4.0 out of 5 stars Double dare

Published 13 months ago by Laura Hartley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as Pushing the Limits, 3 Aug 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dare You To is the 'sequel' to the very successful Pushing the Limits. I say 'sequel' because this is actually a standalone novel as part of a series of books based on different couplings from the same group of friends. This book focuses on Beth, if you've read Pushing the Limits you'll remember her as the b**** who didn't like Echo, and Ryan, a high school jock set to be a baseball pro.

What's great about this novel is that it deals with several different themes, not just teenage romance as it would appear. Another major theme is dysfunctional families, of which there are many. Both Beth and Ryan have incredibly dysfunctional families: Beth is living with her uncle because her drunk mother can't look after her and Ryan's seemingly perfect family are hiding the fact that their eldest son, Ryan's brother, is gay. Beth and Ryan's family backgrounds are the complete opposite of each other and yet they are somehow similar. I would say that Beth's story takes precedence in this novel as it's more complex and most of the things that happen are somehow linked to her story. These themes give the novel that extra depth and makes the novel much more interesting to read than your average romance.

Katie McGarry's writing is just as good as it's always been and she has created another brilliant novel with Dare You To. Her writing is addictive and once you get started you just can't stop reading until you reach the conclusion. Her writing can make you swoon but it can also make you feel like your heart is breaking. Once this story gets going you start to feel connected to both the main characters, Beth and Ryan, and you can't help but root for them. This story is written using alternating perspectives and the switchover between the two is seamless and frequent keeping things fresh and giving you two perspectives on every situation.

Although this was a very good novel, I wouldn't say that it's particularly original as it uses the same basic framework that Pushing the Limits and many other new adult novels use. It's predictable as the characters' reveal their plans for the future right from the beginning and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going to happen. The novel is also rather slow to get started and the first 50% wasn't all that interesting but I kept reading because I still wanted to find out more. Perhaps the reason that Dare You To isn't as successful as Pushing the Limits is because the subject matter that it deals with is a lot less heavy than that in PtL, therefore the as a reader you feel slightly less emotionally involved. Sure, both characters have complicated pasts (and presents) but it is the age old story of one seemingly perfect person falling in love with an outcast.

All in all, Dare You To us fantastic novel, though not as good as Pushing the Limits. It could've done with a bit more originality but McGarry has created another fantastic novel that teens will lap up. I would highly recommend this to fans of Katie McGarry and contemporary romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant and interesting read, 12 Jun 2013
Pruedence for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

Dare You To is the very anticipated sequel to Katie McGarry's fantastic debut novel Pushing the Limits (read my review here). Before I start discussing Dare You To I should first explain the sheer impact it's prequel had on me. Pushing the Limits was unquestionably one of my favorite reads of 2012 and set a very high bar for Dare You To. The emotions and themes touched by Katie McGarry in this prequel were heart wrenching to the point that I will confess that by the end I had shed a tear or two.
Suffice to say that I had high expectations for Dare You To given what Pushing The Limits had previously delivered.

In all truthfulness although I did enjoy Dare You To it did not touch me the way Echo and Noah's story did.
Picking up with one of the trio of friends to whom we had previously been introduce to in Pushing The Limits, Dare You To is the story of Elisabeth, who prefers to be called Beth (and she is quite vocal about this preference), and Ryan. Like in Pushing The Limits alternate chapters are written from either Beth's or Ryan's point of view, a style of narration that I always very much enjoy as it allows an increased insight into each character's mind, personality and into the different relationships they have.

Similarly to Echo and Noah, Beth and Ryan each have a complicated history. One wears it like shield along side the f*** off sign stamped on her forehead, whilst the other hides it behind a façade of perfection in the hope that if it remains hidden long enough it just might go away. Neither method is healthy and nobody would have thought that two people with such different backgrounds and ways of dealing with it could be each other's cure.

