I have read many books on weight loss and all of them have helped in in some way. I wanted to review this book after I had read it to give an honest review.

Published on 27 Oct 2011 by C Brighton

3.0 out of 5 stars Course in Weight Loss
Published 16 months ago by Ace

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An open minded and powerful approach to understanding emotional eating., 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: A Course in Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever (Paperback)

First of all I was able to connect to this book more having read Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard and also because I am spiritually open minded. I had not heard much about the art of forgiveness until I read Gary Renard's book which I found extremely powerful.

In a Course in Weight Loss, once you get past the references to God (which is God as in your higher self/soul/all that is, not the one sitting on the clouds looking down or who is at the mercy of tragic religious conflicts) it is a lovely book of love written well by Marianne Williamson. I didn't complete all the actions but I did them up until about 6th or 7th action because I have already done quite a bit of clearing on my weight issues and they didn't all necessarily relate to me. I definitely felt the power of writing the letters to myself and although it might feel a bit funny, it's all about guiding yourself to clear out all the rubbish and negative baggage you are carrying around in your unconscious. To be able to forgive EVERYONE who has had an impact on you negatively is the biggest liberation you will ever give yourself. Why punish yourself for someone else's wrong doing?

It's common that weight issues are related to fear but often the person is not aware of the fear that is stopping them from losing weight. In my personal experience, there have been so many factors attributed to my weight issues, it hasn't just been about overeating but a negative pattern of behaviour that was personal to my own life experiences. The solution for me wasn't just about a bit of hypnotherapy or reading a Paul McKenna book, it's been that and much more. I have lost now about a stone in weight by simply changing my diet to a way that suits me and exercise as and when I can fit it in - a lifestyle choice. It's so important that you don't put pressure on yourself, just step by step over time. But ultimately you must get to the root issues, and this book will certainly help you on your way, if not completely.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., 13 Jan 2011
Anna Nolan "Blue eyes" (Stansted, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
As a dietician I am always interested in methods and approaches that help people achieve long-term weight loss. Understanding that being overweight is not about being greedy, but about feeding a part of the soul that is not being nurtured or loved by other means is the core issue in understanding tackling weight management.

Marianne Williamson targets this precisely and focuses on negative feelings as the cause of weight problems. My only criticism of this book is that the clue is in the title - "spiritual". Marianne invites the reader to call upon God for help and invoke his Divinity. This is all good and well if you have a faith and is difficult to interpret if you don't.

I advise those who have a faith to make an investment in this book. If not, you may get confused or angered by the frequent references to God and his divineness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Course in Weight Loss, 14 Mar 2013
I am a fan of Williamson and there are many areas of this book that are every well thought out. The central theme being that in order to be healthy we must love ourselves, surrender to God and find our true selves through meditation, pray, eating well and exercise. The chapters on food are brilliant and Williamson introduces a new and healthy way of looking at food and also eating. I also liked the chapters on identifying why you have put weight on (her examples of why she did not like her body were very enlightening) and also the exercise on how to get in tune with your true self.

My disappointment came in the layout and the way in which the book was written. There were many times I was frustrated with the lack of direction, repetition and the constant uselessness of paragraphs in this book. The gems are there, but you really have to look hard to find them. The book could be reduced by half, the exercises could easily be layed out at the end of each chapter, and the book could incorporate a 'in a nutshell' section at the end of each chapter.

I did not buy this book but loaned it from my local library - and I am really glad I did! Overall 3/5 stars because of the frustrations behind looking for the gems in the content.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something that works, 13 Dec 2010
I've read hundreds of diet books and not one has really made a difference to my weight loss. This week I was shocked to discover that I have effortlessly lost 5 lbs and I know this book is doing something to my head without me realising it. I guess the magic here is that A Course in Weight Loss is not a diet book at all - there are no recipes or exercise moves. What the author does bring up a lot are words like "god" and "pray" which had me a bit squeamish to begin with, but I just went with it and decided it to give my best effort. I feel so much more at peace now that I have accepted Marianne's gentle notion that food cravings are not something we should get angry with ourselves about, or feel that we should be strong enough to control them. The truth is that we aren't strong enough to do this on our own, or so many of us would have finally succeeded after all these years of trying! The book is written beautifully and is so easy to read. There are also helpful written exercises to try in each chapter. Try the spiritual approach, I think it will surprise you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A COURSE IN WEIGHT LOSS, 12 Feb 2013
From reading through this book first to get an overall idea, I would say this is a course for compulsive overeaters and not really for the general public who perhaps have more of a diet mentality and a poor body image , or who are just not happy with their size and want to get off the diet rollercoaster for once and for all.
But it's a book worth reading I think , as some parts and lessons are centered on self-care and self-love which is the key to healing eating disorders and issues , and not on dieting and losing weight. When the mind is healed , the issues are healed also and food and diet come naturally , not in a controlled self-abusing way like most people end up obsessing about calories and what foods to eat.
Marianne Williamson goes at this issue the right way, that its the mind first and then the body follows, its an inner journey to get outer results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very therapeutic n healing, 2 April 2011
This is not just another book in how to lose weight. It really is a book on how to love yourself. It is also a book that you will constantly refer back to over time.

5.0 out of 5 stars this will make you work!, 13 Mar 2011
This is not a book to to read and put down, you have to work through it chapter by chapter. There are tasks to complete at the end of each chapter so it is a working tool rather than a book just to read! If you really want to understand why you lose then put back on your weight, then this can help you understand yourself and how and why. Not for those that do not like looking within themselves for the answer to problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 21 Mar 2011
Mrs. L. W. Baxendale (Leeds. W. Yorks) - See all my reviews
I really recommend this book. It's very inspirational and looks at eating in a very positive and informative way. Get ready to look at things from a different angle. Must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weight loss, 17 Dec 2010
Mrs. L. W. Baxendale (Leeds. W. Yorks) - See all my reviews
I recommend this series of C D's. Marianne provides exceptional insights as to why we over/under eat. It's common sense, if you search deeply within yourself, as to your reasoning. It basically opens your eyes as how to reframe how you think of yourself and why you should be kind to yourself instead of self criticism. It is the gentlest way to find the new you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 25 Nov 2013
Opening this book I felt deep in my heart that this is the truth for most of the compulsive behavior.It just gave me a different aspect of what I've already realized. It is good structured in lessons leading you step by step to the right experience. I've already lost 8 pounds together with the diet and more energetic walks. Recommend it to everybody who wants to find harmony between the mind and the body.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›