5.0 out of 5 stars A book to fall in love with
I'll be honest with you: this is going to be less of a review and more of a love letter to a book. It's not my favoured approach, I'll admit, but as I see it there'll be plenty of objective reviews out there and on this occasion I can't be objective. This book is a love letter to readers. It's only fair that I write one back.

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares opens...
Published on 3 Jan 2011 by L

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but achingly hipsterish
Published 14 months ago by Danielle (What Danielle Did Next)

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to fall in love with, 3 Jan 2011

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares opens in the Strand, New York: the bookstore of all bookstores. It's Christmastime, and a boy named Dash is perusing the shelves just because he can. It's there that he finds a red Moleskine notebook that first sends him on a bookish treasure hunt and then prompts him to enter into correspondence with its author, Lily. Soon Dash and Lily are exchanging messages in the Moleskine, sharing stories and compelling each other to seek the notebook out in hiding places around the city. And before long, they're wondering just what they mean, or might mean, to each other.

As in the much-loved Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is narrated by its leads in alternating points of view, with Rachel Cohn writing Lily's chapters and David Levithan writing Dash's. Less cool and a little more contemplative than Nick and Norah, Dash and Lily share that same sweet brand of hesitant chemistry that soon has the reader utterly convinced that these two would be great together. I have to confess I initially found the hopeful and insecure Lily easier to believe in than Dash, whose unfaltering literariness is probably as unlikely as it is magnificent, but eventually I realised that's kind of the point. There's an element of fiction to everyone, even in real life. This book knows it, and so does Dash.

While Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is both captivating and entertaining, most of all it's a book overflowing with ideas. It's a book that will make you think about language and meaning and the nature of love. At the heart of the story are these complex layered relationships between writers and readers: Dash and Lily, Cohn and Levithan, you and all of the above. All these writers endeavouring to communicate ideas and feelings with their words, and all these readers interpreting them, and it's like a celebration of the whole writing and reading process. And at the same time, it's a moving experience because the words are beautiful and clever and sometimes even fanciful. It's never hard work, because it's witty and full of whimsy, but it asks huge and important questions. What exactly do we love when we love someone? What do they love back? How do we know it's real?

I know not everyone will love this book. I know not everyone will find tears (embarrassingly) welling up in their eyes on the bus on the way to work because they find certain passages so darn perfect. I also know I sound like a complete fangirly dork, and I hope you'll overlook that and pick this one up anyway. Because Dash & Lily's Book of Dares is also a book about taking risks and looking for love even though you might not find it. And you might find it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Me If You Dare, 9 Aug 2011
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because it reminded me so much of one of my favourite films of all time. A french film starring the beautiful Marion Cotillard called "Jeux D'enfants" or in English "Love Me If You Dare", although literally it means, "Child's Play". The whole film revolved around best friends Julien and Sophie who dare each other from childhood to adulthood with a tin box that they pass from one to the other as each dare is completed. As they grow up, the dares become more daring and risky. Suffice it to say, it's a great film.

But that aside - I bought the book because it followed the same concept, and therefore, I had a feeling it would be just as great.
I was wrong, because it surpassed greatness.

I have not been obsessed with a book this way in such a long time. This book is absolutely incredible in every way possible. I know I'm gushing here, but I honestly cannot help it! Dash and Lily are both such great characters. In fact, I've decided I'm calling my children Dash and Lily (and not Dash short for Dashiell, but just Dash, as in the connector of words).

Dash is, as Lily likes to put it, quite dashing. And Lily is the perfect teen model. It is extremely easy to fall for the both of them, and from the very beginning you root for them, wanting this to work out so bad. When Lily messed up at one point, I was literally at the edge of my seat wanting to scream, "NO! NO! NO!" Thankfully, it didn't last long, I couldn't have handled it otherwise.

