5.0 out of 5 stars Bonktastic Page Turner Of A Read
Published 13 months ago by ElaineG

I like mindless chick lit books sometimes, but I expect to be able to turn my brain off entirely when reading them, not have it constantly switched back on by little irritations.

Published 10 months ago by JMay

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonktastic Page Turner Of A Read, 25 Jun. 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
This book is a real page turner, great fun to read and one which I absolutely adored. We have seven people, amongst them some of the richest, most powerful, most pampered people you could wish to meet. Although their paths may have crossed at the most lavish functions, they don't know each other that well at the start of the book, but that will soon change. The one thing they have in common is that one person wants revenge on them for past sins.

Part 1 of the book sets the scene. We are introduced to the characters during the six months before the revenge takes place. We get to know them, get an idea of what makes them tick and what they may have done to deserve the revenge. I loved this part of the book and what a bunch they turned out to be - spoiled, vain, greedy, arrogant and all seeming to have sex more often than I have cups of tea.

Part 2 deals with the act of revenge and the aftermath. I won't spoil the read, but our characters are going to find themselves in a totally alien environment, stripped of their possessions, their hangers on, their power. How will they react when they have to fend for themselves for the first time in their lives? Will they pull together as a team or will their egos not be able to take it? Will they get out of the hell they find themselves in? And what of their persecutor - will they put two and two together and realise that they have been set up? What if he isn't satisfied? And as for the people they have left behind - will they be able to take the strain of not knowing what has happened to them?

I loved the read, it was fun, sexy, thrilling, made me laugh more than a few times, and was just a complete page turner. Many thanks to the publisher for the ARC in return for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 July 2014
Book Addict Shaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
It's not often a book leaves me speechless but Power Games has managed it. Victoria Fox is an author I have wanted to read for a long time. I bought Wicked Ambition and Temptation Island a while ago but never got round to them. That is a mistake I will be rectifying ASAP. I feel like this book should come with one of those 'As good as...' stickers and it would say 'As good as Jackie Collins or your money back'. As Jackie is one of my all time favourite authors that is the biggest compliment I can give Victoria. I've never found an author in this genre whose books I devour and become addicted to as much as Jackie Collins, until now that is!

At almost 550 pages Power Games isn't a short read, but not one of those pages is wasted. For me it's one of those books that you never want to end but that you can't wait to finish to see how the story will conclude. If you've read the blurb then you will know that seven celebrities find themselves trapped on an island after their private jet crashes. But how do they get there? Billionaire Voldan Cane organises the crash after he discovers defaced pictures of the seven celebrities amongst his dead son's belongings. Before we reach the island however we go back in time a few months to meet the characters.

And what a bunch, the seven deadly sins are all here. What struck me at the beginning was how unlikeable some of them were. I found myself wondering whether I would like any of them, and which characters, if any, I would end up rooting for. We are introduced to so many characters all at once, but it didn't confuse me at all as that is common of this genre to focus on many different characters. The situations we are treated to before the crash are, as you would expect from this genre fabulously outrageous. But at the same time believable, especially in 2014 when some celebrities appear to be more out of control than ever. And as a bonkbuster, what about the sex? Well let's just say it would make a sex addict blush. Eye-poppingly addictive reading.

Once the celebrities find themselves stuck on the island it quickly becomes clear who is going to take charge and who the weak ones are. The one thing you should not do is underestimate Victoria, or assume that you know what is going to happen. She certainly kept me on my toes throughout the book, which is bursting with twists and turns. The characters are full of secrets too, and all have agendas and it was just fantastic waiting for it all to unravel. Alongside the action on the island we also get the POV of family and friends back home who are eagerly waiting for news. With short chapters most of the time I absolutely tore through this book in desperation to see how the story would finish. Gripping doesn't even come close. With books like these it's almost impossible to discuss the plot but what I will say is prepare to be shocked. Jaw dropping is usually somewhat of an exaggeration but mine did actually drop a few times reading this. Victoria's writing and the descriptions she uses are some of the best I've read, the book was absolutely amazing from start to finish and is a must read book this Summer that you would be mad to miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fox spins fame, fortune and secrets like Jackie Collins, 8 July 2014
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
Victoria Fox has most certainly got a Jackie Collins vibe. Her characters are large, loud, vivacious and unforgettable. You will either love them or hate them.

The reader follows the lives of the glitzy, the bold and the beautiful, the famous and the infamous. They are all busy hiding themselves and their secrets behind their celebrity personas.

I found it quite interesting that some of the characters are similar to real life public figures. I will leave other readers to draw their own conclusions about who they sound like. Needless to say some of the comparisons shed an uncomfortable light on the real identity behind the well-staged media images.

The lives of seven people are about to change forever on the whim of a twisted bitter old man, who is set on revenge no matter the cost or fallout. This very meticulously planned revenge is based on minor slights, embarrassments and rejections. Not really any reason to kill a person, let alone try to ruin their lives.

In a scenario reminiscent of Lost the victims are supposed to vanish without a trace, instead they end up depending on each other in an extreme situation. Fake smiles wither, good manners disappear and the real personalities can no longer be hidden from view.

