Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 March 2010
This book is a must for any learner of the welsh language. There are very few books aimed at welsh learners and it was so nice to be able to read something in Welsh that I understood! The book has a series of e-mails written between 2 welsh speakers (one in Wales, one in Australia)and uses vocabulary you learn in the first few years of wlesh learning. Each page has a vocabulary section to translate any trickier words/phrases that have been used. Well worth buying if you want another resource to support your learning!
on 15 September 2010
This is a truly oustanding supplementary resource for students of Welsh at the beginner's level. It is a story presented in the form of email correspondence between two Welsh learners. The language is carefully graded, the story is entertaining and interesting, and the vocabulary introduced is all very practical and natural. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the beginning stages of Welsh study.
on 18 April 2012
I would absolutely recommend this to another learner as their first Welsh book. It starts of simply with short sentences and slowly gets more complicated towards the end (but even then, not very). If you're wondering what book to read to kick-start your reading, this is it.

It is also, however, really quite boring. This is probably inevitable considering its audience and the average limited vocabulary of a learner. The enjoyment of this book comes not from the plot or story but rather that feeling of 'Bloody hell, I'm reading a book that's not written in English!' I got through it quite easily, but I'm sure I'd have got through it quicker if I'd found it more interesting. If I could, I'd have given it 3.5 stars.

Once you've finished this one I'd suggest you try the Blodwen Jones books, then one called 'Modrybedd Afradlon'.
on 29 December 2014
I recently bought this book (ISBN 978-1-84851-105-7) and am very pleased that I did.
I'm doing my best to learn Welsh without the benefit of being able to attend a class, and have found (I'm currently about a quarter of the way through) this book to be very helpful and encouraging.
Some reviews say that the story is boring, but it is written for learners, not proficient readers, and I am finding that the emails between the friends begin as really simple messages, and gradually increase in technicality (by introducing word and grammar patterns) and variety (by introducing new vocabulary).
In the book, the two friends are both starting out learning the language, and as they learn more at their classes, they can introduce more complex and varied language in their messages to each other. The first ones are really simple "My name is . . . " and "I live in......", but the ones at the end of the book seem to be quite complicated. Certainly, the way the ones I have read so far greatly reflect my own learning, and it is really encouraging to be able to read something that uses the same words and tenses that I've been learning from other sources. When new words are first encountered, they are translated at the foot of the page, and there's a Geirfa at the end of the book (only Welsh to English!)
Maybe it's because I'm female and can relate to the topics that the two friends discuss (family and everyday things so far) that I am not finding it boring where others don't?
As per the back cover:
"The language in e-Ffrindiau has been graduated. As the story progresses the vocabulary and syntax develops and becomes more complicated. The book follows the Entry Level Course content for learning Welsh." And the subtitle is "nofel i ddysgwyr o lefel Mynediad ymlaen".
From my experience, it is a book that every adult Welsh-as-a-second-language student should have on their bookshelf and dip into regularly as their course progresses, or at least to use as revision.
Thank you to Lois Arnold for writing it in such a helpful manner - I shall certainly be looking out for other books written by you for learners!
on 1 November 2011
This book is fantastic if you are learning Welsh. I was actually reading it in Welsh and understanding it without translating. It is also a really good story to follow. I haven't put it down!!!
on 19 February 2014
This text was recommended by my tutor as an additional help in learning Welsh. It is written as an email correspondence between two Welsh learners on opposite sides of the world, and, as would happen in practice, the constructions and vocabulary gradually become more complex as the books moves on in time. It is written in "South Wales Welsh" and there are very useful footnotes throughout the book. I thoroughly recommend this text to entry-level Welsh learners.
on 19 March 2016
This was recommended to our class by our welsh teacher so figured I'd give it a go. If you are learning welsh this is a fantastic book - pitched at adults and will give you a real confidence boost as you realise after a few weeks of lessons that you know more than you think you do! Am really enjoying reading it in-between my weekly lessons!
on 6 February 2014
This is a clever book for learners of the Welsh language. The dialogue between the two friends at each end of the world gets steadily more complicated as the book progresses and the reader acquires knowledge of the two people involved and their activities.
on 10 September 2014
This book is a really good for Welsh learners and a start to understanding the nuances of the language. There a good interpretations into english of the many phrases used in the emails between these two friends.
on 15 February 2015
I am really enjoying this book. It is a great idea to practice with. I am going to try and find an email learning pen-pal to increase my learning. Well done to the author.