5.0 out of 5 stars Rory Clements does it again
I received my pre ordered copy of Prince two weekends ago, when I had a friend staying with me and felt it would be very rude if I started reading it while she was here, as I would become very antisocial. So I started - and finished the book last weekend. I could have spent all day Saturday reading it, but decided to ration myself.
I am a Tudor enthusiast and can be...
Published on 25 May 2011 by Dr. J. M. Moore

2.0 out of 5 stars the bar has slipped.. :(
I have loved the first 2 books in this series, a real contender for the historical fiction crown that Sansom wears. Martyr & Revenger are simply fantastic reads, but sadly Price really doesn't come up to scratch.

For me, it seems almost as if a different person wrote the books, the characters are different including John Shakespeare the main character, it is...
Published on 30 Jun. 2011 by Philip Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory Clements does it again, 25 May 2011
I am a Tudor enthusiast and can be a bit critical. However Clements knows what he is writing about as much as any Tudor scholar. Even down to accurately describing the charcoal burning industry (that's how pathetically nitpicky I am). And I learned several things about Elizabethan militeria that I never thought I would be interested in. As one reviewer implied, if more history books could be written like this, then many many more people would engage with history.
I see reviews above have already hinted at themes in the book, but trust me, they have given nothing of the plot away. This is such a detailed interweaved story full of twists and turns. I thought I had reached the denouement, but then realised I had over 100 pages more to read, so that gives you an idea of the complexity of the plot. I think John Shakespeare has much more mileage, and as one reviewer has commented, he is quite different from Sansom's Matthew Shardlake, and although I like both the characters, I think John Shakespeare has more potential for development. I can't wait for the next volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better and better, 24 May 2011
Jeff "roadrunner" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Rory Clements' books keep improving. The first two were good but this is the best so far. As good as CJ Sansom? Make that 'better than'! Clements' plots have far more about them, have more action and pace. His style is excellent, making his books easy to read as well as enjoyable. I was very dubious in the first novel about bringing in the real Shakespeare [Will] into a novel with his fictitious brother but in the second novel this worked well and here also where Will is in potentially big trouble as his fellow playwrights Marlowe and Kydd have been murdered and tortured. Clements' research on these and other topics is, as you might expect, spot on and there is great period atmosphere. Salutary also that one of the main themes of this novel is a problem still with us today. To go back to Sansom for a moment - in his latest book 'Heartstone' I came to dislike Shardlake quite a bit, seeing him as a nosy busybody. John Shakespeare isn't like that at all but there were times when I felt him to be something of a stuck-up prig, a bit too full of his own importance. I hope he isn't allowed to go too far down that road. Overall, an excellent read and highly recommended [but read the others first].

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince, 9 Jun. 2011
Yet again Rory Clements has excelled, a thoroughly absorbing tale written in such a manner it was dificult to put down.
I found this volume to be equally as good as his previous novels, this is not always the case with some other authors.
My problem is that Rory Clements cannot write as quickly as I can read.
I look forward to the next

5.0 out of 5 stars A Roasting for Boltfoot Cooper, 14 May 2011
Once again Rory Clements has produced a cracking adventure , that is full of intrigue and double dealing set in the England of 1593.England is a powder keg of rumour and fear and once again John Shakespear investigations take him from the Royal horse races to the opulent chambers of Black Luce`s brothel.The in-depth research and passion for the period takes the reader from the theatrical underworld of Marlowe and Kyd to the pain-wracked torture cells of priest-hunter Richard Topcliffe and into a explosive encounter at sea.This is the third outing of John Shakespear and for me he is now right up there with C.J.Samson Matthew Shardlake with this engrossing thriller that had me page turning into the early hour`s of the morning,more please as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, 23 Aug. 2011
Loved this. Lived up to the "if you like CJ Sansom you will like this" label. Great plot, great characters. Captivated from beginning to end. Took it on holiday and could not put it down, which was good as the day I read it, it rained all day so I had plenty of time to sit down in our Lake District hotel, and read it cover to cover in a fantastic comfy chair, coffee on tap. More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince, 13 July 2011
More Elizabethan skullduggery and intrigue from Mr Clements and every bit as good as the other two books. This time we have pensioner QE1 coming to the end of her reign and as the body count increases, the fight is on for her throne with an unknown pretender waiting in the wings.

Rory Clements characters are vibrant and he writes with great authority at an enjoyable pace as the plot evolves, twists and turns as any good thriller should, unlike the plodding narrative and somewhat dull characters of CJ Samsun.

The bawdy olde English is a joy to read - Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Explosive Historical Masterpiece!, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Prince: John Shakespeare 3 (Paperback)
Rory Clements delivered 2 great novels in Martyr and Revenger. When purchasing Prince, the third in in the Shakespeare series, I was hoping he had managed to keep up the high standard of storytelling.

I wasn't disappointed!. The novel starts off with a cracking first chapter and this launches the book into a world of intrigue and spies and a threat to the throne of England. There are plenty of explosive sequences to hold the reader's interest.

Many of the great characters are back, including Boltfoot Cooper Topcliffe and Cecil and they are joined by many fully-developed characters, all out for there own motives.

Full of twists and turns and with plenty of great narrative to describe the sights and smells of London (but not over the top - Sansom take note), this is one book that is hard not to like.

Mr Clements-you have done it again. Congratulations on another fine effort!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dark thriller from Rory Clements, 27 Sept. 2011
The third John Shakespeare book from Rory Clements is a real thriller. For my money he succeeds becaause he creates interesting stories with compelling characters around real historical characters and events; if you liked the Shardlake books of CJ Sansom you'll love these. This time we get to know Shakespeare's sidekick Boltfoot Cooper a little better, and for the first time meet Sir Robert Cecil, Walsingham's successor as spymaster to Elizabeth. The murder of Christopher Marlowe, the Earl of Essex's intrigues, Spanish plots against the throne and a hate campaign against 'strangers' are all linked in an ingenious way by Clements, who throws in some Polanski's Macbeth style witches for good measure. Gripping and good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully creative and a solid read, 16 Feb. 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prince: John Shakespeare 3 (Paperback)
Historical Fiction is a genre that requires a great deal of preparation and whilst some of the facts within may seem like modern references, historically they're accurate and correct for the times within. In this case, the emotional as well as political turmoil about foreigners taking English Homes as well as jobs (which reached its height during the Great Fire of London.) The book is adaptive, wonderfully creative and takes the reader on a wonderful journey throughout.

Add to this an author that believes in giving the reader not only a journey but solid prose and of course decent pace that matches the time. All in a great piece of fun and one that I really enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'PRINCE by Rory Clements, 11 Mar. 2012
Bob Qman (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince: John Shakespeare 3 (Paperback)
Another fantastic volume of Clements Elizabethan mysteries, involving investigator John Shakespere. Bringing history to life

in fiction with fact.

Yet again I could not put this book down. It is intrigueing, on the edge of your seat reading from page one to the end.

I thouroughly reccomend all of this series of books and, hope that they don't stop with this one.

You can have the added bonus of buying them at good prices from Amazon as I do!

Prince: John Shakespeare 3
Prince: John Shakespeare 3 by Rory Clements (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)