Dash is such a clever, smart-mouthed, witty, yet cynical guy with information flowing out of him in such a remarkable, yet amusing manner that it makes him seem almost unreal. Whereas Lily is a little more believable, more human - if you may. The story takes place around Christmas time, where Dash is being a grinch about it and decides to spend it alone. Only, his solitude is interrupted when he happens across a red Moleskin right next to his favourite book in a second-hand bookstore that he frequents. In that notebook, is a dare. Dash accepts the dare, and upon completing it, issues a dare of his own. And hence, their adventure begins.

Lily, is a Christmas fanatic, loving absolutely every aspect of the season and the holiday, and always looking forward to it. Only this Christmas, her parents decided to take a belated honeymoon vacation, leaving her with her brother to spend Christmas on her own. She is a loner in one sense, but has a huge extended family, who more or less make up for the lack of friends. She loves pets, gets overly emotional when she loses them, loves soccer, reading, and writing apparently.

In fact, a lot of the time spent with the notebook is spent writing. Written are some of the most profound passages I've ever read in a young adult book. In fact, I've marked each and every one of them in order to go back to them time and again.

The book talked a lot about expectations, anticipation, assumptions and how well you can actually get to know a person. Dash and Lily started out as complete strangers, who simply met through written words. Yet the whole connection between them was established through those words. Almost like meeting someone online, only they did it in a more old fashion way. It makes you question and believe the power of words, and whether that is enough to create such a strong connection to someone.

One of my favourite passages was when Dash writes about letters forming words and those words being interpreted differently by people. He writes, "I wish I could remember the moment when I was a kid and I discovered that the letters linked into words, and that the words linked to real things. What a revelation that must have been. We don't have the words for it, since we hadn't yet learned the words. It must have been astonishing, to be given the key to the kingdom and see it turn in our hands so easily" (p.87).

Genius I tell you. Pure and utter genius. Yet so simple. It makes me hate myself for not coming up with it first.

Not to mention all the hilarious, laugh out loud moments in the book. I cannot begin to list them all, but I know I was stifling my laughter a lot of the time while reading it in public. The funniest thing ever in the book, is the Pixar film spoof that Rachel Cohn and David Levithan created, complete with title, characters (which consisted of office supplies), celebrity voice-overs, plot, merchandise, and separate interpretations by both Lily and Dash. Let's put it this way, the paper and the stapler fall in love - need I say more?

Cohn and Levithan, you've made me realise - I want to be stapled too.

P.S. And did I mention how I absolutely loved the reference to Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, when Lily was sitting in the bathroom stall and happened to read Norah's message to Nick?

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but achingly hipsterish, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
I was a huge fan of the movie version of Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist but somehow never got around to reading the book. If you met my TBR pile, you'd know why! So when I kept hearing good things about Cohn and Leviathan's latest offering I knew I had to give it a whirl. I was a little wary as to whether the charm and frivolity captured so well in my beloved movie would be apparent on the written page of Dash&Lily and happily I wasn't disappointed.

Dash & Lily is a breath of fresh air in the world of teenage romance books. A slow burner, we get to really know the characters seperately before they meet rather than a couple of breathless interactions before the inevitable teeth gnashing kiss or worse the long drawn out melodrama before the kiss happens and your nerves are screaming!

Both characters are at a loose end for Christmas as their respective parents are enjoying breaks abroad. Lily's brother Langston, hoping for some time alone with his boyfriend devises a way for his little sister to meet a boy worthy of her high-brow attentions and writes clues in a little red moleskine notebook for the unassuming potential mate to find and follow to meet his prize.

Dash is that unassuming boy, wandering the aisles of his favourite bookshop, he takes the challenge and so begins an adventure of hijinks, laughter, introspection, heartbreak and love.

There are many adjectives to describe this book. Cute, smart, sweet, charming. It's also somewhat irritating in its effort to be "Too cool for school" with it's constant pop culture references that appeal to hipsters forever quoting Salinger, in their Toms loafers whilst uploading their latest pic to instagram. In spite of that, the heart of the story shines through as both characters long to find a place to belong and that special person to share it with.

