4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy tribute to Gower - recommended, 13 Jan 2010
G. Thomas "tribble" (Shrops, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gower (Hardcover)
As a native of Gower (in exile), I found this book an excellent and informative read: Jenkins is a masterful wordsmith (well, it is his job) and he does handsome justice to this unique peninsula. My one (minor) crit is his choice of the spelling of my home village, Rhossili, but since there have always been diverse spellings for this, doubtless he has his reasons.
For the text, prose and poetry alone, it gets five stars from me, however as a landscape photographer, especially of Gower, I bought this book primarily for its photographs: its evocative cover image being particularly inspirational.
The illustrations throughout though, are, as all photography must always be, very subjective for the viewer, and for me turns out to be a bit of a curate's egg. Undoubtedly there are other inspiring images and viewpoints, with conspicuous, and generally successful, use of the wide-angle lens, while others are frankly pedestrian. David Pearl has deliberately eschewed the inclusion of the many 'iconic', (or potentially hackneyed) views that Gower has to offer, in favour of rather too many mundane images which are not specific enough to Gower to warrant such prominence, in my view, and I think the book is possibly the poorer for it. The captioning of some of the photos is also, surprisingly, not particularly geographically accurate. So for my money, the photography gets three stars, bringing my score to four stars overall.
If I have been slightly disappointed by the illustrations, Nigel's illuminating and eminently readable text more than compensates.
Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Gower (Hardcover)
This book is a must for anyone who loves Poetry, Photography and the beautiful Gower Peninsula. The photographs are stunning and the poetry inspiring.
It makes a very pleasant change to see photographs, and read of other places in the Gower apart from the coast, as beautiful as it is. It shows that there is much more to Gower than it's fantastic coastline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pictures and a good read, 28 July 2013
CHERYL ANNE (Dewsbury,West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gower (Hardcover)
Enjoyed the book very much.A good read!!My Mum is welsh & thought it might be a good read for her too,she is still reading it but is enjoying it as well.

Gower
Gower by Nigel Jenkins (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2009)