Format: PaperbackChange

on 4 November 2012
Although this book is primarily aimed at those who care for someone with an eating disorder, as someone who suffers from an ED I found it really useful too. Lots of books about recovery focus on telling you the author's tragic story and then that they got better, and that they're now recovered which as someone suffering is really frustrating because it doesn't tell you how they did it. But Hope with Eating Disorders is different.

It really did what it said on the cover and gave me hope. It made me realise that the pitfalls of the healthcare system are just that - pitfalls, and that it is possible to find good counsellors and therapists who can help you to get better.

My boyfriend has also read the book and now understands my eating disorder a lot better. I feel that he now knows how to challenge my eating disordered thoughts without it feeling like an attack on me, which helps us to try and fight the eating disorder together rather than arguing with each other. I'm sure many carers could benefit from this, as eating disordered behaviour can make everyone so frustrated - I know in my house we argued often about it.

I've never read a book about eating disorders that actually addresses directly the issues of the media and the internet - pro-anorexia websites have played a massive role in my illness and so having a book address those and tell those I care about why I might go on them, why they're terrible and what to watch for is really good.

I feel a lot like Lynn Crilly has said the things in this book that I often don't feel able to say myself. When I read it, the eating disordered part of me really didn't want to let anyone else read it because it was afraid they would understand too well and would "take my ED away from me". She has such insight into the anorexic mindset and explains things in a really easy to read way.

Of all the eating disorder books I have read, I would definitely recommend this one above the others.
on 27 April 2012
Having read many books about eating disorders I almost didn't buy it as I wasn't sure if it would tell me anything different. Thankfully it did! It was so easy to read like having a chat with someone who truly understands the devastation eating disorders have on the whole family not just the person suffering with it. It provides reassurance, clear information and advice. When someone you love is ill you feel very isolated because the illness is so misunderstood it is often easier to say nothing than try to explain to people who just do not understand. I would recommend this book to everyone who is caring for someone with an eating disorder and also to people who would like to know more so they can offer support. It is written in such a caring understanding way it really does give hope to carry on helping your loved one fight this devasting disease. Thank you to Lynn and her family!
on 4 April 2012
I think this book is a fantastic resource for carers who have a friend or family member suffering from an eating disorder. As a carer of an anorexic myself, I can honestly say that this book has provided me with great comfort. So often you face the pessimism of professionals, other carers or patients that eating disorders are a life sentence but Lynn's book gives hope that suffers (and carers!) can truly recover. I am grateful for all the research and personal knowledge that is imparted to carers in this book and found the testimonials included particularly valuable. It can seem quite lonely as a carer but reading about other people's experiences is reassuring. In summary, this is a fantastic resource for carers that will leave you feeling better armed to help your loved one in his/her recovery.
on 14 March 2014
The truth is eating disorders are not simple. Lynn Crilly presents all areas of eating disorders with sensitivity; reminding us all that there is hope, but the journey and the fight for a sufferer will not be pretty, painless or passive. Lynn squashing the idea that a sufferer can just 'get over it' if they were emotionally stronger, selfless, and certain of what they want in life. Highlighting Recovery is an ongoing personal journey that does not end with weight restoration; Lynn Crilly promises insight that often goes missed in 'eating disorder biographies'. Thank you for your contribution to this complex mental health area.
on 18 May 2014
An extremely useful source of support for anyone affected by Eating Disorders. It gives clear and compassionate examples from the author's work with clients, and her own daughter's journey of overcoming anorexia. Each chapter has its own merits, but the information on treatments and therapies will be particularly helpful to parents, other family members and friends. This book manages the balance very well of giving informed but non-judgmental advice for all who find themselves in the desperate place of wanting to help, or wanting to change to get on the right path away from disorder.
on 22 June 2015
My husband and I had no idea how deep despair and true desperation felt until our nine year old daughter developed anorexia nervosa. I had experienced bereavement early in life in extremely devastating circumstances but this felt infinitely worse and more terrifying. My mother-in-law spent hours trawling through shelves in the bookshops and reading reviews online to find us a book to give us the information we needed to begin to understand what was happening to our daughter. We were too exhausted just trying to get through each day. She chose Lynn's book, 'Hope with Eating Disorders' and almost from the moment I started reading it, during the time we were waiting to see a specialist, I felt we were going to turn a corner. I picked it up every night when I got into bed because when I got into bed the feeling of panic really took hold. Reading Lynn's book comforted me. Every time I started reading it, Lynn's optimistic, calm and professional voice came through the writing and I started to see that there was hope and that disaster wasn't inevitable. I began to believe we could do something about this vicious mental illness. This book explains what the different eating disorders are in a very clear and readable way and helps the reader understand what can be done to combat them. At no point does this book wallow in the awful experiences of patients and their carers, we all live through those. Instead it is totally focussed on which treatments and therapies can help and how different approaches can be effective. The tone is one of balance and optimism but in a very real context; Lynn uses many case studies to illustrate different aspects and experiences of treatment. These again deepened my understanding of the anorexia and at the same time made me feel less isolated and more hopeful.

