5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!
This book is superb and heralds a great series to come. This is the first book in a new series by Maria, it does have links to the another series written by Maria (Poison study, Magic study, Fire study), however you don't have to have read them as everything is explained.The blurb reads:

As a glassmaker and a magician-in-training, Opal Cowen understands trial...
Published on 2 Jun 2009 by Ms. C. Walsh

3.0 out of 5 stars Just something about it ...
I read the Study Series a while ago and I was utterly gripped and compelled - especially with Poison Study - so when I got wind of the fact that another series was going to come out, I couldn't wait - I've never felt so excited about book releases since Harry Potter ... but I wasn't as fascinated with Storm Glass when it came to reading it.

Firstly, I find the...
Published on 20 July 2010 by Keelz

3.0 out of 5 stars Just something about it ..., 20 July 2010
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)

Firstly, I find the main character Opal rather self-pittying and irritating. I just want to shake her or tell her to get over herself. I know she's lost her (younger???) sister, I know she's been through a lot already, she's going to find it hard to trust people, blah-blah-blah. She just doesn't seem to appreciate anyone and she makes judgements without even making an effort herself. She's sulky and, I think, if I was at the Keep with her, I'd just ignore her aswell and get uppety with her - I don't think I'd go as far as treating her like Pazia does, but I wouldn't have much time for her.

I wasn't interested in the story. I actually struggled to find a story - it was just like a load of scenes thrown together - which is fine in its way - but I think there is a story in there somewhere and it would be nice to see it properly. Also, I don't really approve of the idea of 'sleep with the guy now or you'll regret it' - which is basically one of the issues and ideas portrayed throughout the book. But then I'm not a big lover of romance at the best of times so that might be just a personal thing. Also, I think we were all spoilt with Valek, so the love-interests in this series have a lot to live up to and, in my opinion, they all fail.

The action was plentiful and I was intrigued with each and every action scene - Snyder seems to have this knack of pulling you straight into the centre of the action - but ... I began to get a bit bored and now, in reading Sea Glass, I find it funny, with everyone either jabbing or getting jabbed in the 'Solar Plexis' - it was like Snyder had just discovered that this body-part existed and decided to make good use of it in every fight Opal encounters.

The other characters - like I said - big sisterly advice 'sleep with the man or you'll regret it' seemed a bit out of order to me. Opal should have felt able to make that decision herself and should have only made any advance when she was ready - make her own choices, show some strength of character etc. I found Opal's sister a bit thin on characterisation at the best of times and just found no interest in her at all and didn't care much for the opinions and attitudes she threw about. The male interests - one big, fit and brooding, the other dark, handsome stranger - a bit cliché in contrasts and I found Kade a bit too brooding - but I warmed to him. And I am secretly delighted that, so far, Opal has gone for him more - even though it might be because the other guy betrayed her. I was looking forward to seeing Yelena and Lief again - but I just cringed for some reason. Yelena's 'little friend' the bat and her constant banter with Lief - it just didn't do anything for me except to make me roll my eyes and think 'ohhh dear'.

Snyder still has the lovely smooth writing-style - it's not clumsy, it's not trying to be anything its not so it clearly brings everything to life and doesn't smother the events in the book - but in the Study series she can make you fret, she can make you laugh, bite your nails and the story flows wonderfully with it - but, although her style was still elegant in Storm Glass - it lacked the emotions and it was just as though I was reading a text-book - explaining the events rather than telling the story, which again, I just couldn't find.

HOWEVER ....

Something must have gone right. Despite my criticisms - I loved it. And I don't know why - I can't think of anything in the book that I found really compelling or that drew me closer to the characters or sparked any interest, and, as I've mentioned, I found plenty of flaws, but I couldn't stop reading and I'm currently reading Sea Glass - which is taking me a bit longer - It's presently on my table with a bookmark half-way through it, which is where it has been for maybe a couple of weeks - but, I think I'll be reading Spy Glass.

I've given it three stars because of the things I didn't particularly like, but something obviously worked for me and, I still stand by my original thoughts of SNyder as a writer - she has a rare gift and before I read Poison Study, I thought I'd lost my enthusiasm for reading altogether and Maria V. Snyder brought it all back - sometihng I'm grateful for. I would reccomend her to anyone and she is still one of my favourite authors. I just hope Spy Glass or her next series of books brings back her full potential as a writer because she deserves it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
I loved the Study Series, and bought this book on the back of that one, expecting it to be just as good. The Study Series swept me along with it's fast-paced plot and interesting heroine. This book, however, did not affect me the same way.

The story focuses on Opal Cowan, a minor character from the Study Series. Five years have passed since the end of Fire Study, and Opal is at the Keep, still learning about magic. She is frustrated that she has only "one trick", is bullied by the other students, and only finds joy when she's making her glass animals. This changes, however, when she is recruited on a mission to help the Stormdancers discover the fault with their glass orbs. Over the course of the book, another blood magician is discovered to have escaped Yelena's clutches after the events of Fire Study, and Opal also finds herself torn between two men (one a bad-tempered Stormdancer and the other a somewhat dull and untalented glassmaker).

I found the characters not even half as interesting as I hoped. Through Yelena's eyes even the minor characters had charm and a certain pull that kept me reading. Opal is a much more withdrawn, self-pitying and sometimes selfish character, and it seems like we only see the bad points about the others - in the end I wasn't quite sure why Opal liked either of the two men who were vying for her attentions (or indeed why they liked her). Not even the appearance of some old friends towards the end of the book could save the book for me. Another down point was the plot. It dragged along, only picking up in a couple of places.

