5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Take on Zombie Sub-Genre
I was aware up front that the link to 'Alice in Wonderland' was slight but decided to give it a go, first borrowing from the local library and then getting my own copy once I realised that even sans Wonderland this was great fun and a new angle on the zombie sub genre.

Published 10 months ago by V. O'Regan

2.0 out of 5 stars For me this book is about a third too long.
Gena Showalter provides me with a conundrum. I have read quite a few of her adult titles and liked them enough to buy more. Yet when it comes to her YA books I feel like I'm missing something. I never got past the first five chapters of Intertwined and would have given up on Alice much sooner if I hadn't been so determined to finish it.

Alice in Zombieland has...
Published 18 months ago by lunaslittlelibrary

2.0 out of 5 stars For me this book is about a third too long., 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, Vol. 1) (The White Rabbit Chronicles) (Paperback)

Alice in Zombieland has nothing to do with the original. Maybe that expectation was an error on my part but apart from the Rabbit-cloud and Kat there is nothing that links these two stories. Had this book had a different title, another cover, perhaps I wouldn't have been able to enjoy this more but I can't be sure.

For me this book is about a third too long. Everything takes ages to start and when it does there are pages and pages in-between of Alice monologue. As a character I never did grow fond of her and have major issues with Alice and Cole's relationship. Alice has questions, given what is happening that is perfectly reasonable, yet Cole and the others tell her she's annoying and she agrees!

As the book progresses the pacing does improve and I can see how this story would appeal too many. But for me Alice in Zombieland didn't match the expectations I had and I don't see me continuing with the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Take on Zombie Sub-Genre, 6 Jun 2013
V. O'Regan (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews

It also has all the usual hallmarks of the teen horror/romance in that our narrator Alice faces personal tragedy and has to overcome the horrors of USA High School. Gena Showalter does well with this blending a degree of teen angst with a wry sense of humour. The action sequences are well done too.

So yes I'll be pre-ordering Book 2 and certainly recommending it to friends who are into zombies.

3.0 out of 5 stars "The White Rabbit Chronicles" book 1, 7 Dec 2013
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
One moment of indulgence changes Alice's life forever. Her family is dead, she's living with her grandparents, starting a new school, and vigilantly watching out for the monsters she thinks may exist. Add to this a strange premonition when she first sees bad boy Cole Holland. He also has an ex-girlfriend still hanging around who's part of his group of friends that spend their time hunting down zombies and killing them when they can.

I thought that the supernatural theme didn't work as well as it could have. The zombies are spiritual beings and they cannot be perceived by normal humans as they feed off negative emotions. Yet they also manage to act like real zombies, suddenly having the physical form to harm or start eating the flesh they crave in the human realm. There are a small group of people fighting these creatures. Alice and her posse of zombie killers have the ability to leave their own body and fight the zombies in the spiritual world. This leaves their physical body vulnerable as they appear to lapse into a fugue state, unresponsive to everything around them. Of course this would be the ideal opportunity for an enemy to attack. It would also be difficult to explain to friends and families, and would probably result in a psychiatric review. Luckily no one ever seems to find Alice and her gang during an out of body experience.

I thought Alice a somewhat weak, whiny character despite her determination to be strong. She is one of these girls that makes ridiculous puppy dog eyes at the boy she likes, blushes profusely should he happen to (gasp) look her way and the meaner he treats her, the keener she is. The story line also proved a mite disappointing. I thought there would be more of a surreal, magical feel to this book, instead think the dawning of a zombie apocalypse as opposed to a quirky adventure with oddball characters. The pace also stalled at times, but some of the characters certainly added to the plot (namely Kat; Alice's new BFF).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically unique, 31 Oct 2013
"Alice In Zombieland" I'm sure reading that title you're imagining a story about Alice falling through the rabbit hole or maybe a grave, into a land of zombie's, or a version of wonderland populated by Zombie's, or some such story that's basically following the original Alice In Wonderland but with added Zombies. You would be wrong. Very wrong.

Alice has always branded her father as insane, what with his monsters and his fight training and his insistence everyone is in the house before dark. But one night, she forces him to let her family leave the house....at night. When the car accident happens, and she see's the bodies of her parents being attacked by "monsters" she begins to wonder if she's going crazy too. Forced to live with her grandparents and attend a new school, things get even crazier when Alice starts to have visions of the future every time she see's bad boy Cole for the first time that day. Add in a rabbit shaped cloud seemingly warning of danger and she's convinced she's certifiable. That is, until Cole lets on that perhaps these "monsters" are real, and perhaps he, and his band of delinquents, can see them too. One way or another, Alice is determined to fight them. But she's not expecting the battle that comes her way.

Most of the time, it doesn't take much to please me with a book, but this book is the first book i've enjoyed alot for a few weeks now, it drew me in quickly. Alice was't at all like what I was expecting, she doesn't go to a high school with perfect girls and swarming with Jocks, it's a little rougher. Alice herself is not only a funny and charming protagonist, but she also proves to be strong and brave. We see her blame herself for her family's death, and then we see her build herself back up, gather her strength, stand up to Cole and learn to fight, refusing to back down.