The story flows remarkably well considering there was no actual discussion between the authors regarding plot points as they simply traded emails of latest chapters and continued where the other had left off. In the middle there's a dip in the action and a melancholy period of introspection occurs which was difficult to get through. I don't personally think it was the writing that was lacking but the subject matter that was slightly hard to swallow. The pain of two teenagers alone on Christmas may be a bit of a First World Problem but it was no less heartbreaking to read Dash & Lily trade memories of both their happiest and most painful of holiday memories. The sad moments are interspersed happily with moment of pure silliness, usually provided by Boomer, Dash's irrespressible friend, forever getting into mischief whilst bringing our two heroes closer together.

The inevitable meet up is a disaster and the following awkwardness feels real and not oversimplified as often seen in similiar YA books. As the two navigate the minefield of their emotions and preconceptions of each other, their friendship deepens and they end up back where it all began...in the bookshop that brought two lonely souls together and gave them hope.

This book is a fun, light read with adorable,earnest characters, sweet and whilst painfully hipster-ish at time, never overly kitschy with quick-witted banter and intelligent characters with distinctive voices and personalities. Highly enjoyable!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great Young Adult read for the holiday season, 28 Nov 2010
My first thought when I finished this book were how I wish I'd waited a little while longer to read it. How it would have been that perfect read for Christmas week when all the decorations are up and the festivities are well under way.

The chapters in the book are divided between Lily and Dash, starting with Dash finding the notebook in his favourite book store. I laughed out loud at some of those first dares Lily had set for him. I loved that Lily and Dash were both down to earth, normal if not a little quirky, teenagers and I enjoyed their sense of fun and imagination, their honesty with each other whilst writing in the notebook and also finding out more about them in their 'real' world. Their characters really drew me and made me want to know more. Dash's friend, Boomer was hilarious, as were the array of family and friends bought into the story. All real characters in their own right. I think my favourite sub character was Lily's great aunt, Mrs Basil E. I loved the way she backed Lily up and helped in her mission to find Dash, even when it meant bending the truth a little and using just a touch of bribery.

I must mention the cover, as it's one of my favourites this year. It just looks so Christmassy and it really is perfect for the story.

This is a well written, enjoyable and funny read. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you can get a copy to read over the holidays.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute and funny, 3 Jun 2013
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
I've been wanting to read this for a long time now, the cover is just too cute to resist! It couldn't be more appropriate that I decided to pick this book up again at Christmas time because that's exactly when it's set. If you're inspired by my review to read this fab book, then now, like right now, is definitely the time to do it! I have heap of revision to be doing, but I just couldn't stop reading this book. (I think this sentence may quite possibly have made its way into just about every review I've written) In fact, I've been going to bed at around 3:30 a.m. every night because I just can't stop reading and as a result I am now extremely ill, but - it was worth it.

So apart from the uber cute cover, I was also drawn into the unique plot line. This didn't seem like your average teen romance, and I was right. Dash and Lily's story begins when Dash stumbles across Lily's notebook, wedged on a shelf at his favourite bookstore, next to his favourite book. Inside, he finds a list of things to do, if he dares, which of course, he does, and so their special correspondence begins. I suppose its a bit idealistic to think that if you left a notebook hanging around with a list of things to do inside it that the perfect guy for you would stumble across it, but somehow this story seems like it could be real.

The other great thing about this book is that it's quite relateable, I would say, to the average reader of this review. Both Lily and Dash are misfits who are much more comfortable with writing things down rather than saying things out loud and that just makes everything between them seem much more real, despite the fact that this story is really quite unrealistic (picture a dog running into a pram, a baby flying into the air, a teenage girl leaping for (and catching) the baby, and then a few hours spent in a jail cell).

This wasn't one of those teenage stories where you fall in love with the protagonist because he sounds so dreamy and hot, it's one where you learn to love and appreciate every single character because they've all got a part to play. That's not to say that I didn't think that Dash sounded dreamy and hot - because he did. You find out a lot about the main characters through their exchanges in the notebook and whilst they don't actually meet each other until about three quarters of the way through the book, you can feel the connection between the two. I love the realism that both characters had. Neither of them were the swooning romantic sort, but the practical and thoughtful sort who understood that at the end of the day, it was just a notebook full of dares and perhaps there was nothing more to it.