Dare You To had a slow start which I initially struggled a little bit with, but after I got past the first few chapters and once the characters took on a more steady shape, Ryan and Beth's story picked up the pace and from then onward I struggled to put the book down.
As in Pushing The Limits, Katie McGarry strived to tackle important social themes that more often than not interfere with our opinions, choices in life and life itself. Through Ryan and Beth Katie dealt with trust, acceptance and the forever complicated relationships between family, friends and more.

Despite liking Beth and Ryan I cannot say that I grew to love them and their story as I did Echo and Noah. I also found Katie McGarry's writing style initially somewhat different from her previous book.
I will admit though that I was so blown away by the prequel that I do not doubt that, despite my best efforts to not let it affect my judgment of Dare You To, Pushing The Limits has in fact compromised my thoughts. It is also debatable that because the overall genre of the story and that some of the afore mentioned themes overlap with those in Pushing The Limits, that this also makes it more difficult to not compare the two.

Verdict:This said Dare You To was still a very pleasant and interesting read, and I will be looking forward to reading the final book in this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Double dare, 9 Jun 2013
This follows on from McGarry's 'Pushing the Limits' which I thoroughly enjoyed. The dual narrative was original, and this is carried through into this novel. You don't have to have read the first book, but there are some cross-references which would make more sense if you had. Beth moves from being a side character in 'Pushing the Limits' to one of the main narrators here. She is the more damaged of the two characters, and this really is a story of a broken teenager learning to trust again. McGarry has a good ear for dialogue, and does explore what lies beneath the facade of perfect family fronts. I didn't enjoy this quite as much as her first novel, perhaps because this goes over similar ground and therefore doesn't feel quite as fresh and original. None-the-less, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful & Fantastic Read, 8 Jun 2013
Miss T. R. Snook "Tiffa (:" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dare You To (A Pushing the Limits Novel) (Paperback)
"That must be love: when everything else in the world could implode and you wouldn't care as long as you had that one person standing beside you."

When I first started reading Dare You To, I was a little apprehensive about it. Mainly because, like a lot of other readers, I wasn't sure whether Beth and Ryan's story would live up to the fantastic story told in Pushing The Limits. I'm so glad to say that I was completely wrong! After getting over the initial disappointment of Beth and Isaiah not being together, I allowed myself to get sucked into Beth and Ryan's stories and become as one with their pain and issues.

When we first met Beth in Pushing The Limits, I have to say - I wasn't a big fan of her character at all. She seemed a little selfish and to up on her high horse for no good reason what so ever. However, in Dare You To, we learn more and more about Beth's character and her extremely trouble home life. As the novel progressed, and I learnt more about Beth and her troubles - I became to love her character. Despite everything that she's been through, she's kept strong and hasn't allowed herself to crash and fall due to any of it. Beth refuses to let anyone get close to her; she has her walls built up so high she doesn't even know how to break them down anymore. Whilst reading about Beth, I felt I could almost feel her pain and sadness - she's such a raw and intense character that it's pretty much indescribable to talk about.

Ryan is one of the most popular guys at school; he's a jock and an elite baseball player - quite the opposite of Beth. He loves playing dares and he hates to lose. Things change when he gets to know Beth, but only slightly - she's no longer a dare, but someone he cares for deeply - yet he's still determined not to lose anything, especially her. The thing I loved most about Ryan was how he wouldn't let Beth leave; he constantly called her out on it - but in a good way. He refused to let her go and couldn't get enough of saying how much he cared for and need her. Ryan was also a really sweet, kind and funny guy - why can't I seem to find myself a Ryan?!

I loved watching Beth and Ryan's relationship grow and develop. The couple are so uneasy around each other at first, but as they allow their walls to fall, their relationship blossoms into something so beautiful and wonderful that it makes me tear up just thinking about it. Their need for each other was so intense that you could nearly see it pouring off the pages. It wasn't just their psychical need for each other that was incredible, but also their emotional bond and the friendship they formed. Something else I loved about their relationship was how they were constantly testing and pushing each other and their boundaries. All of these things just knit together and I believe they make them the perfect couple - because despite their flaws and issues - they still had each other.

