5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic.
Published on 26 Jan 2012 by annie freeman

3.0 out of 5 stars Tin Tin Fan
Bought this for my grandson as he and my daughter are mad Tin Tin fans . . . I had read an excellent review in the press about the book but so far no comment from grandson or daughter so unable to tell you much
Published 20 months ago by PatriciaBookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic., 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
I bought this book for work i am doing for an art project at my college. This book, in short, is fantastic. Really interesting and inciteful history of Herge and how Tintin was created, influenced by Belgium's political situation, colleaugues, his family and upbringing. From the very first page, small details are brought to life and explained thoroughly, but also humorously. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Biog / Tintin companion?, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
I'm not a great one for writing reviews, but this book was so good I just felt I had to.

I've read all 23 Tintin books. I always enjoy them, but have a feeling that there is more to them than I realise... And now I've read this book, I see so much more. It has made me want to go book a pore over each book, and look in more detail at them. I also feel I know more about Herge/Georges Remi, his context and where Tintin came from.

On top of all that, this book is eminently readable; is an ideal length, and really has something to say, even on a subject that has been written about extensively (albeit less so in English).

I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who has read any Tintin book. And, indeed, anyone who hasn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy tribute to Tintin`s creator, 8 Oct 2011
Little Cat Voom (The middle of England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
I never have been absolutely sure whether to call them graphic novels or books or stories or something else; apparently the format is bande-dessinee and Tintin was the first! If you`ve owned all the works for most of your life like me, and have added, when they were released, "Tintin in the Land of the Soviets", "Tintin in the Congo" and "Tintin and Alph-Art" to the collection, there is nowhere left to go except biographies! I`ve even bought the adventures of Jo, Zette and Jocko (which are a fairly mixed bag, to say the least)! But if you are unsure about where to start for more background about George Remi and the influences that imprinted themselves on his greatest creation, I would strongly endorse starting with this.

The author, Harry Thompson, has written an exhaustive bio of Peter Cook, and a funny book about Cricket too, so I know his writing style appeals and that his interests matched my own - his passing was a loss to people who share his humour and tastes, as I do - so chose this above others on the market, that are more expensive and look rather filled with psycho-babble to me (something Herge despised - he found catharsis more easily through his art than through many sessions of psychoanalysis).

Herge`s story is told in a linear fashion, in two ways - in the context of addressing his childhood, his typical Belgian Catholic upbringing and the impact that WW1/2 had on him personally and professionally but also each chapter is titled after the stories themselves - beginning with "In The Land of the Soviets" and so on. In the biographical sense, we learn how the wars forced him to change his work, and how the innocence and independence of Tintin`s early personality morphed into the more sociable but also more world-weary friend of Haddock/Calculus/Castafiore etc. Thompson observes that the Tintin of the early books is how Herge was when he was younger - whereas Captain Haddock is how Herge felt when he was older! It`s shocking to learn that Herge had even grown to loathe his creation to the degree that he sketched himself being hung by a malicious looking Tintin! Herge was under such pressure from people looking to exploit him that he suffered depression and marital problems, in his eyes all due to the weight of being the creator of Tintin.

Thompson`s book is both entertaining and informative, his witty style remaining fresh throughout (unsurprising, as he produced "Have I Got News For You"). Reading this has vastly improved my knowledge of Tintin`s creator; hopefully, the film this autumn will successfully introduce Tintin to yet more people, and whether you are one of those or a seasoned Tintinologist, I feel you will not only get a lot of enjoyment from this book but a really good insight into (to my eyes) the definitive comic book series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 21 Jan 2014
A must for all tintin fans Harry Thomson clearly is a fan and his knowledge of all thong Herge shine through .

4.0 out of 5 stars The Adventures of Tintin and the Turmoil of Herge, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
I have read a few of the Tintin books and am generally interested by the idea of the European Bande Dessinee (of which, according to Harry Thompson, Herge is the father). Having said that, this is possibly a book more suited to people with a heavier interest in the young Belgian adventurer than I have. Nevertheless, this is an interesting read that fluently connects Tintin's escapades with the life of Herge (Georges Remi). At least parts of the latter's existence were passed in deep inner turmoil, which to some extent manifested itself in the books and in Herge's love- hate relationship with the character that made him extremely rich and very famous. (Apparently, 'Tintin in Tibet' was inspired by dreams of white snowy wastes at a particularly low point for the writer.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about the iconic Belgian, 3 Mar 2012
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
A wonderful book, taking George Remi's creation Herge and the Tintin books in chronological order, showing how they reflected Herge's growing talent and critical contemporary events.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tin Tin Fan, 7 Mar 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Adventures of Tin Tin, 19 Mar 2012
Stephen Holmes "Stephen the Manx-man" (Douglas, Ellan Vannin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tintin: Herge and His Creation (Paperback)
What a lovely book! What a great writer and what a sad loss to Britain. This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson is, quite simply, brilliant. His biography of Peter Cook is revealing and funny; Penguins Stopped Play is "laugh out loud" writing; I haven't bought Ingram!

Although he is no longer with us, we should all have This Thing of Darkness (To the Edge of the World in the USA) - it is utterly brilliant. R.I.P. HarryThis Thing of Darkness

Tintin: Herge and His Creation
Tintin: Herge and His Creation by Harry Thompson (Paperback - 13 Oct 2011)