5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book
I always wondered why as an intelligent woman who was well able to organise her life and set and achieve many goals that I was unable to control my weight. Of course, many weight loss regimes have many success stories, however for the majority they don't work or only work temporarily.

This book doesn't offer any nutritional advice but shows how we mindlessly...
Published on 17 Jan 2007 by Mrs B

3.0 out of 5 stars Good on anecdotes, tips and tricks; not so good on the science of the politics of food
If you struggle with obesity this is a good book to read - it provides some context for understanding why we eat wrong and how we can eat better. It's a popular book, and a popular psychology book rather than a popular science book at that. You won't learn much about how these mechanisms actually work, only that they do.

The author is at his worst when he...
Published on 26 Jan 2011 by Jezza

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book, 17 Jan 2007
Mrs B (North West England) - See all my reviews

This book doesn't offer any nutritional advice but shows how we mindlessly allow weight to creep on and how we can just as easily let it creep off again. The changes suggested are subtle and yet easy to implement into a normal life and are sustainable in a longer term. If you are struggling with your weight and want to know how to retrain your eating without much real effort then please give this book a try.

Although the author offers many supporting scientific studies to support his statements it is far from being heavy and is a humourous and easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, surprising, and very useful indeed., 21 Jan 2008
Jenny PT (Tonbridge, kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a book written by a food research scientist, which has some really useful insights into how we eat without really thinking about it at all. Not only is it useful, it is funny, easy to read and entertaining all the way through. It got me thinking about why I eat (and drink)the way I do, the cues through each day which lead me to the cupboard. The author suggests that there is a margin of "mindless" eating, which is how most of us gain weight (slowly and without realising) and the same can be used to our advantage to lose weight in the same way. A fantastic book for anyone concerned about their weight, and also for those trying to help others with their eating difficulties. There is also a helpful website leading on from the book (read the book first).

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious science but an entertaining read, 1 May 2008
Mr. K. B. Thomas "Tom" (Beaconsfield, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst we all know how much we should eat, this book explains how we easily we lose control of what we actually consume. It's full of interesting experiments with jumbo buckets of stale popcorn, bottomless soup bowls and cheap wine (with expensive labels) that demonstrate the different factors that influence our daily eating decisions.

Each chapter contains useful tips, and following really can help you lose weight - or at least identify your danger scenarios when you are likely to overeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars MINDLESS EATING BRIAN WANSINK, 2 Dec 2009
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
WHAT A FANTASTIC BOOK. AN INFORMATIVE BUT EASY TO READ FACTUAL BOOK. HAVE BEEN A YOYO DIETER ALL OF MY LIFE, AND AM DELIGHTED TO FIND THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE UNDERSTANDS MY PREDICAMENT, EXPLAINS THE BIOLOGY BEHIND MY BINGES AND PROVIDES LOADS OF ADVICE ON HOW TO BECOME MORE AWARE OF WHAT, WHY AND WHEN WE EAT.
PLENTY OF COMMON SENSE AND A FEW SUPRISES.
I FOLLOWED THIS BOOK WITH "THE END OF OVEREATING" BY DAVID KESSLER AND IF ANYTHING....KESSLERS WAS EVEN MORE INFORMED. HIGHLY REC THE TWO TOGETHER.

SARA U.K.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent & loved it, 18 Nov 2009
Ms. Sharon Grimer "shaz20" (lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
i absolutely loevd this book. it had humour especially when writing about the different experiments with food and eating behaviour. the experiments complimented what hte author was trying to say beautifully. it didnt matter that it was written with the occasional ref to usa places as the concepts of mindless eating are universal. i am going to put his tips into practice straight away and will keep the book for future reference incase i slip. it really is an excellent book - well worth every penny - and fun and easy to read and understand. i am so pleased i came across it on here - i think it will revolutionalise thigns for me adn help me lose weigth mindlessly - without thinking much about it at all. thanks brian - congratulations on a great book

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read for anyone concerned with their weight, 27 July 2009
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
I consider myself to be pretty well read when it comes to any books relating to diet / weight loss. In fact I have bought dozens over the years!

This is a fantastic and amusing look at how we eat what we eat and it gives such a great insight that you may begin to understand yourself and your habits more than you have ever done.

This book is not a 'diet book' as my husband thought as he rolled his eyes at me, but is more a food psychology book.

I would totally recommend this book and I urge you to buy it! A lot of the references in the book relate to US food chains, but they are relevant here too (ie subway, McDonalds etc)and all in all, this book would be of use no matter where you live.

Fascinating stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting revelations, 12 Mar 2010
Karen Mason (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
Interesting book with some surprising revelations. Some of it of course anyone interested in eating (or not eating!) will have heard before but it was definitely worth buying and I have actually lost a few pounds by being more aware of mindless eating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 10 Sep 2009
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time (and trust me, I've read a LOT of books). The book is mostly based on the facts of scientific study, but the Author is incredibly down to earth and humourous and the book is a really good read (as the above reviewer says, it's isn't heavy).

We don't realise how much we think about food or how much we revolve around it, this book will make you sit up and think. It's food-psychology, science and downright good humour rolled into 1 paperback.

The author even recognises his own weaknesses when it comes to advertising and 'bargains', we are afterall, human.

Anyone wanting to eat healthily, or just pinpoint how/why they lose/gain weight as they do, must read this book! It really makes you think about your diet and puts you straight on fad/starvation/quick-fix diets.

You can lose weight with minimum fuss, the mindless way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind opening!!!, 27 Aug 2009
Benjamin Brown "Ben" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
This book is one of the most important books on food and health written this decade. Much more than a popular diet book, Dr Wansink details 20 years of published research, hidden away to most in the dietetics and nutrition field in marketing and psychology journals. What he and his team at Cornell University have found is mind blowing and will challenge your assumptions about what you eat, how much you eat and why you eat it. Most importantly however the book abounds with practical insights making the realisations in this book immediately relevant to improving your unconscious, mindless eating behaviour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Techniques that work, 6 Nov 2010
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mindless Eating (Paperback)
It contains a lot of techniques that actually work. Some of them seem amazingly simple such as use a smaller plate, some of them will be of things that you hadn't really thought of.
I have implemented several of them in my own life and they are making a difference. There is evidence behind everything in the book as well.
I did have a quick look at his website and he does seem to have lots of somewhat pointless items for sale. Hopefully he isn't turning into a "diet guru"
If you stick to the book though you should learn a lot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mindless Eating
Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink (Paperback - 6 July 2009)
Used & New from: 4.47