I think that the main reason that I enjoyed this book so much is that I'm secretly waiting for something exciting like this to happen to me. I wish that my parents would leave me alone for a week over the Christmas holidays, leaving me to do whatever the hell I want, when I want, including secret rendez-vous with mysterious bookshop boys. Alas, I don't think this will ever happen to me.

This story makes you think about what you're really looking for in that special someone and warns you not to get too caught up in the idea of someone, which, in my opinion, is a very important lesson. Whilst this book was exciting and daring, it was also calming. Now that I've finished reading it, I feel like a sort of serene peace has settled over me which is strange. (It also cured me of my review-writers block which is another plus). So all in all, this was an absolutely fantastic Christmas-New Years read that I'd recommend for any teenage girl, I guarantee that you'll fall in love with this story!

5.0 out of 5 stars A short and sweet read, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
I wish it was Christmas right now. I would have loved to read this book when it was Christmas. Good holiday spirited books are hard to come by as I am not that drawn by them, but something about this book compelled me to read it. Maybe the whole idea of two strangers passing back and forth a book in which they shared secrets seemed interesting. I haven't read a book that uses that idea, I mean sure you have the strangers thing but the whole "book of dares", a unique idea I must say. Right now, I sit here pondering why it took me so long to finally read this book. I think this will also be included in my list of books I read for Christmas. Okay so I was trying to sound all mature and smartsy pantsy there like Dash. I kinda failed.

I believe if there was such a thing as soul mates. Dash would be mine. Yes I probably sound like a fan girl but you see his looks were barely talked about so you know I love him for his character (okay maybe I am fan girling a little), I understand him because he reminds me of myself. I may not have faced the same circumstances but I understand his sentiments because I share them. Although that may make me sound pessimistic but neither I nor Dash are pessimistic. We just tend to overanalyze things. We both enjoy our own company from time to time. Okay so this is now turning into a comparison between me and Dash and I should stop that right about now. I am a mysterious being, no one will ever know me. *flips cape and disappears* *reappears to finish writing her review*

Dash has this way of sounding really mature, he could say the most amazing things and you'd be left wandering, because it would make you see this whole new side of things. Like for example this one time he is walking around the house naked, of course that does sound weird, but these were his thoughts when he was walking around naked.

"...naked as the day I was born, only without the blood and amniotic fluid."

It makes the whole idea seem more philosophical, like why don't we all do that, is there anything wrong with nakedness. He isn't an outgoing person by all means, he is rather awkward person, not in the sense that he doesn't have a lot of friends and stuff but because he says things that a normal teenage boy wouldn't even bother thinking about. We all question things and Dash does as well but I think he explains to us why it's not easy to find answers to everything. His parents' divorce changed him. He was left feeling slightly bitter and it may have affected how his turned out but I do believe that he has no hopes and probably does NOT want his parents to get back together. I am not exactly sure what he wants from his parents. Maybe to notice him more, I believe they both love him but with their bitterness towards each other, it makes it harder for him. He doesn't want to have to face one and hear them complain about the other or try to find out what the other parent may be doing wrong. For example when Dash's father asks him if his mom is bothering him, this is what he says, (I believe this is one of my absolute favorite parts in the book, it made me laugh so much):

"She told me if I clean all the ashes out of the grate, then I'll be able to help my sisters get ready for the ball."

Like I said, I really do like this guy (he is my soul mate for crying out loud) but I don't think I can dedicate my whole review to him (I wish I could).

Lily is also an interesting character. You would think from the first chapter in her pov that she would be a silly perky girl, all rainbows and flowers, but she isn't. She has a certain depth to her. What she really wants is to believe. She wants to believe that it isn't all hopeless. She is the kind of person who'll buy a poor person a bag of chocolates but she knows that it won't really make a difference. She doesn't believe she is going to change his life any but she still does it. I also love her nickname Shrilly, I believe the story of how this nickname came about is rather interesting and would imply that she is sensitive but I don't believe she is sensitive, she has a strength to her that nobody sees. Everybody in her family is overprotective of her because they believe she is so she doesn't really have a chance to explore the world outside of that shell. I think that she wants to be noticed (even when she implies otherwise) but be accepted for the weird person she is, she doesn't want to have to please people because they don't like her ways or think she is bizarre and she finds it better to be on her own then to be someone she is not.

