5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun
This proved to be one of my most favourite reads of recent times, very irreverent, self-knowing, clever and just plain daft at the same time. Very enjoyable all round. There is one of them "c words" used at one point that seem to dreadfully irk certain portions of the populace so if you have sensitivities in that direction, you most likely won't be happy. But I laughed...
Published on 15 May 2010 by Acis

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally entertaining but be careful of the Collector's Edition...
I was a huge fan of the movie as it was a fantastic change of pace to the usual superhero movie. I knew a bit about the book and knew that there were some large differences between the movie and the book. The ending, which I won't go into detail about is far different in tone, but I think each ending works for their respective mediums. The book ending would have not...
Published on 23 July 2011 by tom

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
I'd never read a Mark Millar comic before, but when I saw the film trailers I thought I'd read the book then go see the film. The book is violent, bloody with a lot of swearing and fantastic. I couldn't put it down it was brilliant from start to finish. All the characters are great and flow in a beautifully violent story. I also enjoyed the film very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy With Product., 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Kick Ass Collector's Edition (Hardcover)
As its titled i really am happy, for such prices they have provided the goods and im happy to say it was in mint condition not even a scratch. Will definitely buy again from them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Kick Ass Collector's Edition (Hardcover)
Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars More please!, 6 April 2010
David Treadway "DaveUlysses" (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
This book while short, has everything I want from a comic, great characters, believable dialogue, situations & great artwork. My only problem is I want more! And that is never a bad thing

1.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant glorification-of-violence at its worst, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
Mark Millar thinks his over-the-top Scottish cynicism is the best thing ever, but it's not. Marvel's The Ultimates, written by Millar, is one of my favourite comics ever.

Can't say the same for this.

Millar's independent graphic novel "Kick-Ass" is just unpleasant, mean-spirited and it glorifies violence. The comics are about a bunch of w*nkers who hit each other and make blood. In the first Kick-Ass graphic novel, Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl beat the mafia for revenge, not because it's the right thing to do. And the situation is solved by busting into a building, senselessly killing and shooting a room full of people and nothing is learned. Also, the dialogue in the comics is disgusting. Kick-Ass is obsessed with talking about his own erection every chapter so I have trouble trying to like this character.

The presence of gory violence is expected with a comic book aimed at mature audiences, and I'm always happy that, most of the time, the gore is restricted only to these more obscure, adult comics, and I hate it when comics like The Avengers have unnecessary gore. Kick=Ass's selling point is basically violence, and while it's well-drawn and a little humourous, it serves no purpose. Honestly, I want a comic that is led by interesting characters and mystery, not gratuitous gore and foul-mouthed characters.

Honestly, what is the appeal of Kick-Ass? The comic basically solves all the problems the characters have with a dumb amount of bloody deaths and we learn nothing, no lessons or anything, by the end. This is awful and I am really struggling to find a good reason why Kick-Ass is as popular as it is. It's nothing personal against the creative team (I happen to enjoy some of Millar's works and I admire Romita Jr.'s artistic prowess), but I have difficulty trying to work out their creative process behind Kick-Ass.

I happen to really enjoy both the comedy film adaptations. While they're somewhat faithful to the awful comics, the films make an effort to help me love the characters and tell a superhero story, and much of the unpleasant nonsense is either omitted or toned down.

I don't see the appeal of this comic at all. How it was even able to prompt a film adaptation is a mystery to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars blood, guts, and entertainment!, 18 May 2010
M. E. Limerick "Slim" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
got it today, finished it already and will be reading it again and again... great fun and a must read... recomended to anyone who likes a bit of violence and well... just fun :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, fantastic artwork, and very funny, 1 May 2010
Mr. Dean S. Quinton (Bransgore, Hants. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
I bought this graphic novel to read before going to see the film. I really enjoyed the novel and was psyched to see the film, which while very good, as usual did not match this excellent book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so Kick-ass after all, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
I'll get this out of the way first. I think the movie was better. I generally enjoy Millar's work, being a big fan of the Ultimates and Old Man Logan, but Kick-ass is a thoroughly depressing puerile mess.

THe movie, while it was pretty dark, also had a lot of light moments to balance it out as well as having a, perhaps unrealistic, but ultimately feel-good ending. The comic has no such luck. The main character is a fairly accurate representation of a teenager in many ways, but this also makes him a thoroughly unlikeable person and it's pretty hard to root for him in some cases. Perhaps it is a true interpretation of what this guy would be like, but that doesn't make for a fun read.

Millar seems to have written a lot of the stuff in here for shock value and to create as much violent confrontations as possible. Admittedly the movie is violent too, but the way it's shot manages to not make it disgusting. Every panel of kick-ass is drenched in blood and Romita Jr's ugly art style doesn't help at all. There's also a lot of moments that make the supporting characters out to be even more ****ed up than they are in the film such as Big Daddy and Red Mist.

Ultimately, Kick-ass is not necessarily badly written, it's a competent idea with great potential, but Millar's used it as an excuse to be as violent, sweary and depressing as possible. If you have a cynical view on life this'll be right up your street.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am sorry I bought this item, 9 May 2010
Peter Cooper "Peter Cooper" (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kick-Ass (Paperback)
Having enjoyed the work of Mark Millar and John Romita Jnr in the past, and having seen the adverts for the movie, I thought this would be a book worth having. Unfortunately, I don't like bad language in a graphic novel, and if you leave out the bad language in this book, there is just about nothing left to read. It is an ugly, poorly written and unpleasant book which is in no way worth reading.

Kick Ass Collector's Edition
Kick Ass Collector's Edition by John Romita Jr (Hardcover - 17 Feb 2010)