5.0 out of 5 stars The bond we need
Published on 27 Mar 2012 by M. Longazel

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow
Ive read quite a few books of this type and didnt find this as easy to read or immediately inspiring as say... Tolle. Still worthwhile if the writing style suits you.
Published on 24 May 2012 by Les47

5.0 out of 5 stars The bond we need, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us (Paperback)
Although I think the book is missing a major, if not the main, reason that western society has deteriorated (psychopaths that have risen to the top of the food chain and influenced society - read `Snakes in Suits', `Political Ponerology', and `Puzzling People' to name just a few) it does give many interesting examples that normal humans thrive in many ways in a society based on principles of sharing and mutual support and that the lack or deterioration of such a connection or bond is at the root of many ills and problems that we face as a society.

Her overall premise is that there is a bond to life that has not been fully explored that flies in the face of accepted beliefs and theories such as Darwin's evolution and Dawkin's selfish gene and I have to say that I really like her books because they open me up to new areas of thinking and research.

5.0 out of 5 stars A crucial perspective to test for viability, 16 Sep 2011
David Dewhurst (London) - See all my reviews
While Lynne McTaggart's latest will be very digestible for New Agers and self-proclaimed altruists, who will probably buy most copies, I think it should be taken seriously by those of us who have some pride in their scepticism, - even though it is endorsed by soft popularists who will provoke a 'not serious' response among harder nosed readers of popular science and sociology. The academic references I know about are solid, and the rest look pretty plausible.

The basic idea, that the whole system explains more than its elements, that we are inextricably linked - from sub-atomic particles, to individuals, to social groups, and therefore that our focus on individual identities and interests is warped, has been around for a while in some brands of mysticism, ancient philosophy and socialism (whatever the latter means - it's a word McTaggart wants to distance herself from). However McTaggart's marshalling of several hundred academic studies from physics, through biology and psychology to sociology and touches of politics and economics is an accomplished challenge to the western 'thingified' and isolated worldview which is losing utility.

The warm fuzzy conclusion, which I intellectually accept, is that we are happier, healthier and more fulfilled when we recognise our reflections in one another and act with loving altruism. But is there enough evidence to convince the naive social darwinist or game theorist who would define ultimate success as ethnically cleansing the rest of the universe and filling it with clones of oneself? Or more gently can you get the girl (or boy) without showing off or defamation?

Actually McTaggart cites theory and example from a Nobel prize winning schizophrenic to show that maybe you can. Collective co-operation, a bit like the elusive perfect market, can give everyone the best deal. It just takes more social sophistication. Making that implicit in most social interaction could be part of saving the world. And tracking the waves of interactions in most scenarios will teach us more about it. Towards that mindshift, 'The Bond' makes a good start; without it don't bet on getting (y)our selfish genes through the end of this century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Lynne McTaggart success, 17 Sep 2011
Lynne McTaggart is a gifted investigative journalist. If you've read any of her other other books - The Field; What Doctor's Dont' Tell You; The Intention Experiment - you'll know that in seeking to create a credible, usable language to further bridge selected science and faith thinking, she not only succeeds but also backs her findings up with validated research.

Never more so has this been true that in The Bond. It is overflowing with a new take on how everything exists as a micro part of a macro intelligent energy. Her siting of scores of studies from researchers, universities, scientists, medical schools and modern-day quantum physicists is a testament to her passion to draw people away from the media-hyped 'new-agey' type thinking around this topic.

What can sometimes be a bit of an intense read (the reports of experiments that substantiate McTaggarts principles are sometimes delivered in such detail that I found myself thinking 'please, just the top line') is overridden by the range of schools of thought that she manages to pull from, over 10s and 100s of years. She then links those theories over continents and generations to show that the evidence points to a single conclusion. Brilliant!

If you've read no other Lynne McTaggart, I recommend starting with The Field to understand the foundations of this subject area, then The Intention Experiment ... then Then Bond.

If you're not convinced that everything's connected and purposeful by that point ... take a beach walk or stare at the detail of an orchid flower! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars another good book from Lynne Mc Taggart, 12 Sep 2011
After reading the authors previous works I wondered if The Bond would live up to her high standard of writing. I am not dissapointed, this is another book to relish reading and with much to learn from. It really stimulates my thinking and provides many interesting insights into how we are all connected.

5.0 out of 5 stars a better way, 2 Oct 2011
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
[Later note: "The Longevity Project" by Friedman and Martin is a groundbreaking 80-year study and overview of what is really directly linked to happiness and health. Don't miss!]

In this excellent book McTaggart has compiled together all that I had learned in my own voracious research for over a decade (probably closer to 2 decades, actually) - and much more. She started looking because she believed there must be a better way. Throughout this book she provides reams of proof that there is such a better way - and that we only need to change our focus to see how much of it can already be found in this world.

McTaggart has dedicated her life to finding a better way. Author of the exciting book "The Field" and founder of the invaluable newsletter "What Doctors Don't Tell You", which was one of the earliest of its type, in this book she pulls together a great deal of research about our deep need for connection and its wide-ranging rewards.

Myself a compulsive reader and compiler of enormous amounts of information on what research has discovered on happiness and health, I've read thousands (hundreds each year) of books varying from overcoming adversity, dealing with anger and/or fear, on forgiveness, through "true" success and all the way to optimism, gratitude and happiness. I learned to value the research-based books highly, given the numbers of self-help offerings apparently based on little but wishful thinking.

