on 6 February 2014
I bought this for our grandchild (aged 10) as just an "extra" Xmas present. She spent the whole time over Christmas forcing us to play games which she thought were new and really exciting, but that we remembered from our own childhoods - and she was surprised and pleased to find that we'd played them many years ago. She voted it her best present, despite getting a laptop & more expensive stuff.

We spent all one evening playing "Hunt the Thimble", followed by "Wink Murder" - and never put the TV on at all.

It was loads of fun and also led to lots of talking about our memories - a huge success!

A great book that I recommend to anyone who has children or grandchildren.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 April 2015
This is a terrific reference book for when you have a group of people to entertain. It would be equally good for families or teachers. There are a wealth of parlour and party games (286 to be precise). There are some pen and paper games including ones that most of us are familiar with (hangman, battleships etc) but no card games. The majority need no props or only items that are very easily located.

While there are a few games that can be played with only two people, the majority need at least four. It would have been helpful if there was a reference at the beginning of each description to how many people are required/can be accommodated. The instructions for each game are simple, fairly brief and make them sound like fun!

The sections are:
1. Rainy Day Games
2. Car Journey Games
3. Games using pen and paper, knucklebone or matchsticks
4. Racing games
5. Word or number games
6. Party Games
7. Musical or dramatic games
8. Country House Weekend (games for large groups and/or spaces)
9. Seasonal Games eg for New Year's, Hallowe'en, Christmas
on 30 January 2014
I have spent an enjoyable week with my grandchildren aged 4 and 6 re visiting many of these half forgotten games from childhood. A great success and the TV rarely switched on! Consequences was greatly enjoyed by the 4 year old who loves drawing.
I would recommend this to any parent and grandparent to keep on their bookshelf. I have bought several copies as gifts for friends who are grandparents!
on 20 December 2013
i have just dipped into this book but it looks amazing really good fun and easy to use also sparks off other ideas
on 1 February 2014
I remember games like 'Murder Winking' from the wonderful family Christmases of my childhood, so I couldn't wait to get my copy of this book; I saw Gyles on TV talking about his book and the fact that people don't seem to play games that much anymore, so sad! There are some wonderful games in the book and it brought back very fond memories. Can't wait to try them out; dinner parties 😊, Christmas etc. I am in charge of organising the W.I Christmas extravaganza this year.....watch out!!!!! 😄😄. It will be fun....... No more: "What can we do?" on a wet, cold winter's eve., just reach for the book and instant entertainment. Great book, great ideas, great fun.
on 29 January 2014
Great to read up on fun without an electronic gadget, even better to try them out. Being incredibly silly with your children is a must.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 April 2015

4. Racing games
5. Word or number games
6. Party Games
7. Musical or dramatic games
8. Country House Weekend (games for large groups and/or spaces)
9. Seasonal Games eg for New Year's, Hallowe'en, Christmas
on 2 February 2014
A marvellous book. How we used to have fun with no tv, internet, mobiles, etc, etc. A real feast on how children used to amuse themselves with little of nothing. That's what I call using brainpower, and it really was fun. Hopefully this super book will bring back some of the real fun we used to have as children and how it brought kids together.
on 16 January 2014
This was a gift to my 50 year old son for the enjoyment with his two children. He was thrilled with it and could see its possibilities for the present and the future. I heard about it on Countdown with Gyles Brandreth. Thought you would like to know.
on 11 January 2014
I shall use this often, so many good games, so old some new. Very adaptable ideas for families and indeed other eductional circumstances.
Used some games over Christmas and had a great time with them.