I am not sure whether this book is a romance or not, but I think there is a coming of age of sorts or a realization at the very least. It may be subtle but it's there, because this book has so much more depth to it then may appear by reading the summary. It makes you think, it makes you laugh, it makes you sad and in the end it leaves you feeling content. The authors leave a lose end so that we can use our imagination to figure out what happens but we are pointed in a general direction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening Story and an Intriguing Premise, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
When I heard about this book, I was instantly intrigued. It sounded so interesting and enjoyable and so I knew that I would definitely have to read it. Then the recommendations from fellow bloggers came along and I knew that I had to get to reading it sooner because it was clearly as good as I imagined. Unfortunately, however, when I finally did get around to reading it, it took me a long time to finish because I just didn't feel in love with it as much as others around me had. It is one of those books that made me wonder if maybe I was reading it wrong because how could so many people love it while I was simply liking it? Nevertheless, I did enjoy the book and I read it to the end because I wanted to know what was going to happen but I simply didn't feel any spark with the book that made me feel like it was the best book in the world. I'm thankful to have read it and would still recommend it to others but it just didn't make it to my favourite shelf.

Everyone has their own thoughts about the Christmas holidays. Some people believe they are magical and are a time of hope and love and goodness, while others may just shrug them away as just another few days. It is two perspectives of Christmas that appear in this book and it definitely made for an interesting story and a unique adventure for the two main characters. The one part of this book that I really enjoyed was the concept. The idea of having a book full of dares that is shared between two complete strangers. It is sweet, romantic, and just sounds like crazy fun and something that I would love to see happen in real life. How the story develops was quite intriguing as well, I did get a little bored as it seemed to move quite slowly and I just wanted to know how it would end up but by the middle, it does get a little bit more exciting. The ending was really cute and it did make this book feel very worthwhile eventually, but it still failed to make me love the book as much as others had.

Personally I think the biggest problem I had with this book was that I couldn't sympathise with either of the characters. I wanted to. I wanted to get into their heads and to feel their emotions and to care about them but I just found myself too distanced from them. Lily is the kind of girl that I would have most likely been friends with at some point in my life. Quirky to the point of almost being a little crazy, she has a flare about her that I should have loved and has some big family stuff going on throughout the book that I should have felt something about but I just couldn't connect in that way. Dash, on the other hand, I don't know that I ever would have liked him. I found him to be a bit irritant, high-on-himself, and intellectually snobby. Further on he does do some things to redeem himself and it is explained as to why he acts the way he does but I just struggled to find any hint of emotion for him. I didn't care all that much for his particular part of the story and thought that Lily should have found someone better to do the dares with. However, it was only at the end that I realised that I was happy for the two of them. I finally had some connection to them too and realised that although I didn't like them individually, as a pair I could dig up some ounce of something.

I haven't read any other Rachel Cohen and David Levithan book, although I do want to read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, so it was my first time experiencing their writing style. This book is set into chapters of the different characters. Rachel wrote all of the chapters for Lily and David wrote all of the chapters for Dash. This was noticeable as there was a difference between the styles of the two chapters which helped to make the characters feel like they had their distinctive voices which I did like about the story. It is clear that Rachel and David work well together when it comes to writing. However, one of the things that also put me off the story was the very intellectual words used within the book. I'm not the dumbest person in the planet but I do stuggle with words, especially ones I've only heard once or twice and personally, I don't like the idea of reading a book with the dictionary sitting next to me so that I can look up the meaning of every other word. I understand that they were probably trying to cater to a more intellectual part of the teens, but I just found it to be distracting and annoying and just ruined my entertainment in the story. YA fiction can be intelligent and powerful without the need for words that your average teenager would never hear. That or it was just the cultural divide but I wouldn't know for sure.