I have to say, even though I've never been in a situation like Beth's - I believe pretty much everyone can relate to her. We're all filled with doubts and insecurities; I know, for me especially, I find it hard to determine whether people actually want to be around me, or if they're just using me or feeling sorry for me. The same goes for Ryan's character, he's a very relatable person - even though I've not been in his situation - I know countless people have. Parental pressure is a very common thing these days, with people's parents deciding what you're going to do with your life and how you should do it. I believe Katie McGarry handled all the difficult issues in this book perfectly and in a very sensitive way.

Katie McGarry's writing is pretty much flawless and I have yet to find any fault or something that I didn't like in her novels so far. Katie is very versatile, and is not only able to create and work with so many different types of characters, but also is able to get into their minds and express what the characters are going through perfectly. I'm full of nothing but praise for Katie McGarry and her perfect writing, storylines and characters. I believe the 5/5 star rating was well and truly deserved and I wouldn't even consider giving it any less! I can't wait to read even more from Katie in the future and I'm on edge and jumping in joy for the release of Crash Into You, which will be Isaiah's story.

Side note: Something I'd love to see written about is the story of Chris and Lacy. (Two of Ryan's Best Friends) I think it would be amazing to see their point of view and how their relationship developed and the troubles they both have faced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, had me laughing and crying., 7 Jun 2013
I received this book free from the publisher on the condition that I give an honest review.

First of all I think I should make it clear that I haven't read the first book in this series, in fact I was unaware that this was the second in the set. I have to say that, having not read the first book in no way detracts or undermines this story. I wasn't already familiar with the characters in the book so I didn't have any preconceived ideas about who should be with who.

I will state now that this book caused me many sleepless nights, as I had to know what was going to happen next. I had the worst case of O.M.C, ( one more chapter ). I had to have the kindle taken out of my hands as I fell asleep reading on more than one occasion.

I loved the fact that its written from both Beth and Ryan's prospective. I instantly fell in love with both of them. Beth is one tough cookie or so she would have you believe and the longer she stays with her uncle and dates Ryan the softer she seems, to Ryan anyway.

Ryan is the quintessential good guy, he's practically perfect, he's captain of the school baseball team, a good student and loyal to his friends. That's just on the surface though, he is a good guy but his life isn't perfect, his parents have kicked his older brother out after he announced that he was gay but no-one can know, they'll go to great lengths to hide that fact and they expect Ryan to do the same. They insist that he's got to go pro when he finishes school, they refuse to entertain the idea of him going to college and furthering his education and they insist that he doesn't date Beth.

When Ryan accepts a dare to ask Beth out he doesn't think he's going to fall for her but he does...hard! There's nothing he cares more for, he even forfeits the dare. He's such a good guy he tells her about the dare and that he forfeited it because he likes her. After she gets done yelling at him, she admits that she likes him too. As they iron out the kinks, she gradually tells him about her life before moving to her uncles but not why and not what she's planning to do.

To be fair, she does put herself through an emotional wringer, as well as her uncle, Ryan and her best friend, Isaiah. Especially when Ryan's ex-girlfriend spreads rumours about her, which triggers her into running away but first trying to rescue her alcoholic, drug-addicted mother from her abusive boyfriend. Ryan turns up and saves her from being beaten up by her mothers boyfriend but they both end up in hospital though.

When Ryan's parents find out that he's seeing her and try to forbid him from dating her he ignores them. He finally stands up for himself and for his choices in life which include Beth.

I cried on more than one occasion and laughed as well and just basically went on an emotional roller coaster with them.

I would recommend this book to anyone, no matter what their favourite genre maybe. And I'm going to be buying the first book and the next book too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dare to You, 6 Jun 2013
ARC received for an honest review

I had mixed feelings about reading Dare to You as Beth was one of my least favourite in Pushing the Limits. As I loved Pushing the Limits so much I decided to take a look.

