5.0 out of 5 stars There must be more to life than this?? There is & it's here.
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Gillian Bayley

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay ... but not more
Three stars mean "It's okay", and that's what it is. Not more.
I was disappointed, and only approximately two times while reading the book I thought : Oh, that's interesting!
Published on 26 Feb 2010 by Marina Muller

5.0 out of 5 stars There must be more to life than this?? There is & it's here., 27 Mar 2010
Gillian Bayley "skycat" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Waking From Sleep: Why Awakening Experiences Occur and How to Make them Permanent (Paperback)
Every one of us has at some time, or will do before long, thought that there must be more to life than this?! More than working all your life to buy 'things' that inevitably trap us into needing to earn more money; more than spending your whole life achieving 'things' for it all to be taken away at the end of your life. It is no understatement to claim that Steve Taylor's book outlines exactly what the meaning of all life is.
Whether you're already on the path looking for something more, perhaps something spiritual or religious or scientific, this book gives you the answers we are all trying to find. It is the only concise work I have come across that ties in every possible path and discipline that is trying to work out and achieve a more meaningful life. I have read many books on the Buddhist path to enlightenment, the Sharmanistic way of achieving their own version of elightenment, and many many books on Quantum physics that also explain how things work on a subatomic level - basically every discipline is talking about the same thing, that of living in a more awakened state.
I cannot rate this book highly enough as quite possibly the most important thing I have ever read, and it has confirmed my feelings about death being a joyful event rather than something to be feared - I only wish he had written it years ago. This book is life-changing and absolutely needs to be read by everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to set you free, 11 Jan 2010
M. Sullivan "Train driver" (Ulverston) - See all my reviews
Following on from Steve Taylor' previous books, The Fall and Making Time, this is a logical development, and a deepening on some of themes he touched on before. In my opinion, this is his best book. It has been 13 years in the writing, he states in the introduction, and it has the depth of insight and the kind of condensed clarity which you would expect after such a long period. The book suggests that our normal state of consciousness is a kind of 'sleep' - a state of not being fully in touch with reality, not being fully aware of our surroundings or in touch with ourselves. Steve Taylor suggests that higher states of consciousness - or awakening experiences - are moments when these normal limitations slip away. There are many examples of awakening experiences collected by the author. He analyses the situations when they often occur, such as contact with nature, sport, dancing, listening to music etc, or through fasting and psychedelic drugs. He also suggests that some of the world's indigenous peoples, and even young children, are 'awake' in ways which we are not as adults.

By showing how our normal state is limited, and how we can 'wake up' both through temporary experiences and permanently, this book really changes the way you think about yourself and the world. It makes you realise that there is much more to the human mind than we realise. It's a massively invigorating and stimulating book which deserves a lot of a attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING, AMAZING AND INSIGHTFULLY BRILLIANT! ONE OF THE BEST SPIRITUAL BOOKS ON THE MARKET, 18 Aug 2010
This is a book for anyone who is going through positive changes, or for anybody who wants to transform their negative attitude into a positive one. When I read this book I was going through depression and this book helped me pull myself out of it. The author writes about poets and mystics who have also been through what Maslow called Peak Experiences, or spiritual experiences where people are suddenly transformed into a higher state of being. This book definately explains what people like Walt Whitman and Wordsword went through and what inspired them to write such flowering poetry. This book will make you think of intense and positive experiences which will inspire you to get in touch with your higher consciousness.
What I like about this book is that it gave examples and the author speaks from experience as well, so he is not just a researcher but has actually gone through his own kundalini awakening. This is for anybody who enjoys reading spiritual literature like 'The Power of Now', 'A New Earth' or any of the Hayhouse books. Don't think about it, get this book you will truly love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to read and reread, 3 Mar 2010
Mr. S. A. Kirk "stephen" (southampton, uk) - See all my reviews
As someone who has been a practising Buddhist and Meditator for over 40 years I can say that without a dobt Steve Taylor's insights into the 'waking' process are in accord with my own. I wish that I had had this book when I first started out.

