4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting
I found this book quite haunting, mainly due to its simplicity.
Jacob drowned in his eighth birthday in 1966 but now he has returned. He is still eight years old but his parents are now in their retirement years. They have hugely conflicted emotions; they are overjoyed to be reunited with their son but is it really Jacob and where has he been? Jacob is not the only...
Published 14 months ago by Dot

3.0 out of 5 stars Shades of Torchwood, Les Revenants, and Friends Reunited!
This very much put me in mind of the Torchwood series "Miracle Day" - where people stopped dying and things didn't turn out well. It is also initially similar to the newish French TV series Les Revenants, or The Returned, where those who died a few years ago turn up, the age they were when they died, unaware that time has passed, (I've only watched one episode, so can't...
Published 18 months ago by DebB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 27 Aug 2014
This was a great disappointment. I read all the little prequel tales and was looking forward to the full book but it was a real struggle to finish it. Nothing really happens. I kept waiting for something good/interesting/exciting to happen but it didn't. It only gets 2 stars because it was a great idea for a book but I felt it could have given so much more. It does make you think 'what if' all the dead returned but it doesn't really give you much more than that to think about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommend, 17 Dec 2014
A better read than l was expecting. Started reading it when watching the series but the book goes further than the series. A very good read and it was a pity to finish it. When reading how the author came about writing it, l could fully understand and empathise with his reasons. Having read it, l can see how the next series could be made. However, the series so far is different from the book but that could be to keep people watching; curiosity.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Returned by Jason Mott, 26 Sep 2014
An excellent read that I enjoyed from start to finish. I started to read the book to be honest because of the TV series Resurection I I thought this may not work but as excellent as the TV series is and I have only watched 3 so far the book is brilliant, the story captures you and Jason storytelling fantastic.My thanks to Jason for an excellent read

2.0 out of 5 stars just weird...no other words for it., 10 Oct 2013
ED Farr (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Returned (Hardcover)
It is hard to write a review a book when you don't even understand the description on the back cover. Harold and Lucille are in their 70/80's. In 1966, their 8 year old son, Jacob disappears from his birthday party. He is found, drowned in the river and the family are generally pitied by the community. Until, some 50years later, Jacob is brought to the front door by "Agent Bellamy". Jacob is still the 8 year old boy he was when he died.

As the book progresses, it transpires that Jacob, is not the only person who has returned to their loved ones from "the beyond" - which results in reprisals, national outcries and presidential announcements as anarchy and disruption breaks out.

I'm not entirely sure what genre Jason Mott is trying to write. The book certainly isn't funny, it isn't romantic, it isn't a crime novel, it isn't very frightening which stops it being a horror novel and if it is trying to be soul-searching, it isn't. The only way I can sum up the writing is, weird.

I can't help but wonder just how much editing this book has received. I wonder how much of the original work has been lost in order to make it fit a specific brief. There are sections through this book written in a different font, clearly the thoughts and actions of certain characters, but i'm not sure which ones as the bio-pics don't seem to relate to anyone.

For me there was no intrigue, no suspense, it isn't a book I enjoyed and isn't one I would recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Concept, 14 Sep 2014
Ms. C. Walsh "book worm" (belfast) - See all my reviews
I probably wouldn't have read this book except for the tv series. It is an interesting concept and I am waiting to see how the writers interpret the book.
I am not totally taken by the book as I felt a lot more could have been made of it. The book could have been expanded to explore some of the concepts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, but bland, 23 Feb 2014
T. Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Returned (Hardcover)
First of all, this is not the same as "Les Revenants"; it has the same basic premise, but is also very different from the French TV series, which I loved, by the way.

On the positive side, this book is indeed intelligently written and Mott successfully manages to create a specific atmosphere; while reading you can imagine the small town of Arcadia and feel the sense of loneliness and stillness. His description of nature is very poignant and the imagery that he conjures up is very moving and beautiful.

In spite of this, the book never really "catches fire" and though there are some moments when interest is raised and some exciting event is expected, nothing much happens and the majority of the book remains on the same level throughout. Honestly, I thought that reading through the book was a bit of a task; it isn't exactly the easiest book to get through in one night, though I doubt that that wasn't the intention.
I think for me, the problem was including the quote on the back of the book, which predicts that this book would be perfect for many book club discussions. Overall, I think that that would be the ideal place for this book and that the main function of it is to discuss among other readers, talking about the issues raised.

In conclusion, this is an intelligently written book, full of poignant imagery and Mott's motivation for writing is apparent and should be praised. However, it doesn't really go anywhere and reading it is a bit of a struggle.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not a zombie/horror book, 13 Jun 2014
This story is about a small village where people who have died and returned are sent. Hence The Returned. The main characters are a father and mother who's young son died 30 years ago and a government official Agent Bellamy. While some welcome The Returned, the government and other members of the public are understandably scared and want answers on why and how this is happening. This story is about death, grief and relationships. I had many questions during this story which are not answered or maybe that's the whole point. Worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 7 May 2014
This book took an interesting and, in my experience, new idea and to an extent wasted it.

From the very start it is clear that the dead are returning to life. Why? Who knows? Not me and I just finished the book. The author explores human reaction to the return of very large numbers of dead people to life. The earliest returnees appear to date from world war 2 , again there is no explanation as to why.

The exploration of reaction to the phenomena is pretty limited. At the end no one, either character or reader, knows why the dead, or at least some of them came back, nor why, in the end the appear to become dead again?? It is hinted, but not confirmed that the dead actually rise from their graves, though, they may travel across the world while doing so. No mention of cremation!

A frustrating read, perhaps intentionally. In my view a good and novel idea was wasted by a disappointingly thin story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking read, 23 Mar 2014
An interesting concept and a well written book, I would have liked more of an explanation as to why the returned came back and think the story could gave been developed further.

5.0 out of 5 stars right up my street, 15 Jan 2014
margesimpson "wifi" (sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Returned (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
on reading the blub about this book it reminded me in part of the sci-fi series "the 4400"were people abducted return from the mother ship of course on reading it ,this book is a very different novel and for a first one a very good indication of even better to follow , what would you do if the dead suddenly came back, the story un-nerves you scares you and reminds you of the best of human nature in one read , buy this book you wont be dissapointed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 412 | Next ›

The Returned
The Returned by Jason Mott (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2013)