Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2015
I do not know if it is life changing, but I've implemented the books ideas into my own together with some other new ideas from other sources. Let us hope they last. Like all books that are not fiction, the 20/80 principle applies. The 20% of useful information is:
Set aside time to plan you week every week.
Decide the one thing you wish to accomplish this decade/year/month/week/day. Reserve time blocks to do your one thing, minimum four hours. Do not let anything disturb you while doing your one thing.
It is an easy and fun read, recommended.
on 24 September 2015
I've read so many of these books and after a while they all merge into one. But this one has one simple message which on the face of it might seem simplistic, but it makes a lot of sense. Note that this is no quick blabla wonder. It took four years to complete, and the research is phenomenal.
on 29 July 2013
In this day when we think we need to have it all, and all at once, the idea that we should focus on One Thing is refreshing.

The practice introduced in this book, of asking myself each day (or week), 'What one thing, if I did it, would make other things easier or unnecessary?' has changed how I approach prioritising my time.

Very, very useful. If you feel scattered, or like you are trying to manage too many things, or not handling things as well as you'd like, then take the time to read this.
on 5 May 2016
Very laboured in making the case - some helpful insights but ironically these could have been delivered in half the length and with three times the simplicity, which rather detracts from the experience and expectations.
on 9 April 2016
Can hardly say too much for this book it is brilliant ,not a quick read but well worth it,
would recommend the paper back copy as some of the sketches used are not sharp enough on the kindle
the main concept being :( what is the one thing i can do so that doing it things can become easier or not necessary) and applying it to different areas
of your life ,have only just started out on this but can see straight away how workable it can be,as with all these things though they need to be put into practice very good
on 7 May 2013
First, I confess to a lifelong struggle with procrastination and dragging my feet which has turned me into a bit of a productivity junkie.

Having set the scene, I found this book very helpful. The authors use stories to illustrate their premise - which always makes things easier to assimilate and understand - they also draw in threads from other books I have read recently which rather reinforces the points made there.

The book is an easy and enjoyable read but that doesn't mean its message doesn't pack a useful punch. It does. It is motivating as well as informative and practical.

I really liked the fact that the solution proposed is not just work related - the authors encourage you to focus on all domains of life - not, as they point out, to achieve balance but to recognise there is more to life than work.

The tips given about goal setting included the regular stuff that fellow productivity junkies will have read many times before BUT there is also a significant addition. an exercise, which you will almost certainly resist doing but if you do I am certain you will experience one of those 'aha' epiphanies of where it has all been going wrong in the past.

The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is because I think there was a chunk of repeated information at the back of the book which was unnecessary and I also question the price (I bought the KIndle edition) which did seem on the high side. (But that says more about my expectations than the value offered by the book).

Definitely recommended to anyone who is ending each day with a lot crossed off the ubiquitous list but with a sense of no-thing being done.
on 2 December 2014
One of the best books I've read in this genre. Including the "ONE Thing" idea it discusses how to leverage the power of habits instead of relying on willpower. Another book that covers this subject very well is called the "The Real Law Of Attraction" by George Abegha which even goes further in explaining the difference between Ego and the Real Self, how the Ego is really in control most of the time and how to program it to work for us in achieving great feats.
on 21 August 2014
Anybody with ambitions should give this a read!
It certainly puts things in perspective for you.

Interesting, inspiring, clever and well written.
on 8 June 2016
Brilliant book! If you want to achieve anything in life you have to dedicate time to it without distractions. The sort of book I need to read again and again through life to get me motivated, it really works but only if you apply what it says. I was totally fired up after reading this book but not long after I let everyday life and all its distractions take over again so will read again soon. Very enjoyable and gets you to ask yourself excellent questions- 'what is the one thing you can do today regarding...your finances/health/whatever you want to tackle...?'
and the first thing that pops into your head is going to be the right answer that has been staring you in the face all along.
We all know really what we should be doing, this book is like your personal trainer/ motivator inspiring you to get it done.
on 27 March 2016
A really good book that invites you to think of only the most important aspect of any task and goal. A lot of information really resonated especially with regards to time blocking. Will be putting a lot into action.