I gave the book three stars because there were good points. The world is still interesting, and the characters we know from before still have that draw, that pull that makes you care about what happens. And I would still buy the others in the trilogy to find out what happens to everyone. But I don't think I'd recommend this to anyone else. Overall, a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!!, 2 Jun 2009
Ms. C. Walsh - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Glass (Paperback)

As a glassmaker and a magician-in-training, Opal Cowen understands trial by fire. Now it's time to test her mettle. Someone has sabotaged the Stormdancer clan's glass orbs, killing their most powerful magicians. The Stromdancers- particularly the mysterious and mercurial Kade- require
Opal's unqiue talents to prevent it happening again.
But when the mission goes awry, Opal must tap into a new kind of magic as stunningly potent as it is frightening. And the further she delves into the intrigue behind the glass and magic, the more distorted things appear.
With lives hanging in the balance- including her own- Opal must control powers she hadn't known she possed... powers that might lead to disaster beyond anything she has ever known.

This is a wonderful book that I would re-read many times over.

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as expected, 12 Sep 2009
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
I have read the author's previous trilogy and loved poison study and magic study, I thought that the last one 'fire study' was the weakest book of the three. This new book is largely based on events from that book and therefore appeared to be a re-hash of that plot. The main character has no real appeal and her potential suitors are the same, quite dull. If you didn't enjoy 'Fire Study' you won't enjoy this book either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely riveting and fantastic!, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Having read Snyder's previous study series I was very excited for this trilogy and rightly so. I couldnt disagree more with the 3 star reviews below. If anything this story is non stop thrilling and enjoyable throughout. The author begins the story with action and develops the pace very well throughout the book. There is just the right amount of action, emotion and storyline. If anything I would say it generates alot more suspense than the previous trilogy.

The plot line is brilliant in this book. It is so much thicker than the previous trilogy and makes for a longer read (which I love). The story develops well and Snyder makes a very good attempt at introducing and describing all the key characters without leaving out detailed explanations of Sitia. There are also many ups and downs that you find yourself reading well past your bed time.

The main character, Opal, goes through many phases of change throughout the book and I thought it was fabulous to have this in a story. I don't think characters are ever perfect from beginning to end as people are in real life so this brings an essence of realisticness to the story. There are many points in this story and the rest of the trilogy where you do want to scream at Opal but I think it's all part of how her character grows. Being annoyed at the main characters actions is just another emotion your forced to feel while reading and reading is all about making you feel different emotions!

The thing I love about Snyder's books are her descriptions of magic. Many books (Harry Potter included) use magic as a main part of their story lines but actually fail to say where it comes from and what it feels like. Snyder however has gone into great detail about magic (as have many of my favourite sci-fi authors) and this just makes the experience of reading her books all the more worthwhile. My sister and I really wish there was such a thing as magic after reading this book!

All in all I devoured this book as soon as I got it and purchased the entire trilogy! Its up their with the Harry Potter series but at times I think I enjoy reading Snyder's books much much more! I would recommend this to everyone who loves sci-fi fantasy and in fact I have managed to get 5 other people into this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves you wanting more, 23 Jan 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Storm glass is a great story i just couldnt put it down, when i got the end i just wanted more. I kept reading it at every moment i had spare, lunch break ,on the bus to and from school ,when i got home from school,before i when to bed. when ever i could it just great!

1.0 out of 5 stars omg what happened?, 6 Sep 2010
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Boring, boring and boring - the first books were so interesting and full of character - this one is not worth reading really ... I've got half-way through it and given up. I was really looking forward to this book and now I feel deflated and disappointed. What went wrong - it doesn't even seem like the same author wrote them.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than expected!, 28 July 2009
B. Nobis (London & Graz) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Following on from Yelena's journy through the preceding trilogy, I didn't dare to expect much.
What a nice surprise Maria V.S. had in store with this great book.
Each new publication surpassing the last!
May we hope for this line of success to continue?

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings..., 9 Oct 2009
Paul Lynch (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
I greatly enjoyed Maria Snyder's Poison Study trilogy; it had it's weaknesses but had an enthusiasm that swept you along in its wake.

Storm Glass is based around the kidnapping and torture victim from the last of that trilogy. She has recovered remarkably well from her ordeal (most real life victims are changed by their experiences). However, she is now studying magic, and showing little sign of any abilities apart from those associated with her glass blowing. On the one hand she is making her glass communication devices for the Master Magicians, and on the other she is being bullied at the academy.

Opal is sent on a mission to the Stormdancers, to discover why their glass orbs are failing and killing Stormdancers, and threatening that the storms of the area will break free. She succeeds, but along the way picks up yet another blood magician, escaped from the wrapping up of Fire Study. Once again she is captive and tortured. Throw in a jealous bully from the academy, a petulant storm dancer, new magic glass abilities, and a stolid suitor, and stir the mix.

I didn't find this anywhere near as compelling as the first trilogy; the main character is uninteresting and unconvincing, and her suitors shallow. I'm not sure that I'll read the rest when they come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars a difficult read, 23 July 2009
J. D'netto "Jez" (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Glass (Glass 1) (Paperback)
Despite loving the poison study trilogy, i find the prose in this book and the constant references to the previous books very dull, the story is about Opal, a glassblower who literally tries to save the world whilst falling in love with the stormdancers who trap the energy from storms in glass orbs. Maybe i need to read this again, maybe the trilogy will improve, who knows but for now i can only express my concern that this great writer is peddling out run of the mill fantasy stories on the back of the highly (and justly) acclaimed study series.

Storm Glass (The Chronicles of Ixia)
Storm Glass (The Chronicles of Ixia) by Maria V. Snyder (Paperback - 6 Sep 2013)
7.99