5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book!
Published 24 months ago by Jaime

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful information for carers
I don't think this book deserves the predominantly 5* ratings that it has already received.

From a sufferer's point of view, I think the book provides helpful information and insight for carers on what people with eating disorders may be going through. It provides helpful support for carers (who probably need as much care and support as the sufferers) and I...
Published 2 months ago by espee84

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book!, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
Having read many books about eating disorders I almost didn't buy it as I wasn't sure if it would tell me anything different. Thankfully it did! It was so easy to read like having a chat with someone who truly understands the devastation eating disorders have on the whole family not just the person suffering with it. It provides reassurance, clear information and advice. When someone you love is ill you feel very isolated because the illness is so misunderstood it is often easier to say nothing than try to explain to people who just do not understand. I would recommend this book to everyone who is caring for someone with an eating disorder and also to people who would like to know more so they can offer support. It is written in such a caring understanding way it really does give hope to carry on helping your loved one fight this devasting disease. Thank you to Lynn and her family!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful & Really did give me hope!, 4 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
Although this book is primarily aimed at those who care for someone with an eating disorder, as someone who suffers from an ED I found it really useful too. Lots of books about recovery focus on telling you the author's tragic story and then that they got better, and that they're now recovered which as someone suffering is really frustrating because it doesn't tell you how they did it. But Hope with Eating Disorders is different.

It really did what it said on the cover and gave me hope. It made me realise that the pitfalls of the healthcare system are just that - pitfalls, and that it is possible to find good counsellors and therapists who can help you to get better.

My boyfriend has also read the book and now understands my eating disorder a lot better. I feel that he now knows how to challenge my eating disordered thoughts without it feeling like an attack on me, which helps us to try and fight the eating disorder together rather than arguing with each other. I'm sure many carers could benefit from this, as eating disordered behaviour can make everyone so frustrated - I know in my house we argued often about it.

I've never read a book about eating disorders that actually addresses directly the issues of the media and the internet - pro-anorexia websites have played a massive role in my illness and so having a book address those and tell those I care about why I might go on them, why they're terrible and what to watch for is really good.

I feel a lot like Lynn Crilly has said the things in this book that I often don't feel able to say myself. When I read it, the eating disordered part of me really didn't want to let anyone else read it because it was afraid they would understand too well and would "take my ED away from me". She has such insight into the anorexic mindset and explains things in a really easy to read way.

Of all the eating disorder books I have read, I would definitely recommend this one above the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope with Eating Disorders, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
This should be the first book you buy to help you understand eating disorders. As a parent of a teenage girl suffering from anorexia this book does what it says and more - not only does it give you hope it gives you confidence to challenge and question when things seem so bleak. It equips you with a wealth of clear impartial information - there are choices out there. Each sufferer is different and carers need hope that if one thing isn't working something else just might. We are not out the other side yet but we will get there. Lynn Crilly has actually been through this herself - and that's what makes this book different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - a postive and insightful guide that deserves a read by all!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
I agree, this book is a really insightful guide for those who are suffering from an eating disorder, or simply want to have a clearer insight into what an eating disorder consists of and what to look out for. Having never suffered/or known someone who has suffered from an eating disorder myself I still found the book extremely insightful, as it cleared up many of the myths we see commonly in the media currently regarding eating disorders in particular anorexia.
To read a full review on this book - [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
I think for the friends and family of those who suffer with an eating disorder, it can often be very difficult to fully understand the reasons behind their illness, which frequently leaves us feeling rather helpless. Hope with Eating Disorders is a self help guide fused with optimism, providing a beautifully unique and engaging read; shedding light on what can often be a very misunderstood subject! Definitely worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars With the support of Lynn - nothing seems impossible, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
Although this book appears to be primarily aimed at the carers of those with eating disorders, sometimes it's useful for the sufferer to see themselves as their own carer. As a sufferer myself, i can honestly say that Lynn's book has reassured me that what i am doing is right and has kept me going when i have doubted myself. Ive learned things that i didnt even know about myself and i can recognise how to help myself more now. Hope With Eating Disorders has helped my whole family to cope better and has taught us new and effective ways to move forwards towards recovery. With the support of Lynn - nothing seems impossible. Thankyou Lynn xx

5.0 out of 5 stars A grateful Client, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
Having worked with Lynn to help a member of my family, I know that this book will bring help, advice and comfort to many people. Eating disorders are extremely hard to live with both as a sufferer and as a family member or friend. This book is full of true experiences both of the author's family and those whom she has helped since. It is Lynn's positive attitude and strength of character that come through in the book and will make anyone who reads it realise that there is real HOPE for everyone and recovery is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome ray of optimism, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
Eating disorders have been approached in the same, negative way for too long: the outlook of many 'self-help' books is often bleak and uninspiring.

Now here is a book which radiates optimism, from its title to the beautifully colourful cover design.

Lynn Crilly writes with compassion and warmth, and is completely down to earth in her detailed but not overly complex explanations of eating disorders.

I warmly recommend this book to not only carers and parents of sufferers, but to anyone who wants to gain real insight into the world of eating disorders. This is a book you can feel good about, and come away with hope for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reading, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
A really insightful and hopeful book that really gets to the root of how eating disorders affect not only the sufferer but family and friends too. Gives so much positive and helpful advice and left me feeling so much more hopeful that I can help my 12 year old. Thank you for writing this invaluable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Hope with Eating Disorders (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book to all friends and families of eating disorder sufferers, as well all who are interested in learning more about them. It is also a supporting read for those who are currently suffering an eating disorder. Essential reading.

ARRAY(0xa4d0fc84)

Hope with Eating Disorders
Hope with Eating Disorders by Lynn Crilly (Paperback - 2 April 2012)
9.09