My husband and I started reading this book at the beginning of the Easter holidays, 2015 and by the end of the holidays, having read her book several times, we instinctively felt that Lynn's approach to eating disorders, her incredible understanding, direct experience and optimism were exactly what we needed for our daughter. We have been extremely lucky to be able to have Lynn work with us for the last 10 weeks and with total focus and commitment from both sides the result is we have our daughter back. It is truly remarkable. We still have work to do but the worry has gone, everyone is happy, everyone is enjoying life again and we have strong strategies in place to see us through. If we had not read this book which opened our eyes to the strength of finding the right therapist to work alongside a consistent, loving, family-based attack on 'our' eating disorder, our family would be in a very different situation now. This book should be essential reading for anyone working with people with eating disorders or living through it with family or friends. Thank you SO much Lynn Crilly.
on 3 November 2012
'Hope with Eating Disorders' is a brilliant book as it caters for everyone. It gives hope to those who are suffering, those who are close to someone suffering or for someone who simply wants to gain a genuine understanding of the topic. As a past surfer myself, it's great to read a book that isn't scared to talk about the topic. Eating disorders are often seen as taboo, but `Hope with Eating Disorders' helps to see eating disorders in a more optimistic light.

I used to be a triathlete, so I've only known eating disorders in a sporting world. Reading `Hope with Eating Disorders' made me realise how easily other people can be affected, not just sports people. I found the `Eating Disorder and the Elderly' chapter very interesting. Reading about the challenges the elderly face was fascinating. Different challenges for different people can cause eating disorders.

I enjoyed the `Eating Disorders and Sport' chapter as it's close to my heart. The testimonials are brilliant and brings the book to life. I also enjoyed reading about the surveys that have been done around exercise. I find the facts remarkable!

`Hope with Eating Disorders' has a real positive tone through out. It really does give you hope. You can genuinely sense the passion from Lynn and the willpower she has to want to help others. I really recommend this book to anyone who is suffering or is concerned about someone else who is suffering. It will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.
on 19 September 2012
Hope with Eating Disorders. You know I ordered this book the day I managed to get my 13 year old daughter an ermergency g.p. appointment as she had started obsessing about calories, how I was cooking her food (no more ready meals then...) and exercising obsessively. Her mind had started wandering quite visibly and she wasn't the organised kid I was used to having around. She complained her hair was dry so I "invested" £35 on Kerastase products to help her. She wanted a gym membership and sold me on that as "all her friends were going there" and it was more sociable than any serious activity (well I could identify with THAT one).

But underneath my outward acceptance there was that little (maternal) voice saying "something isn't quite right here". The day before the emergency appointment with the Doctor I had confronted her as she had thrown her sandwiches away - not too well hidden as they were in the bottom of her school-bag. The fact that I'd used no butter or spread, the bread was wholegrain the ham very lean and the salad was undressed didn't seem to count for much. We had a chat. A very long chat. She admitted she hated her appearance not only because she was "massive" (you KNOW I'm going to say she is not and it is of course a given) but she thought she was ugly (well Catherine Zeta Jones eat your heart out if my girl is ugly) she also has a voice in her head that is meaner to her when she has dared to be happy and she is having thoughts of suicide. Hence the emergency appointment.

