5.0 out of 5 stars You won't think the same way again...
Published on 27 Nov 2008 by A. S. Malloy

3.0 out of 5 stars The power of mind over body
How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body by David Hamilton, Hay House, London, 2008, 320 ff

The power of mind over body
By Howard Jones

Published on 29 Aug 2010 by Dr. H. A. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't think the same way again..., 27 Nov 2008
A. S. Malloy (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body expertly combines scientific research, real stories and practical advice in three distinct parts. The book identifies an increasing number of scientific studies being carried out around the world that prove the mind/body connection, so easily dismissed by western medicine and those willing to pop a cure-all pill or take a shot. However, the culmination of 20-30 or more years of research now firmly suggests that we have a much more important role to play in our own health and healing than we have ever before believed. David demystifies the role our thoughts and beliefs play in creating wellness and recovery from illness by presenting clear interpretations of the process and results of the research. This book also offers amazing and often humbling true life stories from people who have taken an active role in their own healing using visualisation and affirmation techniques. And for the practically minded or those willing to take responsibility for their own wellbeing, there is a large section with suggested visualisations covering many modern illnesses and afflictions (even ageing!)

In this book David easily guides both the newcomer to self-healing and the seasoned traveller with his clear analysis of science and understanding of the human mind. This book is for anyone willing to consider that there is more that can be done for their health than what their doctor tells them.

3.0 out of 5 stars The power of mind over body, 29 Aug 2010
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The power of mind over body
By Howard Jones

With this book David Hamilton returns to the theme of his first book, It's the Thought That Counts, but here the material is presented as a practical guide to how people can use the mind-body relation to heal themselves, a technique known as visualisation. It covers much the same ground as Louise Hay's You Can Heal Your Life. The work is the product of the experience that Hamilton has gained from public responses at his talks and workshops. Dr Hamilton qualified originally as an organic chemist and medical chemist and then went to work for a pharmaceutical company for four years. At the end of that time he left to become a freelance writer and lecturer. His focus on the mind's ability to heal the body derives from the effectiveness he observed of placebo treatments in drug trials during his pharmaceutical career.

The range of illnesses that can be treated to a large extent by visualisation is great and includes many potentially life-threatening conditions. I am glad to see that Hamilton adds cautiously that `improvements can be made' in debilitating conditions after claiming that `almost any illness can be healed using the mind'. This is a huge claim and tantamount to the Christian Science philosophy that we do not need the surgical techniques and drugs of modern medicine - a claim that I suspect few would agree with. On the other hand, complementary medicine and the principles of visualisation have a great deal to offer in reducing our dependence on allopathic medicine with its all-too-frequent and unpleasant side-effects. Still, there are claims that I believe overstate the case, like `We age at the rate we believe we're supposed to': mind-set certainly affects the aging process, positively or negatively, but it doesn't determine it.
Chapters on the power of positive thinking and belief, and the effectiveness of placebos lay the groundwork for a discussion of neuroplasticity - how the mind affects not only the brain but the whole body and can radically influence their biochemistry. The Buddhist philosophy of not dwelling on past failures and frustrations, or on future dreams that may never be fulfilled, both of which can be sources of significant stress, but rather focussing on living in the present moment is a key principle. Finding suitable affirmations that relate to your individual situation can be important here.
Part II, occupying half of the book, is devoted to true stories of the success of visualisations with long Appendices on the practicalities of the subject. There are several pages of References but no index.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, UK.

It's The Thought That Counts: Why Mind Over Matter Really Works
The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should read this book, 1 April 2009
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
This is a book that should be left in doctors waiting rooms in mass!!!

Everyone should read this book. I would love to travel to one of David's weekend retreats and I hope that he reaches out via other media sources soon.

I now visulise every day, and have seen vast improvements in my health. I also listen to Louise Hay's work often(this book is published by Hay House), which helps me to continue to have positive and loving thoughts and the effects it has had on my life are outstanding. It should be taught at schools!!!

This book is so very inspiring. There are true stories of people that have used the very simple techniques and changed the way they think to heal the most challenging illness and succeeded. There are even rare diseases mentioned such as Myasthenia, which I was shocked to see but also very pleased and inspired by, as I am recovering from this myself and I now know that I have the tools to do so within myself.

