on 5 August 2013
Having loved all the Lords that came before I was really looking forward to this, but it didn't live up to my expectations. It felt almost as if the author herself was bored but needed to tie up the last of the Lords in order to move onto something else. In this book we see Kane keeper of Disaster paired off with Josephina (Tink), a half human/half Fae, and the seeds of future romance for Cameo and Torin are sown with the introduction of their partners, one can only assume there will be two more books before the end and everyone lives happily ever after.
Whilst I understand not every book written by an author can be gold it's such a shame. This felt too rushed, too many things were glossed over and left me feeling unsatisfied. Sorry! die hard fans will buy it but please, please if this is your first introduction to Ms Showalter or her Lords of the Underworld don't judge the rest of them by this one below par offering. Give the others a try first.
on 19 August 2013
OK firstly I have followed this series since the beginning, bought every book and liked every book. Kane was one of the Lords I was most looking forward to reading about because he was a bit of a mystery, she didn't do him justice at all. The book felt like it was written by an amateur and at times it was very frustrating.

The heroine was likable and could have been much better than Showalter wrote her, as for Kane she didn't expand much on his past or on his demon other than to keep saying 'I hate you, I hate you more' silly at times and immature. Also very little of the other Lords was focused on which again is rubbish, too much of William trying to get laid by every female around him, again just annoying and kind of ruining his funny character.

Paris was always my least favourite Lord yet his book even for me was one of, if not the strongest book of all of the series, I feel I should have loved this book because I liked Kane so much but it just fell totally flat.

In general I feel Showalter is either losing her touch or running out of ideas, in my opinion the worst mistake she made was introducing the world of the Fae, it felt too much like a Cinderella story, if I wanted that I would watch Disney! Disappointing for a dedicated fan like me but it won't stop me reading the remainder of the series.
One redeeming factor is she gave a little insight into Torin and Cameo's books, both of which should be great, let's hope she does them justice.
on 27 August 2013
I have this whole series and I love the Lords of the Underworld. I've always felt sorry for Kane with the demon he has and how it puts him apart from the others and I was hoping in this book he would find his way and come into his own.

Unfortunately I don't think this was achieved. There was a scene at a nightclub which I really didn't like at all and I felt was unecessary as the emotions etc could have come out in a different situation/manner. It was pretty much the main reason for me not liking this book. Kane's emotions for Josephina were yo-yoing all over the place that it was hard to keep track of what mood he was in at the time.
Josephina was a great character that dealt with a poor past brilliantly and has some of the funniest one liners I've ever read. I did think her strength could be made more apparent, it wasn't really commented on but implied.

I want to point out that I do love Gena Showalter books so I'm quite sad I've felt the need to write this review.
I actually really enjoyed this book, however I do think that the ending felt very rushed and didn't quite explain or tie everything in as Gena normally does. I must admit that Kane's story wasn't on my 'top of stories I want to read' list and maybe this was down to the fact that he has never really had a big side storyline in any of the series so far except for the last book Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld), but he has now become a firm favourite of mine out of the Lords.

For anyone who hasn't read any of the books in the series I would strongly urge you to start at the beginning with The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld: Book 1) as although the books could be read individually there is a lot of back story that does only make sense when read in order.

The series is set around a group of twelve immortal warriors (and absolutely hunky ones at that!) who once served the Greek Gods. Zeus decided to give possession and protection of the dimOuniak to the immortal warrior Pandora (which is why the alternate name for it is Pandora's Box). The dimOuniak/Pandora's Box held all the evil of the world such as Violence, Death, Pain, Doubt, Wrath, Lies, Secrets, Defeat, Promiscuity, Disease, Misery and Disaster and all of their Demons were kept safely locked in the Box. Twelve of the other immortal warriors (Lords of the Underworld) were upset that Zeus had entrusted the box to Pandora and not to them and therefore stole the box from her and subsequently released the demons into the world. Zeus was extremely angry over this betrayal and therefore cursed each of the warriors to hold one of the demons within each of them for all time. It has also transpired since the first few books in the series that there were more demons than Lords and therefore some of the prisoners of Tartarus also had demons allocated to them.