The story is a Romance, an extremely cute Romance, but there's a lot of action and violence as well, so perfect for people who can't bear to sit and read pages of brooding blokes and pining girls. It's fast paced from the outset and extremely hard to put down. You'll just want to keep on reading thanks to the many twists and turns the story takes and the amount of action there is. Unlike a lot of books, there is always something happening, or it's building up to something happening quickly after, there's no long chapters where nothing much really happens and it gets a bit boring while you impatiently speed read to get to something exciting. There is always something exciting, funny, romantic or sad going on.

I must say I think Alice has joined my list of favourite female characters fairly fast, and this book is one of my favourite books that i've read this summer. I eagerly anticipate the release of the second book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 26 Mar 2013
I felt totally hypnotized. The two last book I've read were awesome, and this one exceeded my expectations. Now I think I'm afraid to start the reading the next book, because after three brilliant books I might just feel disappointed.

I read some reviews about this book where people totally disagree with what I will say.
First, this is not a book to compare with Alice in Wonderland. There's nothing, besides maybe a rabbit-shaped cloud, that resembles in the two stories. So, if you expected, like I did, that this is a different view on Alice in Wonderland, forget it.
What I look for in a book when I read it is not which things make sense and which doesn't...specially when it comes to fiction and fantasy books. When I read, as well as when I watch a movie, I don't rationalize things, not like this. I may think about them for a few moments, but that's it. It's a fantasy book... What I look for is a story that can blow me away, making it hard to close the book and stop reading it. A story that makes me want to read more and know more, and in the end makes me want the a sequel in that same minute. And I try to look at the writing of the author, hoping it makes the story even better. In my review I'll try to show you why I liked this book so much.

Okay, fans of zombie books may be disappointed with the zombies in this one. They are not the gore-zombies we are used to see, I agree about that. But while reading I forgot about that.
I forgot about the "two-girls-who-like-the-same-boy-hate-each-other" thing, which is annoying and I kind of started having doubts about the book when I first read about it... but this "girly issue" is not important, specially because we almost don't read about that, it's just a tinny detail in two or three paragraphs in the whole story. The book tells us more than this.

This is the story of Alice (aka Ali) Bell. She's an ordinary girl...or so it seems.
The book starts with an adrenaline rush, and I kept feeling that adrenaline rush while reading the rest of the book with some of the scenes.
After tragedy takes over her life, she moves to a different school and she has to start over. But from that day one, Ali's life will not be the same, whether she wants it or not, whether she runs way or she fights. And plus she has to live with an huge pain in her heart, which will make things harder for her. We read a lot about Ali's monologues, but I didn't feel bored. I think it was a good way of developing the character, letting the read know about the way she felt.
She meets Kat, who will turn to be a very special friend (the best!), before school starts, and when they run into each other at the first day of school, Kat is more than happy. Kat is quite a cheerful character, and she makes me smile, as she does to Alice. Kat immediately starts telling Alice what she needs to know about the other teenagers. Alice soon meets the "bad boys gang" of the school. Among them, is Cole. Strange things start to happen, she doesn't know what she's supposed to think or to be afraid of.
I like Alice, she is stubborn and when she's talking to Cole I found myself smiling quite a few times, since he is really stubborn and bossy himself. And even if she is described as someone that looks like a doll (or a "princess", as someone call her in the book), she it wild and determined.
Okay, Cole kind of annoyed me sometimes with his bossy away of treating people, but Alice decides not to let him boss her around, and it turns to be really funny to read their dialog sometimes. And the way Cole protects Alice...well, I guess we can forgive him and forget about his bossy attitude. It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't bossy, with Alice proving she can handle him.
But remember when I said Alice is an ordinary girl? Well, forger that... Cole and his group will find out she's not ordinary, and she does things they can't imagine.
The fighting scenes were wonderfully described, full of adrenaline and energy.
At the same time she has to think about training and fighting zombies, Alice has to take care of her family and starts being worried about Kat.
Many things happen, things we do not expect, people may not be who they seem to be.
The book kept me reading like crazy until the very last page. Now I want more of it.

About the writing, I read some reviews that say something completely different from what I will say, but I'll try to, again, explain my opinion.
I loved the way Gena Showalter writes. She knows how to make people keep reading. The pauses, the end of each chapter... It's easy to read and yet she managed to write everything in a way that I had to keep reading. This book is funny, somehow exciting in the fight scenes, and it exceed my expectations, even if it's not another version of Alice in Wonderland.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I wanted it to be, 27 Mar 2014
I was quite excited for this book after I read the summary, but it didn't quite live up to expectation.
The first thing to note is that it's not a zombie apocalypse book, which for some reason I was expecting it to be. There is a definite twist on your usual zombies, in what they are and therefore how you fight them.

I read the whole book over a couple of days and it passed the time, but I have no plans to pick up the sequel. It just didn't really grab me enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another twilight ?, 9 Mar 2014
A must for fans of the twilight series... I thought the book was the same except zombies replaced the vampires.. enjoyed it ..tho don't think I'll read any sequels .