Overall this book was an enjoyable one with a very enlightening story and an intriguing premise. It is one that has been loved by many readers and shared around among them but as I show, it is not a story that everyone will like (which ones are?). It is a contemporary story that is aimed more at the intellectual readers of the world, or the ones who can bypass words they're only faintly familiar with. But it is still a lovely, cute, romantic story that has the chance to capture your heart and take you away into a new world of exciting discoveries, fun dares, and other interesting things. So if you're looking for a book that may have the opportunity to warm the cockles of your heart, then you should definitely get your hands on this book. If you want a book that you are likely to enjoy more than me because I'm starting to get picky with my reading, then you should read this. But if you do decide to read this book, I think that reading it nearer to Christmas, or at a time when you want to get into that "Christmas Spirit" is definitely the best time to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - a playful romantic Christmas story!, 30 Nov 2012
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
This is the first novel I've read by both these authors, but the third by David Levithan (reviews of the other two to come next year). I have decided; Levithan is an authorly genius. Not only was this book lovely and Christmassy, it was sweet, romantic, and kind of philosophical. I loved it!

With her parents away for a second honeymoon in Fiji and her grandfather spending the holiday in Florida, Lily is not happy that Christmas is going to be spent with just her and her brother. That's not Christmas at all! To distract her and keep her busy, her brother comes up with the idea of the book of dares; Lily just may find a worthy guy through this small red notebook. With divorced parents and a loathing of all things Christmas, Dash has told each parent he is spending it with the other, and both end up going on holiday. Alone, and wanting to escape all the Christmas shoppers, he steps into his favourite bookstore, and finds a red notebook on the shelves, daring him to work out the clues, and offering him the perfect distraction from Christmas. And so begins a friendship among the pages that travels across Manhatten, but is it one that will blossom into more outside the book?

The story is told from both Dash and Lily's points of view in alternating chapters. The individual lives on Dash and Lily are quite different. Dash is dealing with some resentment towards his parents and a complete dislike of all things Christmas. Lily adores Christmas, but is completely annoyed that everyone has abandoned her at what is supposed to be the happiest time of the year. Dash is introspective, sometimes sullen, and "snarly", Lily is positive and optimistic, quite happy-go-luck, and can seem very young in the way she views things, but not annoyingly so. It's very strange and amusing, but also worrying, how they both assume the other is a certain type of person from what is written in the notebook, but are quite wrong a fair few times. The other isn't who they imagine them to be, and you worry this almost-but-not-quite blooming romance might end before it even really starts.

I don't think there's much more I can say about the plot without spoiling it for you, so I'll leave it there and just say it's a brilliant story! I can, however, talk about the book more generally. Levithan, I've noticed, has a writing style that is familiar and recognisable, no matter what the story he's telling or the characters involved. At the very end of the book, in the authors' bios section, it tells us that Levithan wrote Dash's chapters, and Rachel wrote Lily's, but I found I knew this any way, because of how Levithan writes. There's something about Levithan's writing that in every book by him I read, there is something that reaches me.

Both Levithan and Cohn say things through their characters in this book that feels like they are speaking to the reader as well as to the other characters in the book. I don't know about you, but I love it when a book seems to get me, offers me some advice, or just says something that makes sense of my life, past or present, or speaks to me in some other way. It makes it more than just a story, but special to me personally. And it's this and the fact that this is just such a playfully romantic story that makes me love it so much!

I fell completely head over heel's with Dash and Lily's story - and the whole idea of the Book of Dares! A fantastic, fantastic book, and I am so looking forward to reading more by these two authors in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare yourself 'cause this book is amazing!, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
Honestly? I loved everything about this book. It's fresh, it's funny and it's different. I mean, the idea of leaving a small red moleskine in the middle of the most famous bookstore in New York that is full of dares and puzzles? Brilliant!
If I was younger (and not married) I would do it in a heartbeat. The adventures and the possibilities are so many that I have my head spinning just thinking about it.

To be honest there's no much to tell without giving spoilers away. And you don't need that, right? So let's say the basics.

