Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 December 2009
This a beautiful book full of pictures of beautiful women. The photos are fantastic, dare I say it Fangtastic! The profiles of each actress are thorough and well researched. It is not just a Nostalgia trip for anyone who remembers the films first time around or,like me, when I grew up in the 70s. It is very much a labour of love by Marcus Hearn and a great companion book for the equally excellent Hammer Story by the same author.
I was always a fan of the gorgeous Caroline Munro and the photos of her are worth the book's price alone! If you ever had a favourite Hammer actress you will find her story and beautiful phots of her in this book. Buy the hardback now!!
on 10 December 2009
Isn't that the best picture of Madeline Smith ever? Not that she ever took a bad one. The book does what it says on the cover. You're over 40? You like Hammers? You're a man? Buy the book. Just look at that picture of Maddy! And lets not forget Ingrid, Kate, Valerie etc, etc... They're all here. Did I mention the cover?
on 11 June 2011
I brought this book for my husband and he is a true hammer horror fan and well he loves it cant put it down !!!! Also my 7yr old who has her dads liking for hammer horror also like to look thought it.So brill book for any Hammer fan well worth the money.
on 4 November 2009
Well, this has to be the best book purchase of the year. A glorious trip down memory lane, visiting old imaginary girlfriends, brought vividly to life in a selection of fabulous colour portraits, many of which I had never seen before. The layout of the book is appealing to the senses and the mini biogs are clear, concise and interesting. To hear about their lives, kinda spoiled my shallow lusting-after vision of each, because just like us all, they had warts and all. Seriously, its made for fascinating reading, for I knew little about these femme fatales.
I've been having breakfast with at least two ladies from the book's contents, each morning for a couple of weeks, and still got Ingrid Pitt and Madeline Smith to go. Life just doesnt get any better...
It is a fantastic book, which has awakened my interest in Hammer films, and I will be aquiring Marcus Hearn's other book on the subject this Christmas.
Now, if the author would just kindly supply me with the telephone numbers of each, 2009 will be the year of the decade.
on 29 April 2010
This is a great book, providing enough information without being too gossipy or boring, and with very high quality and memorable pictures. A fitting tribute to some amazing actresses and cult heroines. The only problem was a few of the actresses were less well known and had only featured in one Hammer film, while some 'more famous' actresses were described in a paragraph at the back. Still, I liked it.

And I laugh that the other 13 reviews are all by men! Even a straight woman can appreciate this book.
on 10 June 2013
Not at all a book full of naughty pictures (well, some are) but a fantastic insight into the lives of cinema's most overlooked ladies. It's very well researched (fresh interviews were carried out with many of the actresses) and it's amazing to read how many of them went on to be actually quite well known for other things (fashion designers, models, Bond girls - quite a few Bond girls actually). The photos are fantastic too, the cover photo of the busty Madeline Smith is a perfect choice to capture the look of "Hammer Glamour" as a whole - I'll admit it was a deciding factor in my purchase too! To my surprise, my wife also enjoyed flicking through the pages and commenting on some of the lovely ladies and what they were wearing (or NOT wearing) and agreed it was great addition to my horror collection.

A fine present for anyone you know who enjoys the world of Hammer horror. Highly recommended.
on 17 February 2010
A damn fine book, even my girlfriend likes it!

Lovingly researched, wonderfully packaged and stunning photos throughout (all arranged in diplomatic A-Z order).

No one's getting a loan of this!
on 19 October 2009
Good book, lots of pictures. Could have covered more of the actresses in more detail, but a welcome addition to my genre library.
on 7 September 2013
After purchasing the Marcus Hearn History of Hammer Films I just had to get this book as well.

It contains the story of many ladies who graced the screen under the banner of Hammer Films and what interesting stories they are.As in life, not every actress fulfilled her dreams and went onto movie stardom (for lots of different reasons) but not one indicated any bad feeling toward their time at Hammer.
Marcus has assembled a terrific array of pictures (many unseen before) and his text is both informative and entertaining.

A great buy for the Hammer fan.
on 30 December 2009
A lovely little trawl through Hammer Film's bevvy of female stars.

The point of this sort of coffee-table book is the pictures. And this book does not disappoint - from the stunning cover shot of Madeline Smith through to the last glossy page there are delights to be seen here. Very much in a burlesque style, not too rude (though there are a couple of shots that might be considered NSFW), and if you love that sort of 50s/60s/70s cheesecake style as much as I do then you will love this.

Featuring women who simply are not made like that any more, the text adds up to a pretty decent history of one of the great UK movie studios.