5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable
I really enjoyed this book. Having been an expat myself in some 'hardship' postings I could relate to quite a lot of it. I could tell you multiple stories from my lives abroad (only not so well) which may sound equally preposterous but are absolutely true. This book is fun. It is not a hard hitting social commentary. Enjoy it for what it is.
Published 21 months ago by snowwhite181

3.0 out of 5 stars Relentless glibness
Having been involved in a small part of this world myself I was delighted to find this book and found some of it very amusing and recognisable. I did find the constant amusing stories a bit wearing towards the and the book is firmly about a certain type of middle class British family abroad.
Published 22 months ago by Clare in Kent

3.0 out of 5 stars Relentless glibness, 22 Sept. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 16 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Diplomatic Incidents: Memoirs of an (Un)diplomatic Wife (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Low level humour, 27 Sept. 2011
I seldom manage to read a book in one sitting, but this one is such an easy, not-mind-challenging read, I managed it at an airport. The incidents are numerous, but I found the book to rather superficial, with the incidents coming in rapid succession and without a great deal of detail. A number of them are sometimes slightly exagerrated (a guest, who overstayed his stay, returns unannounced to retrieve some objects and finds Cherry dancing on his bed in celebration of his departure). This is the kind of book you read, give to someone with an appropriate warning, and will never miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Ideal Guest room read!, 4 Oct. 2011
judith verity (wiltshire uk) - See all my reviews
Lightly written stories of diplomatic life, full of an excellent insight into the diplomat's family adapting to different cultures and climates. Each chapter stands on its own, thus making a good occasional read. Some very good tips on, for instance, how to empty a pomegranate of its pips. The author calls herself '(un) diplomatic', but only shows how her sense of humour helped make the life of a diplomat's family possible.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Very British Book, 21 May 2013
This is a very amusing book. Cherry Denman has an open mind, a ready wit and a good turn of phrase. She is an experienced traveller and has a very British outlook on life, stiff upper lip, sense of humour and love of the ridiculous.

This is a light and simple read with some good laugh out loud moments and is perfect to pop into the suitcase

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to be read on a train or in bed with one's partner., 22 Aug. 2013
This is a laugh out book , the trouble is the vision remains prompting further impromptu giggles at inappropriate times.Read it and travel to far flung outposts of the diplomatic service, but forget the glamour and be prepared for anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life of a diplomat's wife, 1 Nov. 2013
G. Colville (Hertford, England) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this very humorous account of the life of a diplomat's wife and what goes on behind the headlines, as it were. I would recommend the book as a very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Querky,insightful and Bang on the Money, 24 Jan. 2013
A great read with wonderful illustrations by the author herself - no hiding behind a diplomatic veil, she tells of diplomatic life as it is - I laughed out loud more than once !

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficially fun, 21 Sept. 2010
I was disappointed with this book. It certainly has it's funny moments. In fact, at times, it seems to have a few too many of them. The woman who gave birth in the middle of the earthquake with the hospital staff 'propping up the doorways so they wouldn't collapse'. (Did they really?) If it were just one anecdote like this, I might think it was amusing. But a whole book of them begins to sound just a little exaggerated.

The book isn't multi-dimensional enough to enable someone who has never experienced being a diplomatic wife abroad to understand or even begin to picture the experience; yet someone who has, or who has simply travelled a lot, is left wondering whether she had any experiences in foreign countries other than cocktail parties in embassies (which she didn't enjoy, incidentally).

Cherry reassures us that 'she wouldn't have missed it for the world'. But, when her book seems to lurch from moans about the inadequacy of her maids to complaints about cockroaches, I was left wondering, why?

4.0 out of 5 stars Diplomatic Incidents, 22 July 2014
I romped through this enjoyable book. Witty and funny, every expat will enjoy reading about her experiences.
I hope she will write some more.

Diplomatic Incidents: Memoirs of an (Un)diplomatic Wife
Diplomatic Incidents: Memoirs of an (Un)diplomatic Wife by Cherry Denman (Paperback - 12 May 2011)