on 17 September 2009
I don't know whether Ben Morley wrote the spaces first, then filled them with the feelings and then just framed them with his words, but it seems to have worked. A simple story from a different perspective acts as a refreshing antidote to the perpetual doom and gloom of the fear within the world.

The artwork matches the vibe and the zeitgeist of a story that allows the reader to fill the spaces themselves, and the words and pictures mould together to create the feelings that float from the book.

Space that allows you to think - that's a neat trick.
on 5 September 2009
A great modern book which addresses up to date issues and makes children think without being too 'deep'. Thought provoking for any age of reader. The author has made great use of language which helps the sounds, sights and characters in the book really come alive. My favourite are the 'mischief makers' under the flyover and the 'biggies' listening to shouty music in the laundry room.
The pictures create a vivid image of modern life in a big city with a gritty, graffiti feel.
This is a must read, buy this book and share it with your friends!

The Silence Seeker
on 29 September 2009
For those looking for a book about immigration, this simple story of kindness will make you stop and think. A child tries to make sense of a bewildering world and is helped by a boy called Joe who offers the hand of friendship. Joe has little understanding of what it means to be an asylum seeker and neither did the 8 year olds I read this story to. However, this does not matter as Joe's fruitless attempt to find a 'quiet spot' in his chaotic city bring the children closer together. The well written narrative and eye catching illustrations helped children empathise in just the way I was looking for. A do not know of any other book for primary aged children which addresses this theme in such an engaging way. I loved it!
on 14 July 2010
A delightful book. Very well written and illustrated, it sheds light on a difficult topic from a unique angle, that of a young child, and is therefore very thought provoking. So as well as simply being a nice, illustrated story for younger children it stimulates discussion amongst older children (and adults) on the frequently taboo subject of asylum. We all look forward to the next one!
on 9 November 2009
A beautifully written book, with stunning illustrations, which educates young children about the issue of asylum seekers. My 3-year old son loves it and my class of 9 and 10 year olds got some terrific discussion out of it about compassion, respect and understanding of others' needs. It is a book I have donated to my school and have bought for all my nieces and nephews. Highly recommended and I look forward to reading more from Ben Morley.
on 1 February 2010
A fantastic read. Although aimed at a younger audience, this book deals with a theme that affects us all. Morley's use of language conveys a moral message in a simple way, effectively capturing the contemporary world through a child's eyes. The illustrations add to the mood of the story and I loved the reversal of the stereotypical images of refugee and `helper`. Definitely a book of our times. Looking forward to more from this author.
on 20 September 2009
Beautifully crafted, wonderfully written, and helped by illustrations that embellish and supplement the story superbly.

It's a book that's going to get your children thinking. Yes, they'll enjoy the story, but they'll doubtless have questions as to what it all means.

Highly recommended!
on 8 September 2009
This book gave me goose bumps - the author unbelievably communicates a complex and provocative tale that can be appreciated by both adults and children. The story touches a relevant and current social issue that most of us come across, in one way or another, in our daily lives. The subject matter is grim yet the author successfully allows us to take it in through the eyes of innocence. It's a shame that over time our outlook is pron to change. Buy this book and enjoy it - the message is there but at the same time its a great story that your child will enjoy. The illustrations are also fantastic and let the little ones appropriately peek into the big bad world.
on 21 September 2009
I have read this book many times to my two sons, who love this book every time I have opened the cover. The artwork is worth the money alone but the story is cleverly crafted and plays on the apparently gritty phrase "Asylum Seeker". Innocence of youth changes the phrase to "Silence Seeker". The lead character spends the book trying to find a silence for the new boy that has moved in from abroad. The book is quite simple on one level but thought provoking on many others - it is a book that I'd thoroughly recommend to any parent of bright, inquisitive children.
on 7 December 2009
Fantastic book and a great addition to our children's book collection. Very cool illustrations showing you don't have to use pencil crayons to produce illustrations with emotion and grace.
The story itself has a great feeling of compassion and a gentle pace without using any cheesy props or obvious metaphors which gives it longevity and depth to appeal to both children and adults. If only more world leaders read this to their children as opposed to "my pet goat" the world might be a more understanding place.
Andrew Kerr