4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut
An excellent debut novel, the first one featuring FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell. This is superb to read. Cliched in places but fast and pacy. Mention the fact that the profiler is female and the sheriff is male and you should be able to guess the cliches. If you can look beyond this you've got an excellent read ahead of you.

The story is set in the close-knit...
Published on 9 Aug. 2007 by SJSmith

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading!
This is a standard serial killer novel. It follows a well-established format, and the heroine (a beautiful, highly intelligent female FBI agent with a troubled past) is hardly a unique creation!
Published on 17 April 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Great debut, 9 Aug. 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The story is set in the close-knit community of Platte City in Nebraska. A killer has been executed, convicted of killing 3 people in a most horrific manner. He knew the truth but no one would listen. Maggie O'Dell is called in 3 months later when a body turned up killed in the same style as executed Jeffreys' victims.

A kidnap, another victim and more people discovering the truth - where does it end? A fabulous plot and great writing from Kava. I will certainly be looking out for her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG! Step aside a new winner is coming through!, 6 Jan. 2003
By A Customer
This is one of the best books that i have ever read! It has it all, suspense, thrill, romance, and that chill that creeps up your spine to remind you that no one is immortal and we can go in very nasty ways! A well chosen x-mas present, i have now started the second book, Split Second, which is doing pretty well in following the footsteps of the debut. Cannot wait to get my hands on the third in the seris! A must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, gripping page-turner of a debut novel, 8 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
I've just finished reading Alex Kava's debut novel. Wow... I'm exhausted. This is a pacy thriller with plenty of false clues and suspense to keep you turning the pages. The characters are well drawn and rounded, if a little emotionally naive. I found myself really caring about them and their circumstances and willing the author to have finished their story the way I wanted. Any one who may be put off by the subject of the story should put their fears aside and give this brilliant book a go - Alex Kava leaves most of the horror to your imagination. I've been so caught up in the twists and turns of the plot that the book has gone everywhere with me for the last two days. I've just finished the book in the waiting room of the dentists. He wasn't pleased when I made him wait while I read the final two pages!! Well done Alex Kava on a brilliant debut. I can't wait to settle down with her next novel Split Second very soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 3 Jun. 2007
molko (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This was my first Kava book and I am certain it will not be my last. I really enjoyed reading about the characters and I loved the way Kava had described them. I think the build up to Halloween in the book really creates an atmosphere for the reader as you know the story is building up to Halloween so this creates alot of tension.

I would definately suggest readers of the genre to give this book a go as it was very enjoyable and I shall definately be getting the other books in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading!, 17 April 2002
By A Customer
Unfortunately there are a couple of badly written sex scenes which are a real turn off; much of the violence in this book is left to the imagination, and it is a shame that the author didn’t take the same approach with the sex.
Despite these faults I did enjoy this novel. If you just want to switch off your brain and be entertained for a few hours then this is the novel for you - not great literature but a perfect holiday read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kava, 3 Jan. 2012
Another good Kava book in pretty good condition. One page had a rip and a few words missing which was ok, I was glad it wasn't the last page

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll on the second, 30 Dec. 2009
Ms. B. H. Howe "book worm" (england) - See all my reviews
This debut novel is amazing! from cover to cover you are hooked and can not put this book down every twist and turn gets you on edge. This was the sort of book that you just never want to finish and to think that this is her first book I cannot wait for the following ones to come out I have not got any others of hers but I will be asking for them and buying them as I read them I cannot wait for the next Split Second roll on the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-down-able, 26 Jan. 2002
I have written short stories and would like to work on a novel and was interested to see what Alex's debut novel would be like. Once I started reading it, I could not put it down. It did have a bit of slow start, but even then, I wanted to see what was going to happen. As the story increased in pace and excitement, it was impossible to leave it. The way she portrays the killer and what is going through his mind, and his "reasons" for doing what he does, was amazing, it really made you feel like you were in his mind. I found I was reading faster and faster and could feel my heart pounding with every second that the killer was at loose. It was fantastically written and I had mixed feelings. I wanted to read on to see what happened next, but did not want to finish it. All in all, it's an excellent first novel, and I cannot wait for the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st Novels DO NOT come any better than this, 5 Oct. 2001
What can I say? For only the second time; I found myself returning to Page 1 and starting again, I did not want this fabulous book to end. It has absolutely everything - Obviously well researched, superbly crafted from start to finish, a new heroin in FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell (Clarice - you have a rival), and a story with so many twists and turns you will not want to put this down. I have read so many American serial killer thrillers; but this book is on a par with the finest - Michael Connelly's 'The Poet' - yes it's that good. Do yourself a favour a purchase this NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 12 Mar. 2011
This is a terrific little read for a debut novel. I downloaded it after hearing bestselling crime writer Sam Millar praise it as one of the best debut novels he's read in many years as both a book reviewer and crime writer. He was right on the mark. I suspect Alex Kava is a name we will be hearing more of in the not too distant future.

A Perfect Evil (A Maggie O'Dell Novel)
A Perfect Evil (A Maggie O'Dell Novel) by Alex Kava (Paperback - 30 April 2012)