5.0 out of 5 stars Tools to create an exceptional life
"You Can Create An Exceptional Life" is based on a series of empowering and intimate conversations between best-selling authors Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson.
Published on 28 Nov 2011 by Niki Collins-queen, Author

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
For me this book does not add anything to Louise Hay.'s work and is a repetition of what has already been said by Louise Hay.
I also feel that the title is misleading. It is written by Cheryl Richardson and is a repetition of Louise Hay's teachings.
Published 17 months ago by mrs. b.bischoff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tools to create an exceptional life, 28 Nov 2011
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Louise and Cheryl begin the book with the core message, "There is a Universal energy, a Divine force that creates us; sustains us; connects us to one another; and works in cooperation with our thoughts, words, and actions to generate our life experiences...The formula is simple: Think thoughts that make you feel good, make choices that make you feel good, and take actions that make you feel good. Then surrender the outcome. Trusting that Life will bring you what you need to grow and be happy."
We CAN change what we do every day, in little ways, to deepen the groove of habitual thoughts that directly influence the quality of our lives by what we think and say to ourselves. We see, feel, send and affect energy in ways we seldom, if ever imagine. Like radiant stars sparkling in the night we live and breathe in a unified field of energy that connects us to one another.
Recurring themes are what we put into the world has a great effect on what we get back. Every situation can be transformed into a blessing with love. The power of affirmations sets up the day in the best possible way.
Don't break a habit - dissolve it! Don't use the word "break" because the pieces are still around when we break something. When we dissolve something the whole experience disappears.
Rather than redecorate hell by arguing consider a different approach. Reach out and mentally send love. Instead of using the ego's agenda of wanting to be right and justifying a position drop the defenses, listen with love and focus on a positive outcome. The solution will come quicker.
Louise says the more you turn away from the problem and stop wanting a solution NOW the quicker the solution comes. The affirmation, "All is well. Everything is working out for our highest good. Out of this situation only good will come" also helps. We want to select thoughts that contribute to creating love, joy, prosperity, good health and a happy peaceful mind.
Cheryl says over the years they both learned when there is defensiveness, there is no communication. Also when the problem is solved we need to let it go. Don't dip in the past and be miserable in the present. The more we complain, the more we find to complain about. Life gives us what we concentrate on. Don't become a constant victim of Life. Become more curious about things that bring joy.
Good affirmations are: Life loves me, this is a blessed day, I have time for everything I need to do today. Changing my thoughts is easy and comfortable, I send love to every person at work and while driving on the road.
Louise recommends we use the positive affirmation, "I have a wonderful, harmonious relationship with my mother (or whomever) if there is conflict or estrangement. When we stop having terrible thoughts about someone we create the space where there could be a harmonious relationship. "Bypass the issue and talk about what you want as if it is so...Ultimately it's the alignment of head and heart that creates the alchemy that gives your affirmations power." Louise says there is usually a positive change in a relationship if these affirmations are used daily from three to six months. However, she warns not to avoid feelings. You need to give yourself a chance to feel to figure out how to get out of the uncomfortable mental space.
When looking in the mirror (Louise calls it mirror work) tell yourself, "Hi kid you're looking good, I love you. Thank you for doing something good today."
Other topics include: How you live your day is how you live your life, loving ourselves and our bodies, manifesting positive relationships, bringing true prosperity and abundance to the world, aging consciously, the beauty of wisdom and facing death in a dignified peaceful way.
Cheryl says she can't get over the amount of energy Louise has at age 84.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like your favourite jumper.., 15 Jan 2013
P. A. Campbell "Lylac sun" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I absolutely loved this book, it was simple, thought provoking and straight to the point. It lifted me up and I felt great every time I picked it up. The army of affirmations were beautiful and so comforting....

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: You Can Create an Exceptional Life: Candid Conversations with Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson (Paperback)
I love Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson. This book was a good read, full of inspiration however I did find it abit repetitive, like they were trying to "fill" pages.Also, the book was quite short (considering alot of the info is repeated!),165 or so pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars you can create an exceptional life review, 7 May 2013
J. Davies (uk) - See all my reviews
I have read many books since the late 90's in fact, and have gained a wealth of knowledge. These days most books tend to say the same kind of thing in a roundabout way, with nothing new to reveal. However, this little book I found to be refreshing in as much as Louise shares how she runs life and how a typical morning would start for her. From looking on the outside in, I find this much more fascinating to read.
The book is set up from an interview perspective as Louise is interviewed by the lady who has written the book Cheryl Richardson. Again, this makes the book a little different.
Enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read and pick you up., 2 Feb 2013
I have read a few of Louise's books and this is yet another great read. Love the way Cheryl and Louise have put this together. It really did cheer me up and put a few things in perspective. Amazing when you view a problem with a different mind set, Magic really does happen. Thank you to Louise and Cheryl xx

