a great movie? Watching the Making of videos. I really love them and, ever since I was a little kid, they've inspired me to say I want to become a director and share my own creative vision with the world, and, to be honest, they still leave that effect on me, though not as much. Nowadays, what charms me the most are concept arts and design sketches. It seems really appealing to me and I can draw exceptionally well. But, I'm getting a bit out of subject here, so my moment's over. So, does Art of Star Trek boldly go where no one has gone before, is it your average “Art Of” book or does it get sucked in the black hole? Well, let's find out. The book is actually really pretty and well crafted. It begins with an introduction by J.J.Abrams, so there's a massive plus already there. You see, there are only three good directors for me( by good I mean epic angles, which appeals to me the most as a comic book fan. And that's my opinion, so don't criticize me); Peter Jackson, Zack Snyder and J.J.Abrams (and I guess you can squeeze Cristopher Nolan in there, as well). So, he informs us about his decisions on making the film, his worries since this is a big cultural phenomenon, and the need to make it a really awesome film. We are then briefly told about the design choices and making of the movie. But then the good stuff begins. The actual designs and concept arts.

Oh God!! We're finally at the good part! As with most “Art Of” books, Star Trek takes us chronologically through the events of the movie and explains(very briefly) the design aspects of everything while showing us the drawings. Here there can also be found a couple of sketches that were meant for scenes that ultimately got deleted from the final movie. That is both bad and good at the same time. It's good because it shows you the full experience, but it's also bad because you don't know about these scenes, so you're left confused. The choice of adding these deleted scenes is entirely illogical, as Spock would put it. But, that doesn't bring the value down at all. It's still really good. I also love how faithful they tried to stay close to the original designs of the show and yet give them a new look. And when a guy who hasn't seen the show (like me) says they're faithful to the source material, then that means something for the designers. When I rolled my eyes on the Enterprise for the first time, it looked familiar (I can't imagine how all the hard-core Trekkies reacted to this when they first saw it in theaters, but after rewatching the film, I shouted with excitement when it revealed), or when I saw a phaser I could almost tell how its mechanics worked, the characters looked established, I cheered when I actually saw Leonard Nimoy, because his Spock is a modern cultural icon, almost like Superman. What I'm trying to get across is that J.J.Abrams wanted a movie that will appeal to young kids and invite them to the amazing world of Star Trek as well as satisfy even the most hardcore Star Trek lunatic. And consider me sold. The book embraces the choices to make the lame-looking-yet-at-the-same-time-surprisingly-charming designs of the original show seem futuristic. And they nail it perfectly every single time. I can't pick a favorite section of the book, because they're all really awesome. However, I went with the Enterprise, because, now that I know a tad bit more about Star Trek, I could appreciate the re-designs and feel somehow nostalgic. That is something I've only seen Star Trek do without having watched NOTHING else of than two movies.

Yet, with all that praising, I can't say this is the best I've seen out of an “Art Of” book. It doesn't break new boundaries and doesn't bring anything new on the table. It lacks a bit on content since A) It doesn't have a lot of text, so it's a breeze, B) It's only, like, 160 pages. That seems awfully short for an “Art Of” book, especially one that's based on such a big movie. So, when you combine A and B together you get C) I READ THE BOOK IN ONE DAY!!!! That doesn't seem much at all. “Art Of” books are supposed to keep you hanged for at least a month, overwhelming with content, and not just any old content. We're talking about thousands upon thousands of detailed drawings that require a lot of attention and for the eye to basically “scan” them from top to bottom, so we can appreciate the effort put into the designs. The concept art works as a way for the concept artist to show the director how they imagine something in their head and then proceed into physically (or, sometimes, digitally) build it. Even with that you might not get just enough. But, hey, that's my opinion and you might find it has the right amount of content (I kind of fall in that category, but what I'm saying is that I want more. But I guess that's a good complaint) you see, another “Art Of” book that may or may not be my next review (hint: that Hobbit 3 thing I said at the first paragraph? It is relevant to that other “Art Of” book) is probably closer to what I wanted out of this book. And it's not only that book. Other books of this style like Art of Frozen is also closer to what I want. But, I'm judging the book the way it is, not the way I wanted it to be. As it is, the book is nothing less than awesome. Every design is great, the introduction is great, and for those of you who loved the movie, you can't miss out on this one. It's a great book that, while short, was a joy to read. While it's definitely not the best of its kind, I can only wish to it to live long and prosper. Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars STAR TREK - The Art of the Film, 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
I remember looking for an art book for the Reboot film when it first came out and being surprised and very disappointed to discover that there wasn't one.