I had a preconception that this would be Beth and Isiah's story following on from the last book but this wasn't the case at all and I think this made the book stronger.

Beth has put up all these walls due to a difficult upbringing and wants nothing more than to protect her drug addict mother. Due to an incident she is forced to move to the country with her Uncle Scott and leave everything she knows behind, including Isiah and Noah, the only real family she's ever had. To say she's miffed is an understatement!

Ryan is the all American jock with the seemingly perfect life and lives in the small town where Beth's just moved to. He's been given a dare by his best friends to take Beth on a date as she's the least likely person to say yes. As he persists with his dare he gets to know the real Beth and in turn she gets to know the real Ryan.

At times you feel Beth is so annoying and you just want to shake her and make her realise but as the book progresses and you find out more you start to sympathise with her situation.

Ryan, what can I say! I loved how he made Beth for him, the real him. I don't want to give spoilers but I had a tear in my eye when he gave Beth her ''wow'' moment.

This is definitely worth a read if like me you loved Pushing the Limits.

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 30 May 2013
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Beth Risk's life is crap, her mother is a drunk, drug addict, and with a big time loser boyfriend who is not averse to using his fists. Beth's loyalty to her mother is deep rooted, nothing can sway her opinion. Her friends Isaiah and Noah have tried repeatedly to keep Beth at a distance from her mother Sky. Then one evening everything changes, and Beth's life will never be the same. It begins with a cocksure jock asking for her phone number on a dare he and his friends were playing to see who could collect the most. Next Beth extricates her mother from the bar, but once outside Trent appears. Sky smashes all the windows in Trent's car, when the police arrive Beth takes the blame rather than see her mother arrested. Beth's uncle Scott arrives at the police station and has made an agreement with Sky that Beth will come to live with him, and Beth will not be allowed to see her mother.

Beth is furious at this turn of events, but is threatened with her mother crimes being reported unless she does as she's told. Enrolled in the local high school, she's confronted with the same jock who asked for her phone number, his name is Ryan Stone, the star pitcher on the baseball team.

First read for me by this author. I was very impressed with this story. The characters are believable and multifaceted. Beth is a product of her upbringing, she's loud, aggressive and her language is filled with profanities, but underneath, this girl is very vulnerable. Ryan comes from a well respected family in town, and at first look he and Beth seem poles apart, but though their connection is tentative at first, it builds as the story moves forward. I loved the two of them together. Ryan is not without his own family problems either.
There are an excellent cast of side characters as well.
This is a very well written story edgy, realistic and at times hard hitting. But most of all this has real heart. I loved it.
ARC courtesy of Harlequin and NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dare you to read this book., 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dare You To (A Pushing the Limits Novel) (Paperback)
What begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all

Not being an avid fan of romance type books, when I was first introduced to Katie McGarry at the beginning of the year with her debut novel Pushing The Limits, I was skeptical but was easily hooked on this amazing book. Upon finding out that there was to be a companion novel in Dare You To, the skepticism once again began, as I was expecting it to be pretty much exactly the same as its predecessor.

The beginning of the book draws you into a lull; it shows the same format of the previous books, but with different characters and situations. I thought it was going to be quite predictable, and as I was reading I found myself thinking about how the story was going to progress - I sure was shocked when the story made a complete u-turn and denied me the honour of being right in my predictions.

The story is fast paced, and I found myself flying through this book with ease as it's very readable on top of that - the words just flow together nicely, and at times I felt as though I was watching a movie and completely forgot where I was. The inner dialogue teamed with the outer dialogue is what makes McGarry's work so special; you feel as though you know and feel emotionally attached to these characters with these personal snippets that allow you into a world which nobody can or is allowed to see.

