4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting
I found this book quite haunting, mainly due to its simplicity.
Jacob drowned in his eighth birthday in 1966 but now he has returned. He is still eight years old but his parents are now in their retirement years. They have hugely conflicted emotions; they are overjoyed to be reunited with their son but is it really Jacob and where has he been? Jacob is not the only...
Published 16 months ago by Dot

3.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Torchwood, Les Revenants, and Friends Reunited!
This very much put me in mind of the Torchwood series "Miracle Day" - where people stopped dying and things didn't turn out well. It is also initially similar to the newish French TV series Les Revenants, or The Returned, where those who died a few years ago turn up, the age they were when they died, unaware that time has passed, (I've only watched one episode, so can't...
Published 20 months ago by DebB

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it though it still left unanswered questions, 18 Sept. 2014
I bought this after having watched the first few episodes of the TV series which is based on it. Apart from one or two characters the book is totally different. I enjoyed it though it still left unanswered questions.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning better than the End, 6 Oct. 2014
started off really good and stayed that way for about two thirds of the book but found the ending a bit of a let down. don't know what i expected but it just seemed to fizzle out a bit for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling read!, 7 Sept. 2014
Watching the series "Resurrection" inspired me to read this book -it did not disappoint!
Hoping the series does it justice - looking forward to episode 3 tomorrow on Watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 3 Jun. 2014
I liked the premise of this book. Unfortunately that's the only thing I did like about it. It's an intriguing idea to consider that the dead, the protagonist in this case being an 8 year old boy called Jacob, could returnThe prose was bland and the characterisation was poor. In my opinion the plot (such as it was) lacked direction and the individual stories of the Returned that interspersed the chapters didn't seem to inform the main storyline; this contributed to a lack of pace in the novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed in this - started reading after watching the first ..., 6 Sept. 2014
Bit disappointed in this - started reading after watching the first episode of the TV series. Starts off well but then seems to fizzle out with no real answers to what was happening !

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent read, 23 Sept. 2014
Highly recommend this novel. Have had many late nights recently, because I just have to read some more pages. Characters so believable, plus a great tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 23 Sept. 2014
Watched 'Les Revenants' which I assume is based on this book and although the premise seems a little absurd I found myself enjoying it. A good holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have read for a long time, 16 Oct. 2014
This book is gripping throughout. The characters and conversations are totally believable. The ending is not what I wanted but makes for a great story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 16 Oct. 2014
Thankyou Jason Mott I could not put this book down,,,, for anyone who has lost someone this book makes you think,,,, and yes if I could, I would,,,

3.0 out of 5 stars Left me with more questions than answers, 19 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Returned (Hardcover)
Originally published on Serendipity Reviews.

The concept behind this story blew my mind. Imagine what would happen if the dead started turning up on the doorsteps of their loved ones as though they never left. Mind boggling isn't it! Before embarking on the journey through this tale, I tried to imagine how I would feel if my relatives turned up - would I accept them as though they never left or push them away because they couldn't possibly be the same person? A difficult thought to settle for anyone. Intrigued by these questions I dived into this book. I loved the contrasting reactions from different people as the dead returned, looking just as they did when they died.

The book centres on an older couple, Harold and Lucille, who find their son returned to them who died in accident many years ago. Grieving for most of their married life and tired with time and age, they now have their beloved son back to look after. Each of them deals with this dramatic change to their lives in different ways.

As more and more of the dead appear through the world, their little town panics and the government move in to control the arrivals, by actually capturing them and keeping them imprisoned. I found that aspect of the story extremely sad and hard to read. I can understand how people would panic - this is unknown territory - what if the dead end up outnumbering the living? Yet to see them caged like animals reminded me of the concentration camps in WWII and it really did upset me.

As the book progresses, the situation with the returned goes out of control, to such an extent that an unofficial war erupts between the previously dead and the unliving, resulting in a rather sad ending.

I can't deny this book was well written, but unfortunately it left me with more questions than answers. I wanted to know what had made the dead return and I felt that was glossed over. My brain couldn't cope with the lack of explanation and that spoilt it a little for me.

I understand that this book was looking specifically at a family's reactions at dealing with this situation, but at times I had to skim over their story. For a long period of the book, events seemed slow to move on and I found the plot dragging a little. It felt like something was missing - almost as if the plot was actually happening behind the scenes. This book might have worked better if their had been a dual story with another Returned person, rather than snippets about some of them.

On the whole this story is an excellent idea, with a brilliant setup and beautiful prose, but if you are going to create such a daunting idea that smashes existing spiritual and scientific beliefs then you have to come up with some plausible theories as to why the events happened.

‹ Previous | 15 6 713 | Next ›

The Returned
The Returned by Jason Mott (Hardcover - 6 Sept. 2013)