This is the tenth book in the series and tells the story of Kane who is the keeper of Disaster. Kane has just recently been rescued from hell where he has had unspeakable things and torture done to him and is very obviously suffering mentally after these events. His rescuer is a half human and half fae woman called Josephina Aisling who through terrible circumstances of her own, also lives an awful life where she is made to endure punishments on her half sister's behalf for the crimes that her half sister commits, as her own father has made her a blood slave. Kane is drawn to her for some reason that he can't explain however his demon disaster is determined that he will not be with Josephina aka Tink as he calls her (a shortened Tinkerbell with her being Fae) and this must therefore mean that she is his destined one. There are many many hurdles that the couple need to overcome however as along with Tink being a slave to her father and his family, Kane then also goes and manages to get engaged to her half sister. Can they find a way to be together or must they live apart in order to save each other?.......

As I have said above I did really enjoy this book apart from the ending feeling incomplete and a bit rushed and I love that Gena is including the past characters a lot more in her newer stories so that you get to see how the rest are all faring. She hasn't advised as to whom the next story will be about but from the sub plots in this book featuring Torin and Cameo it could probably be either although I am still holding out and waiting with baited breath for William's story.

1. The Darkest Night
2. The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld - Book 2)
3. The Darkest Pleasure(Lords of the Underworld: Book 3) (MIRA)
4. The Darkest Whisper(Lords of the Underworld: Book 4) (MIRA)
5. The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld: Book 5)
6. The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld: Book 6)
7. The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld: Book 7)
8. The Darkest Surrender (Lords of the Underworld: Book 8)
9. The Darkest Seduction
10. The Darkest Craving
on 29 April 2014
This book was enjoyable but it isnt the best LOD novel ive read but it could have been better, Josephina had a funny sense of humour at the start of the book but she lost it the rest of the way through and became a bit boring, kane was a strong male character and very likeable.

It was nice to hear from william and his kids white, red black and green and hope to hear more from them in the future and hope the next LOD novel will be cameos, it was nice to hear about torin aswell and reading about them gives you an idea how the series is going to go on.

the story was good and kept you entertained most of the way through, the love scenes were boring and the book would have been better without them and the story didnt really follow a the usual theme of searching for an artifact, the whole story mainly took place in the fae world. Overall I give this a 3.5*
on 19 October 2013
I loved this series so much and will continue to read it. However I feel each book is getting more and more carried away. There is far too many characters going on and although I like paranormal and like the unbelievable this is getting too far fetched. I would recommend reading the series but I think its losing it
on 13 December 2013
this was the worst book in the series. I don't quite believe that Gena wrote this one. really struggled to read this one to the end but hoped it would get better, but it just got worse. really hope that this is just a one of as the rest of the books have been great fun to read.
on 26 January 2014
The story line wasn't great and the characters became annoying because of this. But if your reading the books for the overall story then power through as there are important tidbits for the next book.
on 20 August 2013
I have enjoyed all the books in the series and couldn't wait for this one. However this book is not in the same class. The heroine (if you can call her that) is extremely childish and the dialogue, to me, is ridiculous. I deleted the book when I was about two thirds through. A waste of my money.
on 20 August 2013
Loved it, I enjoyed the story line which takes us into the world of the Fae. Josephina being the daughter of the Fae King, and blood slave for her half sister. The injustice of been treat as a servant and punished for the crimes of her sister, and oh those crimes were many and often. It was during one such punishment when she comes across Kane and rescues him. Throughout all she had to endure I loved her strength and the very smart mouthy comments, she made me laugh and seemed perfect for Kane. My goodness he was spoilt for choice with his female being possibly one of three, and Disaster wanted anyone and everyone except Josephina. It was wonderful to see the rest of the Lords and we learnt a little more of William and his adult children.
Interesting what's happened to Viola, Cameo and Torin, can't wait for the next book.