Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 October 2013
Review of a Netgalley review copy.

I felt a bit cheated, when, a few chapters in, I read somewhere that this book is a novelisation of a film screenplay. Usually I avoid books OF films. Who wants to read a pumped up film script, after all (though this is novel format)? It's an adaptation of a simplified story already, though in this case I believe an original screenplay (by the author of this adaptation).

All through, even before knowing its origin, I felt something was strange about the writing, some jumping around of action, some character decisions that didn't make sense. It clicked when I discovered the film source.

This will make a great film, all the elements are there. Aspiring writer (of dark and sad first novel) is taken on by a maverick (and handsome) publisher. Both have feelings for the other. Book becomes a success. Their relationship does not. There's a best friend there as comic relief and advisor. Author finds happiness but gets blocked on next novel. Publisher decides to help his estranged author become 'unblocked'...

Very romcom, will-they-won't-they, with lots of likeable side characters (Roddy the best friend, Jane's own formerly-deadbeat dad).

As a novel, I don't think it stands up exceptionally well though it's an easy and light read, very glossed-over in parts though. As a film, I will probably end up watching this.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you’re looking for something with all the charm and ease of chick-lit but with a sharper, smarter edge that isn’t an insult to a reader’s intelligence, this is perfect. Solomons delivers something with British quirkiness which is also dry and personable and which doesn’t descend into sentimentality or romance cliché.

I loved the characters, and enjoyed the sly swipes at the modern publishing industry: ‘So many modern editors... would prefer a mediocre novel they can compare to a hundred others than a great one that fits no easy category’.

I especially adored the irascible-but-sexy French indie publisher hero who prefers Glasgow to St.Tropez and never lets his devotion to correct punctuation drop: ‘If he was honest his foul mood was largely down to the parlous state of the company’s finances rather than Nicola’s inappropriate colon on page eight.’

This is bright and sassy easy reading which is also delightfully witty and romantic: the best kind of switch-off reading.
on 2 June 2014
This was not at all the book I was expecting to read from the cover and the blurb, which is actually quite ironic considering the subject matter. I was expecting something a little less substantial and definitely less bleak to start out. Knowing Glasgow, however, the rain was definitely a given. Once I had started to read, I very quickly became utterly engrossed and the book came everywhere with me; reading it walking to work, in my break, etc. We were inseparable, which was a little unfortunate for Not Another Happy Ending as I was so involved in the wee Highland cottage whilst walking home from work – I didn’t notice how dark it had become until I was unceremoniously pelted with rain from behind and we were both drenched through. My copy is now rather the worse for the experience!

The writing style is extremely gripping and although there may or may not be a happy ending, the journey to the last page is somewhat gothic in its style and this is in part what made it a completely gripping read, with a lot of entertaining subtext and flashes of comedic brilliance, as well as gritty Glaswegian darkness. Each person in the story was depicted true to character from beginning to end and they almost all worked their way into your heart even if they appeared grim or downright angry initially, and you just can’t help rooting for them all.

Mr Solomons also kept true to Scottish roots without being too over the top, whilst including a little international flavour. It is a well-rounded and down to earth novel that entertains whilst also stretching the mind of the reader just a little. If I were you I wouldn’t be hanging around reading this, I would be buying the real deal!

reviewed by Noemie T Verlan on behalf of BestChapLit.com
on 23 October 2013
I received a copy of this book from the publishers via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit that before I received this book I was not aware of the film on which it is based so came to read it without any preconceptions.

Jane is a struggling writer, receiving rejection letter after rejection letter in response to her first manuscript entitled 'The Endless Anguish of My Father'. Tom is the publisher who is looking for the book that will establish his company amongst the big publishing greats. Initially rejecting Jane's novel he agrees to publish it, so long as she agrees to extensive re-writes. Working together on the re-writes brings the two closer together until Tom changes the title of novel and the two no longer speak.

