5.0 out of 5 stars Scent of Magic
Published 21 months ago by Amethyst Bookwyrm

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming formulaic
Published 17 months ago by Brunneria

3.0 out of 5 stars Becoming formulaic, 5 April 2013
If this is your first Snyder book or series then go for it. You will probably love it. She has a refreshingly unique take on the fantasy genre that I loved for the first 3 books. Hopefully you will too, because this author has a lot to offer, as shown by the predominantly high stars she gets the reviews. However, if this is your 2nd or 3rd Snyder series, then you, like me, may be getting a wee bit jaded with the sameness of it all.

I loved the 'poison' series, and I got on OK with the 'glass' series, but as time has gone on, this author's work is becoming incredibly formulaic.

Heroine has a special power. Most people distrust her and treat her with contempt/ dislike. There's a major problem in the realm. Heroine runs around, usually alone, trying to solve problem while slowly gathering up a small elite band of groupies. She is usually on the run or acting covertly. There is usually a child or young adult figure to pull the heart strings. The groupies banter and seem supportive, but are never around when needed. The heroine has blinding flashes of inspiration that she passes on to her groupies, who act on the ideas. Eventually, the situation is resolved due to these breakthroughs, the story ends on a cliffhanger. And on to the next book.

It's a good plot structure, so lots of people use it, but somehow Snyder is producing books that are carbon copies of each other; the heroines only differ in their magic skills, the love interests are identical, there is always a rigid military or social structure. There is always a lot of hard manual work (healing/working/running around the woods). The heroine is required to teach people something, adding innovative ideas that make vast improvements. Heck, they even all seem to wear coloured uniforms and divide territory into numbered sectors!

Even the writing style is formulaic. The paragraphs are consistently short, often 2 sentences (my English teacher used to say 'Never write a paragraph less than 3 sentences long - if it has enough subject matter to be a para, then it deserves 3 or more sentences'. It's a good rule of thumb. With Snyder, even when she writes a longer para, she will often change subject in the middle. Again, it is a simple rule - 1 subject per para. Otherwise you confuse the reader.

And then there are the people! This is the 2nd book in the series, so by this time our heroine has collected enough hangers on, supporters, cute child interest and interested men, that Snyder has begun to group then together, e.g. 'the monkeys' and 'the jumping jacks'. Only problem is there are too many people, too many names... I simply lost track. There is the baddie camp, the monkeys, the jacks, the hero's brother and family, the northern tribesmen, miscellaneous sergeants, the sister, her nasty boss and various resistance personnel. There must be 30+ names, and Snyder hops from one group to the next without enough visual imagery or distinguishing features for me keep track. Some characters are easy (Belen, Kerrick and the bitch air magician spring to mind), but most of the others blur into a smear of supporting characters.

One thing I always love about Snyder's books are that the plot idea is always new and innovative, with masses of scope for fascinating expansion. I just feel that she isn't stretching herself any more. The idea is always great, but once she starts, she just stacks the same old building blocks together to produce the same old book with a different title, skimping on character depth, economising on description and scene setting, and chugging through the action with choppy sentences.

I may go back to 'Poison Study' and see if the writing was really more detailed, personal and interesting - or was it just that my excitement at finding a new author made it seem that way?

3.0 out of 5 stars Scent of Magic by Maria V Snyder, 8 Dec 2012
Full disclosure: I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Anyone who's been reading my reviews and tweets for a significant amount of time will know that I am a huge fan of Maria V Snyder's books. I've read all of them apart from the Glass trilogy and have really liked to loved them. Scent of Magic is no exception.

That said, I did find the beginning of this novel quite boring. The first two thirds were dull, and nothing really happened to make me excited to continue reading. It was my love of the author's other works that kept me going. In the first part of the book the characters just went around doing one thing and then onto the next, with no real action or any heart racing moments.

Scent of Magic is a little different from Touch of Power, in that it is told from both Avry's and Kerrick's points of view. I found Kerrick's parts to be a lot more interesting than Avry's, probably because there was more happening and more to be discovered in his adventure. Despite really not liking the guy for hitting Avry in Touch of Power, I really enjoyed getting inside his head. His scenes were more interesting than Avry's by far. That doesn't mean I like Kerrick, though. I'm one to hold a grudge on someone for hitting a woman.

The pacing and excitement picked up when Tohon reappears. His wit and his overall insanity was hilarious. I love him a lot, and he's definitely my favourite character out of all of them. I like psychos in fiction, okay?

My favourite scene was definitely the big one towards the end with Avry, Tohon and other characters. Without giving spoilers, I will tell you that I found it funny and exciting and quite thrilling. I can only wish the whole book had been this good!

Despite not liking the majority of this novel, I'll definitely be continuing with this series. I love Maria's writing style too much not to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scent of Magic, 23 Dec 2012
Everyone apart from Kerrick thinks that Avry has died from the plague that killed millions of people; however she was saved by the peace lilies. Now Avry and Kerrick have to separate as Avry is going to use her "death" to reconcile with her sister, help the army against King Tohon's walking dead and discover the secrets of the death lilies and peace lilies. Whilst she is doing this Kerrick is returning to Alga to help his country against Tohon's army and the invading northern tribes.

Scent of Magic is the second book in the Healers series and while a bit different from Touch of Power it is just as good. There are just as many twists in this book as there are in most of Snyder's books and the pacing is action packed but not too full on.

Avry is selfless and kind and is a strong heroine who is able to fight for what she believes in despite the odds. We learn much more about Kerrick in this book as half the book is told from his point of view and his personality has not changed from Touch of Power with his protectiveness and love of outdoors.