I've read about, investigated and/or experimented with so many processes, techniques and products for healing. From the mid-1990s I intensively researched nutrition, naturopathy, hands-on bodywork, energy healing and emotional healing. I spent tens of thousands on a huge variety of seminars, workshops and trainings. I'm not even going to start listing the endless spiritual books, tapes, CDs, and DVDs, including (and this is just a partial list) those by Walsch, Marciniak, King, Villoldo, Millman, Clow, Rasha, Osho, Aurobindo, Braden, Hicks, Long, Carey/Zoosh, Carroll, Hubbard, Perkins, Kybalion, Hall, Hawkins (David, not Stephen), de Mello, Redfield, Tolle, Renard and A Course in Miracles.

So I already knew a great deal of the information offered in this book about the importance of kinship, of helpfulness/giving, and of communication between living things to health, happiness and fulfillment; not just in humans but from the smallest to the largest, from plants and monkeys to planets and universes. The author has put all this information, and lots more, together in a thoughtful and insightful manner.

We have a deep need for ties, for community and for sharing - and McTaggart shares research showing, for example, that the closeness of one's social network is the major factor in prevention of heart disease, that emotions (positive and negative) are contagious, about the differences between western cultures fostering individualism and of eastern cultures' attention to context and relationship, and so much more. The author demonstrates how we are all hardwired to co-operate, rather than to compete, despite the dog-eat-dog world we are told is the natural way.

Yes indeed, there many better ways to be seen all around us. McTaggart is a leader in showing us one of these better ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars The science of the compassionate human spirit., 1 Sep 2013
This book illustrates our need as western people for the assurance of scientific evidence of the deeply profound truth (our intuition tells us just this, but we can't always hear it ) - that we thrive when we pull together; not when we compete.

Bravo Lynne - keep writing!

Jenny Connatty

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantalisingly close to World Peace., 7 Mar 2012
This book brings about a deep understanding of how we as a species seem to be so far from creating a World of Peace and Love, yet somehow we are so tantalisingly close.
Each chapter is full of those moments when you realise that everything makes so much more sense.
After reading this book and others such as `A New Earth' by Eckhart Tolle and `A Return to Love' by Marianne Williamson it is as though a light has been switched on after stumbling around in the dark for years.
These books and others like it help to bring about a much-needed change of heart for the World as a whole.
Q...What have the critics of these books got to offer when it comes to a change of heart for the World....'Survival of the fittest' in a `dog eat dog' World....Never! (That's my own view)

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow, 24 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool title, great read, 27 Nov 2011
There are just two writers whose new books I actively seek , Caroline Myss and Lynne McTaggart, so when I heard that Lynne was gestating a new tome I was on the lookout for its publication. Her latest book The Bond initially seemed to be oddly titled and had me somewhat "shaken but not stirred" until I got the message. The Bond is a natural sequel to The Field, the first offering a greater understanding of the Universal energy field and the second looks more deeply at the connections/bonds within the Field..very cool title Lynne!
Over the years I have bought at least ten copies of The Field to give to house guests and friends such was my passion for the book. The Bond is an equally compelling read though ,if I can be a little negative ,it is a bit too americanised in places for a welsh mindset! As with the Field, The Bond is very well referenced and arguments easy to follow ...Lynne has the habit of telling you stuff you already know but did not know you knew..like how in a dysfunctional team, when one disharmonious person is on holiday, peace prevails. I also like the discussion of inattentional blindness..how we often only see what our brain thinks is there and of latent inhibition..how we screen out much of the data we receive in order to avoid mental overload..like a hard drive crashing. Lynne also discusses the Harvard psychologist Shelley Carson `s team who apparently discovered that lifelong high achievers had low levels of latent inhibition and that schizophrenics have neurobiological similarities to these highly creative folk. She notes that Carson believed that what distinguished the insane from the poet was creative intelligence. Wow!
There is also a section on epigenetics and of Bruce Lipton's work ( Lipton's Biology of Belief is another of my top 10 books) . In the 60's Maurice Wilkins, who shared the Nobel prize with Watson and Crick for discovering DNA ,was my tutor at Kings in London so I had been breast fed on the central dogma from an early age . Thus when Lynne organised a conference a few years I ago at which Bruce Lipton presented his work on epigenetics which challenged this dogma , I was keen to listen but not predisposed to believe. However at the end of his talk everyone stood up applauding and at least half of the 400 or so were crying...as was I. Such is the power of truth. Likewise The Bond powerfully resonates with the truth and may, like me keep you up til 5.30 am, (much to the dismay of my Jack Russell who deserted my pillow for the depths of the duvet.) Thanks Lynne for another great book..its gets 5 stars from me but none from my dog! ...how about some more conferences though??

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bond: scienve and beyond., 2 Mar 2012
It's the third book from dear Lynne. The brave writer with the open mind and tremendous curiosity. She once again shows te ability to travle to the cutting edge of knowledge and come back to tell us about the amazing trips she made. And the jewels and vistas she found. She a true pioneer. In The Bond she describes many differet examples and phenmena in great detail. What things do realy bring us together? After reading the book I felt inspired and even more hope that we can create a better world. Not far away, but in our own world and neighbourhood. It's a joy reading.

The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us by Lynne McTaggart (Paperback - 15 Aug 2011)
Used & New from: 33.85