However, some months after the film was released this book popped up and I bought it immediately.

It was well worth the wait!

This book is packed with images from the movie as well as behind the scenes make-up shots, character designs, costume designs, background designs, Star Ship interiors and exteriors (which are so~o amazingly detailed). You would need a crowbar to get another pixel in the book. All printed on good size pages (just under 12"), images printed on glossy good quality paper - no irritating fuzzy images all are sharp and crystal clear.

The book is introduced by the films director J.J. Abrams and up to page 21 are beautiful introductions to the new Reboot crew of the Enterprise as well as the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy). The next section covers the Ship design of the Kelvin, as well as some beautiful interior shots and Layouts for the bridge/ Captain's chair and even covers some images of the shuttle bay and the shuttle that Kirk's mother escapes in - all are in colour.

Next is the Narada. Pages of digital ship designs as well as small structural breakdowns on page 35.

The next section is the Romulan facial markings, actual photo's of the actors in character - they are essentially head shots laid out like animator model turn around sheets (wonderful for drawing reference as the images are a good size for detail)

The next sections cover vehicle designs, Aliens, Starfleet Academy and a lot of earth based film shots (it's a nice mix of actual film photo's, artists sketches and matt paintings.

My favourite section is costume and alien designs. There are close-up shots of the different department insignia's as well as the artist's renderings of what the uniforms should look like next to photo's of the actors in the final product. Then on to the alien designs including some nice Gaila shots and many photo's of the latex moulded alien heads.

Vulcan - the planet, is shown by some beautiful matt paintings, lovely desert landscapes as well as buildings and cityscapes.

Most of the rest of the book (from page 88 onwards) covers the Enterprise, various assorted gadgets, interiors, and exterior designs - so many detailed drawings/ photo's I was drooling over them for days.

The book covers everything you would hope a film art book would cover, but few rarely live up to the expectation. They are bogged down with either too much text or images that have no explanation next to them and leave you guessing what it is your actually looking at. This has the perfect balance, there was nothing that disappointed me about this book and I highly recommend it to all, not just Trekkie' and Artists, but to anyone who enjoyed the movie and enjoys the whole design process.

5.0 out of 5 stars any trekkies dream, 22 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
This book is well worth any Trekkie buying. The excellent graphics of costumes, sets, story boards, all tell of the terrific amount of work involved in bringing the final film to the screen.
BUY and ENJOY!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent visual companion, 4 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
I have been after a good quality copy of this book since it was released shortly after the film in 2009. Every copy that I have come across in WHSmiths or Waterstones look like they have been mauled by an animal (as well as being overpriced in WHSmiths which is not uncommon) I ordered this from Amazon which is the first book that I have ordered from this retailer. I am very pleased with my purchase and the level of quality of the packaging and the quality of the book. I would definitely purchase any further books from this retailer before considering anywhere else.

Please release the art of Star Trek into Darkness book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of Star Trek (both original canon and this new timeline), this book instantly seemed like a 'must have'. If you love the new film by JJ Abrams, then you are sure to love this. The book includes detailed artwork, sketches, drawings, blueprints and CG illustrations for every aspect of the film - comprising all the characters (main cast and extras), aliens, planets, space, starships, technology, uniforms, sets ETC. It is sure to be a classic book that you will continue to look back upon for reference as the brand new timeline continues with future adventures set in the Abrams universe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book well worth buying if you are a Star ..., 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
Good book well worth buying if you are a Star Trek fan/ enjoyed the J J Abrams films and the new Enterprise etc,good read and a lot of good quality images/ information,recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Star Trek: The Art of the Film (Hardcover)
Fabulous book for an enthusiast

Star Trek: The Art of the Film
Star Trek: The Art of the Film by Mark Cotta Vaz (Hardcover - 17 Nov. 2009)