4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 22 Jun 2011
This review is from: Eating for Britain (Paperback)
Well worth reading, this book looks at the broad spectrum of UK food that can compete with the best that Europe has to offer. The author spent a lot of time travelling throughout the country meeting producers and his (and their) passion for the food comes through clearly. He also has included quite a lot of the historical context which underlies the foods/dishes he examines, which is very interesting and which suggests that the phrase "British food revival" misses the point.
His writing is always entertaining and, while I dont always agree with his broader opinions on food, he makes clear and reasoned arguments.
If I have a criticism (and after the time and effort which was put in to write this book and the style with which it is written it seems almost coldhearted to criticise), I got the feeling that some of the chapters were a little too short, that a little more detail could have been included in some areas. But this is a minor quibble and I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in UK food
(and I would recommend his website too [...]
Looking forward to his next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an appreciation of British Cuisine, 14 May 2012
Rumbullion (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Simon Majumdar (a fellow Yorkshireman) has finally set the record straight on British cuisine. When done correctly with fresh ingredients, it can hold itd own with the rest of Europe. He does, however, explainf why it was so bad for so long which can be a cautionary tale for other nations (US? Or at least parts of it). I like SM's sense of humor (I'm writing from the US) as well as his keen isights.

One glaring omission, however. No mention of bubble and squeak ! Not exactly restaurant food but one of the tastiest left-overs ever and truly a great contribution to cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy yummy!, 30 Oct 2010
Em (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I borrowed this from the library - as even in paperback it was a bit pricey - what an excellent book! Made me buy pork scratchings from my butcher and eat them sureptitously in the corner out of sight from my daughter. Definitely worth a read -but get the price down !

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in the UK, 20 Jun 2010
T. Kempers (Steyning West Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
An absolute must read to obtain British citizenship !!!
I'll recommend Simon Majumdar to the Home Office .

Eating for Britain
Eating for Britain by Simon Majumdar (Paperback - 17 Mar 2011)