There are new characters in this book and while they are good, they are not as interesting as the characters we meet again from the first book. If I have one problem with the book is that with Avry and Kerrick separated, the group dynamic which was brilliant in the first book, is disrupted in this one.

The ending is very action packed and exciting which will leave you longing to read Taste of Death. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Maria V Snyder books, especially Touch of Power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Lacking but good, 21 Dec 2012
I love Maria V. Snyder's work and I've read all of her novels out at present. She is one of my favourite authors but I feel her Healer series lacks slightly compared to her Study and Glass series. Don't get me wrong this is a good book but her other series are better and I believe this is why I'm finding it hard to review because I'm comparing it to the others. New readers may think completely differently to me as they are new to her work but I've come to love her other work and these Healer books fall slightly short. It pains me to say this but I like all my reviews to be honest. Despite this Scent of Magic is a good fantasy novel, it's just not my favourite by the author.

Scent of Magic joins Avry shortly after she was bought back to life by a Peace Lily. All of her friends believe she is dead and this gives her the perfect excuse to go undercover and find out what the enemy, King Tohon is doing. She also needs to fix things with her sister who still believes Avry abandoned her. Kerrick, Avry's lover is not happy with her choices but he must return to his home town to protect it from some tribes. Going their separate ways they both learn there are more threats than just Tohon. Kerrick finds out that the tribes are planning to take over Alga and other places and his brother struck up an agreement with the leader which may not be in the realms best interest. Avry, now disguised as Sergeant Irnia, she begins to train Estrid's army the skill of remaining silent in the woods all while trying to gain more information. Of course trouble follows Avry everywhere and it isn't long until it hits. Separated Kerrick and Avry must face their enemies alone.

Avry is the last healer in all of the fifteen realms. I liked it in this book where Avry didn't need to rely on her healing powers. There's so much more talent and skill to her character and this time we really see it shine through. We see her intelligence shine through as she uses strategy and knowledge to use her new disguise to the full potential to get all the information she needs. Kerrick we didn't get to see so much in this novel but I liked how she didn't have to depend on him always being there to save her. She used her own wit to get out of tricky situations.

The novel is told from both Avry and Kerricks point of views as they are separated during the novel. It worked quite well despite one being from first person and the other third. I didn't have any problems with it. I have always loved Snyders secondary characters in all of her novels and this one is no different. I loved Flea the most, he was just so cute, I wanted to hug him. Oh and Belen, Papa Bear. The new additions in the novel which included the sergeants were all great additions too. Unlike Snyders other series which are more focused on mystery and adventure these are way more political. This may be why it doesn't appeal to me as much, nevertheless the fantasy aspects are all on top form.

Scent of Magic has incredible characters with a very powerful heroine. The plot is very complex which is why this is suited to the older teens and adults. There's plenty of character growth, betrayals and conflict. There's a lot going on in this novel, so be prepared for it to take a while to read while it all sinks in. Scent of Magic is a good fantasy novel with one hell of a cliffhanger ending. Oh and it has my favourite cover ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Avry of Kazan" series book 2, 8 Jan 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel) (Paperback)
I don't want to go into too much of the plot as it would contain spoilers if you haven't read book 1 "Touch of Power". All I'll say is that following the phenomenal ending in ToP, this book proved just as exciting, thrilling and heart breaking in places.

Avry faces plenty of personal tragedy in this book, losing new friends and old as the battle lines are drawn when her enemy Tohon begins his campaign to become the ultimate power within the 15 realms. Tohon's army is something that may be impossible to defeat, plus assassination attempts and treachery pepper the plot until the futures of Avry, Kerrick and those they love appear particularly bleak.

There is further information about the Peace and Death Lilies, and we uncover more of their strange abilities. The action is pretty much constant throughout, yet there still remains a strong romance between Avry and Kerrick (despite their lengthy time apart). There is also plenty of magic wielded by some of the powerful characters introduced in book 1, which all adds to the high level of drama. Lastly Avry remains a highly likeable, strong, feisty heroine with obvious vulnerabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel) (Paperback)
Can't wait for the next one - good read - will love win through in the end. Will the fight be won!

5.0 out of 5 stars More great stuff from Snyder, 5 Aug 2013
I am a keen reader of Snyder's novels having read the Magic Study series and the Inside Out twin set. I put off reading these books based on mediocre reviews of Touch of Power. However, finally having read Touch of Power, I quickly moved onto this one devouring it in under a week which is great for me. Snyder does not disappoint with a fine balance of action, frustration, magic, politics and heartbreak all rolled in to one. I cannot wait for the final book in the trilogy. If you're a fan of Snyder, these are highly recommended. If you're not, give her books a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow-up to the first book, 31 Jan 2013
A great instalment in the healer series. I can't wait for the next book - hope it comes out soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing..., 8 Jan 2013
I fell for Avry in the first book A Touch of Power- she was compassionate, driven and a little vulnerable behind the veneer. So i was eager for this installment to arrive. I really hate to say it, because I have generally like Maria Snyder's books (though more the Study series than the Opal Cowan books), but I was really disappointed with this- the story seems stilted because we spend every chapter flitting between Avry and Kerrick on their separate missions; the overarching bad guy that is missing for most of the book and the new characters do not bring enough drama to make up for it; most of all though, it is the change in Avry that doesn't sit well- maybe it is because the narrative is split between the two so that Avry doesn't have time to develop naturally-but she seemed like a different character to me, and it was hard to be interested in what was going on.

Mostly i'm saddened that this book didn't match the quality of the last. Not sure I'll be waiting so eagerly for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 July 2014
Love Maria V Snyder really enjoyed this book

Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel)
Scent of Magic (An Avry of Kazan Novel) by Maria V. Snyder (Paperback - 3 May 2013)
5.59