The book is launched and becomes a best seller, throwing Jane into the limelight, and leaving her with the pressure of writing an equally amazing second novel. However the angst and sadness that drive Jane to write her first novel have apparently disappeared, she has a new boyfriend, Willie, who is adapting her first novel as a screen play and has reconciled with her father who had walked out on her in her 7th birthday. With the new found contentment in her life she suddenly finds she has writer's block and is unable to finish the second novel.

Meanwhile Tom needs Jane's next book. His company Tristesse is nearly broke and he'll have to sell if the book isn't finished and released soon. He finds out Jane is blocked and realises that the only way to get her writing again is to make her miserable. So he starts out on his quest to restore writing order with his flatmate Roddy in a madcap plan that includes kidnapping her umbrella plant and starting a fight on a bus.

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. There were places where I laughed out loud, Roddy in particular had some of the funniest lines and he and Tom made a good comedy duo.

There were some parts where I could guess what was going to happen but this didn't detract from the book, in fact I think I would have been disappointed if my surmises had been wrong!

This book was adapted from the screenplay of the same name. Whilst I can imagine this book as a film it wasn't at the forefront of mind whilst I read it. Having read books that weren't based on screenplays but obviously written in the hope that they would be one day and been distracted by it. Thankfully that wasn't the case here.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable, light-hearted, romantic and funny read.
on 2 October 2013
Jane is a writer, trying (and failing) to get her book, The Endless Anguish of My Father, published, as her "Board of Pain" will attest to. Dubbed "The Hannibal Lecter of publishing" and "Attila the Hun with a red Biro", Jane is convinced Tom isn't actually like that when he gives her a two book deal, and they fall into bed together. But that all changes when he changes the title of her debut book. She owes him a press tour and one more book and then she's done with him and his publishing company.....but then she gets writers block on the final chapter.

Tom has his own struggling publishing business. He's looking for The One. The One being the book that's going to be a critically acclaimed bestseller and take his publishing company to the next level. Tom can't wait for Jane to write her second book for him and then leave, but with his entire business resting on the book, and with a final chapter stuck in writers block he needs a plan. The plan being to make her life utterly miserable until she completes it, because everyone knows that to be creative you have to be miserable....right?

"It had to be bad news. Nothing good ever happened on a Monday morning"

The character of Jane is easy to relate to as alot of her internal monologue is made up of things like the line above, that we all think, all the time. She's a fresh and realistic character. Both characters are well written and believable, from their language, and their actions.

The book is well written, with plenty of funny moments, from the subtle, to the lines that make you laugh out loud. The descriptions of Glasgow made it easy to imagine the scene for those who've never been there before, and there was enough in depth detail of a book tour and how the publishing industry works to show there was research.

I did find the whole "my main character in my book is talking to me because I have writers block, oh wait no it's talking to me because of Tom" part of the story a bit bizarre and detracted from the realness and believablity of the book.

The book is a funny, well written Rom Com of sorts, with the main characters finally getting there in the end, although there isn't the sweeping Hollywood movie happy ending, there is a happy ending to be had!
on 2 March 2014
*Out now on DVD* is `not another happy ending' as a movie with Karen gillan {Doctor Who star}, which I am now excited to see having read David Soloman's book. This Harlequin romance is sassy, sophisticated and full of heartfelt sincerity that will entertain for many hours and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy inside. If you enjoy classic chick-lit and humorous stories, such as Amanda Foreman or Trisha Ashley etc. then you will simply love this! Hugely funny and packed full of melting moments, I was swept away by a dreamy tale that highlights how happiness can be found very unexpectedly.

Short Synopsis ~

Jane is a bestselling author who encounters `writers block' after huge success. Her ex and editor Tom is determined to see her write another novel, in the hopes that his publishing house will stay afloat. Ironically Jane's blissful happiness is the key to unlocking her writing...and so Tom sets about making her life a misery if only for his own personal agenda.