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you will ever need to read...., 7 Oct 2011
Susan Byron (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent, 85 years of Louise Hays life lessons and wisdom, condensed into one beautifully crafted and articulated volume by Cheryl Richardson, who asked precisely the questions we have all wanted to the know the answers to? Louise, kind, gentle and gracious as ever answered them all. Whatever you are struggling with you will find the solution in this book. Its fresh, its powerful and one you will never be sorry you bought....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Reminder To Always Look On The Bright Side, 2 Oct 2011
This book is a great reminder to not let negative thoughts wheedle their way into your mind unchecked. Though really nothing new in this book - it again emphasises the need to be positive in all you actions, thoughts and beliefs - if you want to create a happy, abundant life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful book, 11 Dec 2012
This book was a delight to read from two really inspiring authors. It is such a heart warming book about the life that we all could be living in such peace and harmony with ourselves and others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, 7 Feb 2012
Alex Lay "Alex" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
I have mixed thoughts on Louise Hay and her theory about thoughts.
Firstly, I think she is a genuine and nice person.
She's clearly done well to recover from a bad childhood and has made a name for herself in the self-help market.

For a while, I was reading a lot about affirmations (and the law of attraction).
I was getting pumped, thinking 'Awesome. I can create my own life and change things through my thinking'.
I got into these kinds of books because I was badly affected by a pharmaceutical drug given out for Acne (called Accutane). I became very willing to participate in anything that promised me recovery in health. I'm still trying to improve as well as I can.

At some point, I came across 'You Can Heal Your Life'.
I'm going to state now that I think it's insane to tell yourself 'I am experiencing perfect health' when really you have a set of diseases.
And yet, I tried it for a while.
I got bored of denying the truth though.
I don't think it's good to lie to yourself.
I don't see how you can suddenly believe the lies.
I think it's pretty inevitable that you'll give up.
If you have cancer, saying 'The cancer is gone' will not do you any good.
Yeah, Louise got rid of her Cancer without chemotherapy.
That's quite an achievement.
I think it were down to eating well though, and being happy, rather than lying to herself about the facts.

I am open-minded though.
I believe there is a mind-body connection.
It's clear that stress and worry can wreck havoc on your health over time.

But I do think many authors (not necessarily including Ms. Hay) pounce on the chance to market something that will appeal to many people.
The Secret is a prime example. It's name is even overhyped.
So many of these Law of Attraction folk seem to just make a living through a book telling you how to get what you want.
I don't believe that you can attract lots of money into your life just by repeating statements.

Affirmations are useful, however, when used realistically.
If you are someone who lacks in confidence, it's not at all a bad idea to repeat 'I love and approve of myself'.
But you do need to create the correct environment for affirmations.
You can't lie to yourself, because you will automatically feel like you're wasting your time.
If you're nervous about doing a performance though, saying 'I can do this' will certainly be useful.

Louise is, what, 85 now?
She's pretty hip.
But, she does say some bizarre things.
I have several of her products.
She just sounds nuts in 'I can do it' when she says 'Little babies love everything about themselves. Even their own faeces'. She says it like it's the most normal thing in the world.

In one of her affirmation CD's, she says 'I believe I have been homosexual, lesbian and heterosexual in previous lifetimes' (Something to that affect, at least). Bear in mind these are affirmations that you are supposed to believe in.
I'm a 21 year old boy/man. I don't think I have a been a lesbian before (Haha).

This book though.
This is the one I'm supposed to be talking about.

Well, in this book she says you should (out loud) thank your kettle for working.
This is apparently what she does.
And I believe her, but my Kettle doesn't need thanking.
It should work. It's what a Kettle does.
Madness.

I'm already half way through (though I guess I should read the whole book before reviewing).
The book is quite short.
It's not brilliant to be honest.
It's average.
Less so, if you've read other Hay books.
I've heard it all before.

I already knew her morning routine.
To me, it's not realistic and is a waste of time.
Cheryl, who writes this book alongside interviewing Louise, clearly admits she wasn't overjoyed with her life.
I don't mind honesty. I think it makes people more attractive.
But, isn't she another self-help 'Guru' who tells people how to be happy?
And yet, she says she was waking up stressed and negative before using Louise's morning routine.

And Louise talks constantly about approving of yourself. Accepting yourself.
And yet, you can see clearly that she has had some cosmetic surgery.
Self-help 'guru's are really just normal people like us.
They don't have all the answers, and the law of attraction is very debatable.
Your thoughts do not create everything that happens to you.
People get killed in car-crashes (sorry for the example) because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and accidents happen. Not because they are bad people, or because they are thinking negatively.

I want to summarise my review.
This book isn't anything special or new.
Yes - Thoughts are very important.
But, in my opinion they do not make things happen outside of your body. Not without action.
You shouldn't lie to yourself.
You should, on the other hand, take steps towards creating a better life.
You should also be more grateful for what you do have, instead of complaining about what's missing from your life.
Complaining and negativity do you no good.

I can't help but feel this book is a cash-in on previous workings.

3 stars (and that's probably generous).
I will read the rest of the book, but I can't see it surprising me with anything I haven't heard already.

Stefan Lay,