I do not beleive in popping pills and detest doctors. Therefore I found it most interesting to read a book that agrees with me and that it was written by someone that has spent the majority of their life working in the horrid pharmecutecal business. To down a chemical drug that only dampens, masks and creates further problems, is effectively screaming "shut up" to your body! You can cause no harm whatsoever by using visulisation and positive thinking and you will be amazed at what it brings into your life.

Do not hesitate - BUY THIS BOOK!!!!! It will change your life for the better...

5.0 out of 5 stars Be healthy, be positive. How? Read the book, 15 Feb 2010
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
Juvenal once said, "Sit mens sana in corpore sano." That should be the byline for this book.

It is a fascinating read for people who would like to take more control over their health. It all makes surprisingly good sense, even to me - a confirmed sceptic.

David Hamilton does not suggest for a moment that it replaces conventional medicine, far from it. What he does show is how a positive attitude can help assist the body, and a negative attitude can hinder it.

He collates recent scientific investigations and shows how they are consistent with well established scientific links between health in the mind and health in the body. He also recounts real cases and shows real methods to help with maintaining health or speeding up cures.

Think of how in sport one trains the pro-prioceptive reflexes, (balance, twitch reactions, ball skills, etc) by practice and careful observation of results, oneself and good examples. Now he is showing us how this can be extended to our inner health as well.

He discusses the well known placebo effect in great detail, and shows the probable mechanism by which it works. I found it amazing when he pointed out how it can be used to support standard medication and in some cases, once the patient's body knows how to perform with that medication, the body can sometimes respond to a placebo as if it were the genuine medicine.

He also shows how an adverse reaction can be produced by a negative influence. While he did not say it, I vividly remembered my own experiences in Africa where the local witchdoctor could bring a victim to death's door, purely by letting the victim know he had been cursed. We had to effectively bail out an African friend by buying off the witchdoctor.

I am an engineer, and a scientist, and I read the book with an initially very cynical attitude, but ended up thinking just how much good sense it made. And it turns out that for the last decade I have been using variants of his methods to (successfully so far) minimise the effects of osteoarthritis in my back and knees.

It is worth reading, just to see if you can benefit from it. There is no proselytising, and no preaching, just the facts laid out for us and some very helpful suggestions on how to make the best use of the information.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous book which increases our faith in ourselves!, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
A book that made me realise my mind/beliefs have a huge effect upon my behavior,actions, peace of mind. I am suffering with Lyme disease, I need all the faith in hope/healing I can get. I have a science background with spiritual background and my life was changed by this book. Not in a big way but it opened my eyes, now I am one/two steps more forward than what I was. Author cheered me up, I loved reading his book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant, 26 Jan 2014
A fabulous in this book teaching you how to heal your own body. A fabulous book. I would recommend it to anyone who is truly wanting to change their life and heal their body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, valuable book with great visualization exercises, 12 Oct 2013
Iona Main Stewart (Odense, Denmark) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
This is a valuable, practical book, especially for those with health problems, obviously.

The author cites statistics and scientific facts to show us, and convince us of, the power of positive thinking and of the placebo.

Visualization causes real chemical and structural changes in the brain. Mind changes matter. Psychotherapy also results in detectable changes in the brain.

Neurogenesis (formation of new neurons in the brain) occurs right up to the final days of our life, no matter our age. Learning a new language as an adult, learning to play a musical instrument, learning new dances or playing board games all develop the brain.

Thoughts produce chemicals in the brain. When we repeat a thought several times, an additional chemical (protein) is stimulated and makes its way to the centre of the neuron where it finds DNA. It here activates several genes of DNA which make the substances that produce new branches between the neurons. Thus, repeating a thought produces new connections between neurons. Genes are activated by a state of mind within minutes. It is this process that can lead to "miraculous" healings.

Not only does our mind affect our brain, but it affects our body at the cellular level. The author explains in detail how this happens.

When genes switch on, proteins are made to be used in the construction of new cells, skin, tendon, blood or bone.

The mind influences the growth of stem cells, which are cells that morph into any type of cells. A stem cell could become a bone cell, an immune cell, or whatever. As genes are activated, the stem cells grow into the cells they are required to become.