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of ACTION, HEARTACHE & REVENGE!, 8 Feb 2014
4.5 stars
Eight words. I. Cannot. Believe. I. Have. Not. Read. This! Every time she mentioned bridezilla in the garden and then she disappeared, I was just waiting for her to run after her and disappear into a hole in a tree. But oh no! The cover is beautifully stunning, you will definitly not be able to misinterpret the theme of this story having the title originate from 'Alice in Wonderland'.

When Ali's whole family is killed in a car accident outside the cemetery, she now believes in the dangers that lurk among us. Monsters. But when she meets the mysterious and stoic Cole, they share some unusual visions of which neither know why are occurring, she soon understands the unknown. With perseverance, Ali begins to uncover more than she should. Alongside her training, she has Cole Holland alongside her… but his secrets are ones to stay locked away.

Alice (Ali) was an great character, she was strong, determined and never backed down from a challenge. I additionally loved some of her comebacks and the way she dealt with situations when those in the group voiced their opinion concerning how she was not strong enough to be a Zombie Hunter.

QUOTE: "“You are such a chick."
I widened my eyes in mock surprise. "No way. Are you sure?"
Sighing again, he rubbed at the tattoos on his wrist. "Mackenzie was right. You aren't slayer material."
Before he had time to register my intentions, I threw a punch. My sore, swollen knuckles slammed into his cheekbone, thrusting his head to the side. Pain shot up my arm, but I bit my tongue to stop a moan.
"You were saying?"
He popped his jaw, rubbed at the reddening skin-and slowly grinned. "Okay, so now I understand why Cole likes you. You're worse than Kat.” " FROM EBOOK.

Furthermore I loved her random thoughts and things that just popped out her mouth. She says the things we only briefly think about.

QUOTE: "Is it sad that my first thought happened to be: Thank God I'm off the treadmill." FROM EBOOK.

During this story I did have to sit back and think about a few areas...
I had to remind myself Cole is a sixteen year old boy, who can definitely act like one. And here he was being described as 'The Leader' of a group of essentially 'tough men', apparently they even scared full grown men... at sixteen? I can't image they looked that old! He may be hot, but I couldn't overlook that fact. Sorry Cole!

I did not see the strong relation between this story and Alice in Wonderland. I got the fact that about the white bunny cloud, the forest behind her new home and then there was Bridezilla dressed in white, possessing the fact that she could be leading her to the tree when she disappeared... but that was it. I was fully anticipating her to follow Bridezilla and enter a new world where they fight the zombies and find a secret society defending their little secluded town. I did like the way Gena twisted the story, however I did not feel there was enough similarities between them to have their title linking to Alice in Wonderland. But it did grab and intrigue me.

One of the areas of this story I found unique was how not everything and everyone is perfect. The characters were not perfect, they didn't all have the perfect life which is generally what is common in many Young Adult fiction titles so I was pleased to have a new twist. This story is definitely one of a kind, it instantly drew me in, we had multiple events occurring meaning the story was continuous and their was always something happening.

The ending was perfect! It kept me interested without anything being given away, I definitely did not see it coming. This story is full of action (zombie-fight scenes) heartache and revenge but additionally love and some funny scenes! I thoroughly enjoyed this first instalment in the White Rabbit Chronicles and am thoroughly looking forward to reading: Through the Zombie Glass. I mean, how can I ignore this cover (on the right), it is stunning!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping & Emotional, 8 Jan 2014
Review by Charlotte - Year 9

Alice in Zombieland is a gripping yet emotional book. Gena Sholwater has been very clever, mixing Gothic elements with romance creating a dangerous yet heart throbbing storyline.

The main character, Alice, has never been part of a normal family; her father has always been aware of the strange things that live on earth. Alice emotions take over when her life begins to fall apart following a tragic, horrific car accident. Alice knew things would never be the same again. Incidents prove her fathers suspicions correct.

Alice's new school provides a distraction in the form of Cole Holland, one of the most secretive, mysterious boys she has ever laid eyes on :) Revelations lead Alice and Cole to realise they have a lot more in common than they thought, unfortunately one of those things just happens to be Zombies!!!! With her heart on the line, Alice has to learn to trust again, putting her faith in Cole as her life depends on it.

My favourite part of the book is when Alice and Cole are able to come clean about the secrets they have had to keep hidden. Alice's struggle with the realities of her life are reflected in her questioning her sanity. Cole helps Alice regain the stability she has been lacking.

Alice in Zombieland is gripping, the tension runs at a high level all the way through, filling the pages with excitement. The cliffhanger ending has left me desperate to read the next book. I need to find out what happens.

This book appeals to both boys and girls and is especially suited to the 12 to 16 age range. There is something for everyone from romance to action and adventure. The world building is brilliant and the atmosphere created ensures total immersion into Alice's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Nov 2013
I totally love this book ... always great to reread. Love this book completely such a great story and plot

ARRAY(0xa80c09cc)