Dash and Lily: Best couple ever... not. It's the truth. They are so different that I'm sure that under normal circumstances they would never have become friends.
But that's the beauty about this book, you know? To see two different people share their lives, their likes and dislikes only to influence the other in a good way.
Lily is sweet, naive and at times very innocent which is why sometimes she may get on your nerves. But don's despair, Dash's way of talking will keep you around easily. He is clever, an smart-ass and full of dimension.

The plot: Simple yet different. I enjoyed every second of it. What I most liked was to walk around New York with them.

Supporting characters: Best crew ever! No kidding here, Lily's brother and in fact most of her family, are the perfect support for this innocent girl. And they are weird and fun.
As for Dash's side just let me tell you, he has one of the most loyal, crazy and strange friends ever. I one want of those for myself right now!

The style: It's the first time I read a book written by two authors and honestly, I'm very, very pleased. Since Rachel wrote Lily's chapters and David wrote Dash's I got to feel and to understand the way both characters thought without missing anything.

The ending: Although I liked it I have to make a confession... I missed something. There was a tiny knot that the authors never got to wrap properly, at least for me, and it bothers me a little.
Saying that I assure you that the main plot was tied nicely. And a quick recommendation? Read this book during Christmas's break, it will give the book a whole new level and you will enjoy it even more. Specially if you add hot chocolate.

4.0 out of 5 stars A story of dares, romance and self discovery all bound and unleashed by a red mole-skin notebook, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (Paperback)
The book begins its story in New York city under christmas. A romantic setting in a city where anything is possible, including meeting the right guy through a red mole-skin notebook in a second hand book store.

With one hating christmas to the point that he's willing to lie and con both his parents so he can spend it alone, whilst the other loves christmas to the extent that she creates her own carolling society; Rachel Cohn and David Levithan promised things would be interesting straight from the beginning should these two ever meet in real life aside from on paper.
I really started to laugh when the dares turned slightly dastardly evil at the expense of one another's unbeknown weaknesses.

I enjoyed how each dare pushed both characters to think differently, cross boundaries, explore new things and dare to do what they would have not done before. Adding to this each chapter was written alternatively from the point of view of Dash and Lily. The style of writing was somewhat uncommon, written almost directed at the reader, as though the characters were writing in a journal.

Lily was not your average girl but at the same time not a rare breed either. Enjoying and preferring her own company and that of animals to that of fellow students, Lily was somewhat detached but not a recluse. I liked Lily as a character, but Dash was by far my favourite. Quirky, bookish, with a blunt sense of humour and absolutely no regard for the unspoken courtesies of society's manners. For instance: I ask you something, you ask me something and therefore we have the beginning of a conversation. Dash's take is you ask me something and I'll ask you something if I want to talk to you, if not I won't in the hopes that you'll leave that much faster.
It was obvious that a great deal of thought went into this character. Being a boy of words and books, his favourite being the dictionary, his language was unbelievably well researched and sarcastic. Resulting in a combination that created a wonderfully interesting character. The kind of person you've never met, but that you'd love to just to be able to actually have a conversation and see how many words like "persnickety" he can fit into one sentence.
He made me look up quite a few of them!

Dash and Lily were two people that no match maker would put together, and yet on a simple red mole-skin, where they could be themselves without the fear of judgement and mockery, hiding behind the strength of fragile pages something happened. The romantic feeling was slow to build throughout the novel but strong and withstanding, born of something more than human attraction or a common acquaintance.

This book however wasn't so much about romance, although it was an important and present theme, as it was about discovering one's self and daring to be just that. Trying new things, moving out of your comfort zone and realising that sometimes the things you have steered well clear of in life aren't half as bad as you think if you give them a chance.

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares was somewhat unique in its genre and not entirely what I thought it would be. With the expectation of romance but with the discovery of a strong unexpected theme of self discovery Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have created an interesting story, and I can easily foresee myself casually perusing the shelves of book shops in the hopes of finding a red mole-skin notebook.

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan (Paperback - 5 Oct 2012)
5.24