This light read can be read in a single sitting, as the characters and storyline are so convincing and likeable that its easy to plunge into the book. I would recommend this to fans of the genre who seek a new story to add to their bookshelf that definitely doesn't disappoint! I would like to thank the author and publishers for providing copies on Goodreads, for first-read giveaways.

3.5 Stars
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wouldn't have chosen to read this book if I had known it is a novelisation of a Romcom film. It is a story of a novelist and her publisher, the book becomes a film and this book is written by man who wrote a film and this is the book. hhmmmm!
I found it read like a screenplay more than a novel.
The story is lightweight, and to me rather confusing, which is one reason I am sure it works better as a film where you can see what is going on.
Jane a would be novelist, not yet successful, has a "Board of Pain" where she pins all her rejection letters.
Her luck changes after sending her manuscript for her novel titled "The Endless Anguish of my Father" to Tristesse Publishing also situated in Glasgow where she lives.
The publisher is owned by Thomas Duvall, a Frenchman that strangely prefers living in Glasgow to the South of France where he grew up. He explains later in the book that constant sunshine and beautiful women stop him thinking, hence his preference for Glasgow. (surely that's sarcasm?).
The novel is funny in a smile not laughing kind of way. I think it is ok but not really my kind of book. I read this book because it was compared to Davis Nicholls "One Day ," which I did enjoy. but I don't think this novel has any of the substance or depth that book has.
on 4 November 2013
Jane Lockhart is the type of character that you just can't help but love; she's hardworking, endearing and Scottish. She takes a family heartache and somehow turns it into a positive, which obviously makes you love her even more. I've never suffered from writers block, well, not often so I can only imagine it being quite a difficult problem to overcome.

I don't know why but in my head Tom was an incredibly sexy Frenchman and when Jane started to dislike him my mind was screaming 'Noooo'. Tom was a devious man and he did conjure up plans to make Jane miserable, but even so I still held a place for him in my heart. He did always have a heart of gold it just took a while for it to come through and I think Jane knew this all along.

One thing I did really like about Not Another Happy ending was the other characters that made an appearance. There was Nicola, another client of Tom's, Roddy, Tom's friend and Benny, Jane's Dad. They padded the main character's dialogue and complimented the story perfectly. I always think it's nice to have other characters that make an impact and make you feel warmth towards them.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the novelization of a film. These usually turn out dreadfully as the two forms are not that alike. This one, however, works well. The story is superficially light and frothy, but has a bit more bite to it than most light romances.

Jane has written a novel that has been a critical success, but it is part of a two book deal. The success of the second book is of vital importance to Tom, her publisher and former lover, because his publishing firm is on the rocks. Unfortunately, Jane has writer’s block and cannot finish her book. Tom believes that writers, and especially Jane, work best when they are miserable, so he sets out to make her life a misery.

One of the things I especially liked about this book is that it is set in Glasgow and the Highlands and that the publishing world it depicts is not the fast, brash London scene that usually features in novels. The fact that Tom is French adds another interesting flavour to the book.

I really enjoyed this book. It was funny and romantic and yet had enough meat to it to make it a very satisfying read. I look forward to seeing the film.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2016
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as the first few chapters are light verging on dull. It's a predictable story of a Glaswegian author who falls in love with the handsome French,with a Glasgow edge, publisher of her first book.He ekes a living from his publishing business but it turns out that he is in fact from a wealthy wine- making family. She falls out of love with him when he changes the title of her book even though it turns out to be a massive hit with film rights sold etc etc. (some people are never happy).

She starts living with the screenwriter of the film of her book but develops writer's block when she is trying to finish her second novel, the income from which will save the publisher's failing business. He,for some reason,feels she needs to be unhappy in order to complete the book and makes some far-fetched attempts to make this happen. When she finds out what has been going on,she,strangely,falls back in love with him and dumps the screenwriter. They live happily ever after!

I told you it was predictable!!