Lynn's book arrived the day after the Doctor's appointment. The appointment that could have been so different IF the Doctor had read Lynn's book. And probably very different if I had read it first too. But no, the consultation was hideous. My girl was weighed and measured. And referred on to the school nurse for nutritional advice. With another weigh-in scheduled for a month's time. "She is not really underweight, her height puts her in the 91st centile and her weight in the 75th, so maybe a little bit". And the suicidal thoughts? "nothing to worry about there are two types first is the one that says 'I don't want to be here anymore' and the second are the ones that mean someone is actually planning how and when". Oh, so nothing to worry about then Doc...... I did "idly wonder" when one became the other...

I have since taken the issue into school and talked to blank faces who whilst very sweet come out with platitudes such as "one step at a time, get her to eat a whole boiled egg instead of half". Did they know what a red bracelet might mean? or a blue one? No. And neither did I until I read Lynn's book. And when I did I cried loud hard and with much "mucous" = for the first time in a long time. And I looked no more attractive when I checked out my first pr-ana site. Be prepared for this one. My computer monitor is lucky to be still standing. And if you don't know the meaning of these wristbands and someone you love is wearing one (just as my girl has been doing for several months) then you will cry too. If for nothing else - read this book for this vital information and so much more besides. The support and love that comes through it and yes the HOPE is fabulous, but the solid no-nonsense information is gold. It is shocking, heart-aching and eye-popping. But it is essential.

Please, please, please make all of your home/school co-ordinators, your doctors, nurses, and all other health professionals aware of this book. Then hopefully - in time - carers, parents and most importantly sufferers will not be fobbed off through well-meaning ignorance - but ignorance all the same. They will get the help and support they need from day 1. Not passed from pillar to post. Please read Lynn Crilly's book. Then read it again. And pass the title on to someone else who you feel should read it - and for me I would say that this is pretty much everyone. Awareness is vital.

May we all live in hope and may that hope bring all that we hope for into fruition. God bless Lynn Crilly for spending 2 years writing this book.
on 31 August 2012
A very good read and one I would highly recommend especially if you are a carer or close friend of someone with an eating disorder or even a former sufferer.

What a minefield eating disorders are. So many different types - have you heard of all of these:

Anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, Over-eating (binge eating and compulsive eating)

EDNOS (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) which includes: Extreme dieting, routine starvation, purging without binging, diet pill addiction, chewing and spitting, compulsive night eating, compulsive exercise.

And a few less well known ones: Wannarexia, orthorexia, bigorexia, fatorexia, drunkorexia, manorexia, pica disorder and geophagy

Nor had I! Lynn covers more than just the well-known, yet little discussed, anorexia and bulimia and it's a fascinating book which has taught me a huge amount about the many guises of this mental illness.

Being a mother of a 12 year old girl I've been very aware of her relationship with food, commenting since she started school that she was 'fat' or had 'chunky thighs' or being 'bigger than my friends' yet she is tiny and will no doubt never have to worry about her weight. Reading the book has made me more aware of signs of when to know if this is childhood angst or something far more serious. However should I find myself faced with a sufferer I would now have far more tools to know how to approach them in an appropriate way.

I also saw a few things in there that struck a chord with me when I have done extreme diets or tried to lose weight in an unhealthy way. Thankfully this never led to anything more serious but it does show how easy it would be for a diet to turn into a whole different monster.

A large part of the book speaks about how building self confidence plays a huge role in helping people beat the illness and go on to lead 'normal' lives. I am a huge advocate for more work being in done in this area in schools and colleges and the examples in the book just bolster my views.

I would definitely recommend you read this book if you have any dealings with care, counselling, coaching or indeed have concerns of your own about yourself, your children, friends or loved ones - there'a mine of information in here that I have no doubt will benefit you.
on 3 April 2012
This book is the first of its kind on the market. Not only does it deal with eating disorders of all types but it does it in a language everyone can understand. It gives you a real insight into the mind of a suffer and let's you know where to go for help and support. I highly recommend reading Hope with eating disorders if you are even a little concerned about a loved ones eating habits, the sooner they are dealt with the better. Finally, this book does just what it says on the tin, it gives the reader hope that there is a cure for all eating disorders.