Ever so slowly the strengths of some become apparent and the weaknesses of others could be the downfall of their fellow survivors.
If you’re looking for the kind of read similar to Jackie Collins or Danielle Steel then this should be right up your street.
I received a copy of this book courtesy of Harlequin UK and MIRA UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Jackie Collins wrote Lost!, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to get my hands on an early copy of this and took it away on my hols. I have always loved Victoria Fox novels but this one I absolutely RACED through! In about 5 hours in fact, from start to finish. From the very first lines describing the hot, sticky, dense jungle, to the deeply buried secrets of the rich and powerful whose lives begin to intertwine, this is addictive stuff. I just couldn't put it down until I'd been through every dark twist and turn (and there were plenty).

Perfect holiday reading, in my opinion. Sexy, punchy, edge of the seat stuff. Can't go wrong!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saucy Summer Read, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Kindle Edition)
I’m a massive Victoria Fox fan and when I saw Power Games up for grabs on NetGalley, I have to say I got pretty excited. Fox is known for her sexy storylines (with a high raunch-factor), larger than life characters and grandiose settings. Power Games did not disappoint on any of those fronts.

At the heart of this novel, you’ve got seven celebrities. They’re all pretty typical — vain, egotistical and ‘God’s gift.’ They don’t care who they hurt if it means getting their way and they’re not afraid to humiliate and screw over others. But then, one by one in years past or present, they all hurt the wrong person, a person whose father has limitless powers and can make the unimaginable happen.

With that, the seven celebs (all thinking they’re on a sort of missionary trip) are whisked off on a private jet which explodes over the Indian Ocean. Against all odds, they crash land on an uninhabited island. Egos must be put aside if they’re to survive and thrive as a group.

I loved Power Games. I loved the sexy jungle setting (but not the ant’s nests!) and the whole survival story aspect. It added an extra layer of depth to Fox’s newest offering and I raced through to find out who made it off the island alive.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost with hormones!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Kindle Edition)
I read this lying on a lounger in Greece last week and I couldn't put it down. It was perfect - complete escapism! We meet our characters in a glitzy glamorous world but the group of celebrities end up on a desert island, stripped of their comforts and with danger all around. The hot, dangerous environment and the menace of the jungle (not to mention the people) is exciting, and written so well. Her trademark brand of daring, tongue in cheek humour made me laugh out loud so many times. I had to read bits out to friends. This is possibly her most entertaining book! Kevin (the Justin Bieber of the group) is a REVELATION. And I was genuinely scared by a crocodile. SUCH FUN I heartily recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and startling!, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
This book is seriously delicious. Once you start reading it, you will NOT want to do anything else. The seven main characters, like the seven deadly sins, are utterly engrossing on so many levels. One of the things I love about Victoria Fox's books is that she isn't afraid to strip away the pretence and delve into the dark side of her creations. The plotting and pace are breathless, the sex is fabulously full-on, and every scene springs off the page, packing an emotional punch. Be warned! It WILL surprise you. The title says it all - this is a book about power that is powerfully written. Fierce, gripping and hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Victoria Fox - Power Games - A Powerful Read - Modern Jackie Collins, 13 July 2014
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Power Games (Paperback)
After having read Temptation Island a while back by the same author, jumped at the chance to try this one out.

Power Games is all about power and just who has power over whom. The way Victoria Fox writes is a modern take on Jackie Collins and just so readable.

I liken it a little to a Jackie Collins read, power, adventure, sex and lots of powerful people. Yet so modern and up to date.

One book that could be taken away and read by the pool, but be warned once one chapter has been read, just make sure you are under that sun umbrella as you will find it hard to leave.

2.0 out of 5 stars Even more implausible than you'd expect, utterly pointless side-plots, and unlikeable 'heroes', 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Power Games (Kindle Edition)

Too much of the storyline was of little to no relevance to the overarching plot. The entire story of Noah going to track down the celebrities was completely irrelevant, and I skipped every single chapter of it. You could cut it out entirely and the conclusion would still be the same. He literally doesn't make an impact on the 'main' storyline.

I also found the "heroes" sanctimonious and unlikeable. The story designates Angela and Eve as the sensible heroes who know what's best in every scenario. Anyone who disagrees is portrayed as an idiot and suffers consequences, even when there's no reason why Angela or Eve's ideas are any more valid than others, we're just meant to assume that they're right because...?

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable trashy fiction.....in a good way!, 28 April 2015
This review is from: Power Games (Kindle Edition)
I'm at a bit of a loss as to know where to start! When I first picked up this book I thought "this is eighties Jackie Collins brought up to date with a a touch of the Bagshawe sisters and a sprinkling of Rebecca Chance" and so for the first half of the book it was. Short chapters each devoted to a single character interspersed with chapters about "the baddie". The characters were fairly one dimensional but ok for what they were, purely fictional.
The first half of the novel sets the scene for the second half and I don't think I am giving the game away when I say that a plane carrying seven celebrities crashes on a remote jungle island. Once again I thought of Jackie Collins .......I think it was Lovers and Gamblers where the two leading characters crash in an Amazon jungle........ but from here on in the book plunged deeper into the realms of total fantasy. The second half of the book tells us how the celebrities survive on the island and you will have to read the book to find out if they indeed do survive or if all or some of them perish. The island story is peppered with how the people at home deal with their disappearance and of course keeps harping back to "the baddie".
Had I been looking for a gripping novel with a complicated plot line and multi layered characters that were totally believable I would have given this one star but as I was looking for an easy poolside read that required little or no concentration but entertained me enough to keep me reading it deserves more.
This novel is trashy fiction, totally unbelievable with characters who would only be at home in a novel of this genre, having said that, if you are in the mood for this kind of easy read it is strangely readable!

Power Games
Power Games by Victoria Fox (Paperback - 4 July 2014)