4.0 out of 5 stars A romp through English history.
This is a very readable romp through English history. The writer is witty and partisan, do not expect a balanced view of the Great events of our history. It was a bit "boy's own", in fact it reminded me of the Ladybird Histories of my childhood.
Published on 20 July 2012 by KAW

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough detail !
This book came as a huge disappointemnt. The author - many of whose other works I have enjoyed - simply does not give enough space/text to most of the sites he is supposed to be discussing. The book is full of anecdotal history and obvious (often irrelevant) padding - so that the actual places themselves often receive short shrift.
He would have been far better...
Published 9 months ago by F. J. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars A romp through English history., 20 July 2012
The negative was that for me there was not enough about the places, especially in the middle sections of the book, for example Oliver Cromwell's House, has one sentence about the house in the albeit entertaining biography of Cromwell. I wanted to know more about the places and why they had been chosen.
I imagine that much of the book is based on memory and opinion, there probably was not a lot of fact checking and like other reviewers I tried to read it with that in mind and will not point out the dubious historical facts, but I do have to take issue with the writer's words on the Brick Lane Mosque "Alas, like most mosques in this country, it is not open to the infidel." I have visited several mosques in this country and although non-Muslim have always been given a warm welcome. If the mosque in Brick Lane does not welcome visitors from other faiths then I would imagine that it is the exception rather than the rule.

4.0 out of 5 stars A History Of England in 100 places, 25 Jan 2012
A very interesting book with a different slant - seeing history through the basis of landmark buildings/sites. I found this a very interesting read with John Julis Norwich's observations subtle, witty and insightful.I found this a can't put down book and was eagerly looking forward to the next place of interest in the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A personal tour, 28 Sep 2012
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A History of England in 100 Places: From Stonehenge to the Gherkin (Paperback)
If Boris Johnson was a historian he would be John Julius Norwich. Slightly bonkers, always fun and with a sound foundation of knowledge, Norwich guides us on a whistle-stop tour of English history.

I particularly liked the personal, conversational tone. The author wears his learning lightly, as in a description of Stonehenge, where he recalls being taken as a child and climbing over the stones dressed in a pair of tiny leopard-skin shorts.

There are dozens of colour photographs (in the hardback edition) although none of the leopard-print shorts. There are also a few modern black-and-white woodblock prints, which seemed a bit out of place. I would have prefered to have had one illustration per building, or none at all but overall this is a very enjoyable, quirky guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars A History of England in 100 places, 3 July 2013
This is a very interesting book, linking together the iconic buildings that bring to mind the sights and sounds of this country

5.0 out of 5 stars a different approach, 28 Jun 2013
neither history book nor travel guide, but something of both.
Very readable, and has already led us to visit Flag Fen which we pass close to quite often, but never got around to visiting - well worth the time, and do ask when you'll be able to see the boats.
Already picked out another spot we haven't been to, as well as reading about some we have.
One of my best buys

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a present for my mum - she said it was really good., 10 April 2013
F. Smith (Norwich England) - See all my reviews
I haven't read this myself but my mum is an avid history fan (as am I) who taught A level history and politics for 20 years - she said it was good so i would go with that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugley Enjoyable, 9 April 2012
M. D. Holley (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
What a wonderful writer John Julius Norwich is, and a breath of fresh air too! In his epilogue, he mentions Shakespeare's history plays, and how they are a good way of learning about fourteenth and fifteenth century English history. That is the spirit of this book. Don't expect a dry academic discussion; don't expect 100% accuracy; do be prepared for the author taking the occasional liberty in the name of a good storyline; do expect some strong personal viewpoints.

He is a marvellous story teller, full of fun and humour, while at the same time drawing out the deeper meaning behind each episode.

I expected this book to be the type that you dip in and out of. Fat chance! Once started I was hooked and took in huge chunks at a time. There is a strong narrative running through it all, so best to start at the beginning and keep going.

The 100 places are the framework on which the book is built. Julius Norwich has been involved with the National Trust for years so he has excellent insights into our most fascinating locations. A huge amount of thought has obviously gone into the selection of the 100 places. Having finished the book, I shall keep it handy as it can now be used as a travel guide - it will keep me going for decades I should think.

I will supress the urge to spell out the inaccuracies I spotted, or to draw attention to the occasional viewpoint which I found distasteful. Such nitpicking would go against the spirit of this book, for the story is the thing.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, a really different way of looking at the history of England., 1 April 2014
The author really makes the places he has chosen come alive with events that happened there. He has also chosen some 'not so obvious' places which makes a change. I would thoroughly recommend this as not only an interesting factual history but also a travel guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine book with only one problem out of the hundred, 9 Feb 2014
Nicholas Walton (London) - See all my reviews
This was far better than I expected. A history in 100 places felt like a gimmick at first, and to be fair I was slightly unconvinced by the early bits, especially pre-history. Also, talking about the remoteness of part of Northumberland only serves to make me feel that the whole thing is all slightly southern in bias.

But the book turned into a quirky, informative and fluent page turner. Yes, there is enough JJN in it to demand that you like his style - but if you do, then the way he's chosen emblematic bits and pieces from England's history turns into a neat way to gallop through a couple of thousand years (plus) of history, pulling together a decent narrative about the place as it goes.

My only real problem with his selection (I can cope with his missing out of glorious spots like Durham cathedral, as that's just the style in which the book is written) is with the National Theatre towards the end. He's already talked about drama with the Globe Theatre, and I saw little to add apart from his gushing praise for more theatre - and in doing so he lost the perfect opportunity to throw in something that spoke about England's gift to the world through organised sport. That is surely a vital part of England's story. At that point he became a touch too patrician elite for my liking, but it was a minor glitch in a fine book.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of England 100 Places, 6 April 2013
This is an excellent dip into history from the historian John Julius Norwich. His selection of sites was certainly informative, and extensive in England. recommended read.

A History of England in 100 Places: From Stonehenge to the Gherkin
A History of England in 100 Places: From Stonehenge to the Gherkin by John Julius Norwich (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
9.09