The mind can either encourage stem cells to morph into new cells or it can interfere with the process. If a person visualizes the healing of a damaged part of their body, they will be having an effect upon the morphing of stem cells into the required cell types for healing.

Seemingly miraculous healings from serious diseases are thus actually the result of the movement of stem cells from bone marrow and their morphing into cells that regenerate a damaged area.

This is the first time I've read anything like this, explaining the physical details of how visualization actually works.

If we imagine using our muscles, they will grow stronger. In one test, the muscle strength of one group doing physical training increased by 53%, while a group doing mental training instead increased their strength by 35%, though they hadn't lifted a finger. If we imagine lifting heavy weights, the brain and muscles are stimulated more than if we imagine lifting lighter weights.

Even just watching someone exercising affects our brains and muscles. Ha, ha, that's what I always suspected! Watching a great athlete performing makes you better at that event. Watching muscles working works much like visualization.

In a group who trained the little finger of their right hand, muscle strength increased by 50%, while in the group who merely watched the training, the strength of the little finger in their right hand increased by 32%.

We are given lots of statistical evidence about the effectiveness of guided imagery and mental imagery (visualization). Stroke patients can regain movement by imagining themselves moving, and those with Parkinson's disease can move more easily.

There are chapters on how to visualize and the power of affirmations. Having our attention focused on the ailing area activates that area and the part of the brain that governs it. According to what we imagine, "brain maps change and chemicals are released in the brain and throughout the body, genes are switched on and off, and stem cells receive instructions on which type of cells to become".

The chapter on visualization is extremely useful, the best material I've encountered.

Part II of the book contains true stories recounting how various persons healed themselves of serious diseases, including cancer, heart disease, chronic fatigue and autoimmune conditions, through their visualization work.

There's also a chapter on the power of love.

Finally, in Appendix I the author gives us his own Quantum Field Healing (QFH) visualization, which he states is a powerful symbolic visualization. We're also provided with stories of people who have successfully used QFH.

Appendix II contains innumerable examples of visualizations for specific diseases/ailments, including one for autoimmune conditions, which I have begun to do.

Here is a little one for getting rid of warts or verrucas:

"Imagine taking some coloured acid and rubbing it onto the cells in the wart or verruca, Watch them dissolve. Hear the fizzling sound. As each cell is dissolved, watch as the wart or verruca gets smaller and smaller and smaller."

This is a unique, exceedingly practical book. The author writes clearly and simply, but includes various helpful scientific explanations.

Although I already knew that visualization worked, my faith in it has been much increased, or greatly rekindled, in the reading of this book, so I have been motivated to start on my own visualization work. There are many, many examples of appropriate visualizations for various diseases.

This is the best book I've read on the subject of healing one's body in general and on visualization in particular. I strongly recommend that you purchase this valuable book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
This book is fabulous as it opens the belief that the mind is more powerful than we ever thought. It backs it up with science which somehow helps cement the possibilities and power. It has changed my view on sickness and the struggle has now been replaced with a knowing, a believing. It's a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 17 May 2012
Kitty Kooper (Sherwood Forest U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
I already had a good idea as to how I would feel about this book and it hasn`t disapointed me. Its uplifting and joyous, I just wonder when mainstream medicine will start to take books like this seriously. I felt better after reading it once and great after reading it twice I highly recomend it, a good self help book

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fascinating, 29 Dec 2008
This review is from: How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body (Paperback)
An absolutely fascinating book.

I went to a lecture on the subject of this book by David Hamilton eariler this year and was fascinated. I bought this book there and then and I have to say I was glad I did as it is a very interesting read. I'm generally rather sceptical about some of the more "airy fairy" healing methods that seem to be popping up, but this one was definitely worth a second look.

I'd heard about the placebo effect before, this describes that effect and then builds on it to extend it beyond just an effect observed when taking medication. I'm sure the stories in the book were felt to be true by those that related them, although I remain a little sceptical, but some of the facts and figures in the book do make you think twice about how you act when you're ill.

Well worth reading, I'll be taking a more positive outlook from now!

How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body
How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body by Dr. David Hamilton (Paperback - 27 Nov 2008)