I enjoyed reading this book because of the accessible way in which Steve Taylor introduces his understanding without getting 'bogged down' in the complex language of traditions or theories.
For those of you who would like to develop the awakened state (spirtual potential), either as a transient or permanent state this book is a good starting and for that matter a good ending point.
The reader is guided through a series of experiences and practises used not only by the author but also by several recognised spiritual adepts from different traditions and by 'normal' people.
This is a book about experiences and experiencing and is not to be confused with a philosophical or dogmatic tract.
I heartily recommend this book which is suitable for beginners and adepts alike.
A book to be read and reread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man's Possible Evolution, 7 Feb 2010
Mr. Colin F. Stanley (Nottingham, Notts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There are some of us, `outsiders' perhaps, who feel a certain dissatisfaction with our normal everyday consciousness and, excited about the potential of man's possible evolution, wish to transcend it. There are many, however, who show no interest in this and some among them even prepared to pour scorn. Steve Taylor's latest important book may well help to win over some of the disinterested whose minds are not entirely closed. In it he has assembled a body of evidence to support the trend towards the rise in consciousness which must inevitably lead to a new phase in the evolution of mankind. This is all presented, as in his previous books `Out Of Time', `The Fall', `Making Time', in an engaging personal style which is at the same time very precise, clear and readable. In an exciting and positive conclusion he writes: `It may be that in absolute wakefulness we reach the culmination of the evolutionary process...' What could be more important than that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Important Book, 17 May 2010
This book is so important for you to read. Steve Taylor points the reader in the correct direction to make sense of this world that we live in. On a par with Eckhart Tolle's work the author shows us that we are not just mere human beings living a miserable 70 years on this earth till we die. Read this book and wake up to the truth of your exsistence.You are so much more beautiful than you ever imagined. Life is more wonderful than you could ever have hoped for.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay ... but not more, 26 Feb 2010
Marina Muller "Nelli" (Kefalonia, Griechenland) - See all my reviews
Three stars mean "It's okay", and that's what it is. Not more.
I specifically found that the author was going over and over the same things, repeating and repeating himself, and referring back and forth to past or upcoming chapters of the same book. Also it seemed very one-dimensional written, only in the view of the personal experience of the author. In the end I skipped whole pages - and that, with me being a very patient reader, is a bad sign...

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychology of awakening, 13 July 2010
After reading New Earth by Eckhart Tolle ,which I loved, I sent for this book as Eckhart Tolle has written such a good review.I was not disappointed.
The book is the perfect companion to New Earth. It attempts to explain in Psychological terms how awakening experiences occur. I found the authors descriptions of his own and others experiences helpful.

Unlike other books that also describe Awakening experiences the author also then attempts to explain the inner changes these experiences can bring about. He proposes a theory of Life Energy " Blissful quality of life energy".
He advocates different ways of stilling this energy , Meditation, mindfulness, quietness etc so that we are able to generate a spiritual state.

That the book can explain a spiritual or awakening experience in Psychological terms is hopefully a step towards making the subject matter of Spiritual awakening much more mainstream and acceptable. He makes the experiences seem more like an everyday occurance that is available to anyone and everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there more to reality than currently meets your senses?, 16 Jun 2010
Maddy T (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Whatever an 'awakening' experience turns out to be on a scientific level, there is no doubt that it is a life-changing experience for many and can bring about a contentment and appreciation for life, and a tolerance and understanding of other people, which is not to be underestimated in its profundity.

I'm glad to see an author discussing 'awakening' in a way that makes those who have experienced it sound like normal rational human beings rather than complete psychotic nut jobs or airy away with the fairies dreamers. Steve seems to know his stuff and has researched well. He gets right under the skin of 'awakening' experiences giving the reader real insight into how it feels. He gives practical and insightful consideration to how and why awakening experiences may occur, he demystifies them and writes in a down-to-earth, easy to follow, amiable and entertaining style in an attempt to make 'awakening' more accessible to everyone.

A book that could help to give you an entirely different experience of 'reality'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and concise, 7 April 2010
Not since "The Power of Now" have I read a book which explains the concepts of consciousness and how it relates to our true reality in such unambiguous, clear and concise terms.

Steve Taylor goes to great lengths to avoid using common terms that may influence our understanding (i.e. such as `God', `Holy Spirit' etc.) and delivers an insight into a version of reality that is accessible to all.

A must read book for those seeking the true nature of the universe - and their part in it.

7.88