Although at first I found it to be very similar to Pushing The Limits with regards to characters and format, I soon began to realise that McGarry is in fact showing her readers that love isn't something you can just walk into. Love isn't spending a couple of days with someone, love is something that needs to be worked at, developed, and nurtured. The fact that both books highlight different characters with different personal situations just shows the reality of it and the reality of love as a whole - nothing's perfect, nobody's perfect and we need to learn to accept people for the way they are, not the way that they look, act or feel.

As aforementioned, the idea of love at first sight in books just makes my skin crawl, and the development of the relationship between Beth and Ryan is the best thing about this book. Their love is a gradual thing, and although it's obvious from the start that they will fall in love, the way they fall in love isn't. Neither of the characters lose who they are in the process, in fact, they find who they truly are and this shows that love can bring out the best and the worst in you.

If anyone thinks that Dare You To will not live up to the first book, then I dare you to read it. You will be thoroughly surprised and definitely not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one! Loved it!, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Dare You To (A Pushing the Limits Novel) (Paperback)
McGarry has done it again. And this time she has come back better than ever. Dare You To was so much better than Pushing the Limits. Absolutely loved it!

In this book we get Beth's story, who we met in PtL. Beth's home life is one of drugs, abuse, with a mother who never thinks about Beth in the decisions she makes. Even though Beth is constantly put in danger by her mothers abusive boyfriends, she still takes care of her mother because if she doesn't no one else will. One night though after Beth takes the blame for something her mother did, her uncle steps in and takes Beth away from this life and away from her mother and her friends. Beth resents her uncle for this. She can't bare to be away from her best friend Isaiah and she constantly worries about her mother. Beth keeps everyone out and feels like she isn't lovable. She is used to people leaving her. She sacrifices her own happiness for her mother. But then she meets Ryan who is able to see the scared and vulnerable girl underneath and who pushes Beth to fight for what she really wants.

Beth I loved. Her wit and snarky comments were really entertaining to read but it is all just a front to keep people from seeing the real her. I felt so bad for her. She has gone through so much in her life. Her stubbornness and constant running away from her feelings did get a bit annoying but I understood why she was doing it.
Ryan I adored! Not the typical jock that is portrayed in most books - he was sweet, caring and a real gentleman. He has his own family problems that he is trying to deal with. I hated that he didn't stand up to his parents more but that didn't make me love him any less. He is the complete opposite of Beth and I felt they complemented each other perfectly. Bad girl meets nice boy was a refreshing change form the usual bad boy/good girl scenarios in most books. I also really liked Ryan's friends. They weren't the stereotypical jocks either which I was really happy about. I'm glad that McGarry didn't go down that route.

The dares I thought were a really interesting part of the story. Some of them were hilarious. I only wish there was a bit more emphasis on them. I was really worried too that there was gonna be a love triangle in this book. I had read the synopsis of this before I actually read PtL so I was really surprised that it wasn't gonna be about Beth and Isaiah. I really liked Isaiah in PtL and so I was upset at first that this wasn't gonna be his story. But I actually think it worked out for the best in the end. Ryan was perfect for Beth and even though my heart broke for Isaiah I know his happily ever after is still to come. The next book is gonna be his story so I cannot wait to read it!

Packed full of love, loss, betrayal, and a romance that will melt your heart, this book will take you on one hell of an emotional roller-coaster. A must read!

Now patiently (but not that patiently) waiting for book #3, Crash Into You. Need me some more Isaiah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, 26 Jun 2014
This book is a real shocker - the twists are snappy, mind-churning and overall impressive! As I read this book, it just radiated with the sense of hope and trust, which made the whole storyline even more enjoyable.

I would definitely rate this book a 5/5 as it really shows the feelings of being in love and trusting someone! It was a real page-turner from beginning to end.

Personally, I would say that anyone who enjoys rollercoaster, romance, teen novels, then I would suggest you read this book! It's really worth it!

Dare You To (A Pushing the Limits Novel)
Dare You To (A Pushing the Limits Novel) by Katie McGarry (Paperback - 7 Jun 2013)