Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis DIYED Listen with Prime Learn more Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2007
An excellent debut novel, the first one featuring FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell. This is superb to read. Cliched in places but fast and pacy. Mention the fact that the profiler is female and the sheriff is male and you should be able to guess the cliches. If you can look beyond this you've got an excellent read ahead of you.

The story is set in the close-knit community of Platte City in Nebraska. A killer has been executed, convicted of killing 3 people in a most horrific manner. He knew the truth but no one would listen. Maggie O'Dell is called in 3 months later when a body turned up killed in the same style as executed Jeffreys' victims.

A kidnap, another victim and more people discovering the truth - where does it end? A fabulous plot and great writing from Kava. I will certainly be looking out for her other books.
on 6 January 2003
This is one of the best books that i have ever read! It has it all, suspense, thrill, romance, and that chill that creeps up your spine to remind you that no one is immortal and we can go in very nasty ways! A well chosen x-mas present, i have now started the second book, Split Second, which is doing pretty well in following the footsteps of the debut. Cannot wait to get my hands on the third in the seris! A must read!
on 8 November 2001
I've just finished reading Alex Kava's debut novel. Wow... I'm exhausted. This is a pacy thriller with plenty of false clues and suspense to keep you turning the pages. The characters are well drawn and rounded, if a little emotionally naive. I found myself really caring about them and their circumstances and willing the author to have finished their story the way I wanted. Any one who may be put off by the subject of the story should put their fears aside and give this brilliant book a go - Alex Kava leaves most of the horror to your imagination. I've been so caught up in the twists and turns of the plot that the book has gone everywhere with me for the last two days. I've just finished the book in the waiting room of the dentists. He wasn't pleased when I made him wait while I read the final two pages!! Well done Alex Kava on a brilliant debut. I can't wait to settle down with her next novel Split Second very soon.
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2007
This was my first Kava book and I am certain it will not be my last. I really enjoyed reading about the characters and I loved the way Kava had described them. I think the build up to Halloween in the book really creates an atmosphere for the reader as you know the story is building up to Halloween so this creates alot of tension.

I would definately suggest readers of the genre to give this book a go as it was very enjoyable and I shall definately be getting the other books in the series.
on 3 January 2012
Another good Kava book in pretty good condition. One page had a rip and a few words missing which was ok, I was glad it wasn't the last page
on 12 June 2014
Ronald Jeffrey's was executed for killing 3 boys. He confessed to only one of the murders. Within months of his execution another boy is killed in the same way. Is there a copycat killer or was Jeffrey's telling the truth? FBI agent Maggie O'Dell is called in to assist Sheriff Nick Morrelli try to get to the bottom of this puzzle.

This is an excellent book. The characters we believable and the dynamics between them develop well. The main characters have their own personal battles: O'Dell a husband who' doesn't understand her career and nightmares over a previous case she worked; Morrelli, a sister who is th local journalist and will do anything to uncover the latest story and a father who was the previous sheriff and in the eyes of the town did no wrong.

I will be looking out for more in the series
on 19 February 2013
I was disappointed with this book. No one wants to reads pages of descriptions of everything but I felt that this author could do with improving in this area. The scene felt very grey and flat to me without any descriptions to help you picture the setting so it felt rather two dimensional. More like a report than a novel.

I also found the plot very predictable so there was no surprise as to who the killer turned out to be. The sheriff was rather a pathetic specimen and the rest of the characters so dull that I won't be bothering with any more of these books.
on 17 April 2002
This is a standard serial killer novel. It follows a well-established format, and the heroine (a beautiful, highly intelligent female FBI agent with a troubled past) is hardly a unique creation!
Unfortunately there are a couple of badly written sex scenes which are a real turn off; much of the violence in this book is left to the imagination, and it is a shame that the author didn’t take the same approach with the sex.
Despite these faults I did enjoy this novel. If you just want to switch off your brain and be entertained for a few hours then this is the novel for you - not great literature but a perfect holiday read!
on 30 December 2009
This debut novel is amazing! from cover to cover you are hooked and can not put this book down every twist and turn gets you on edge. This was the sort of book that you just never want to finish and to think that this is her first book I cannot wait for the following ones to come out I have not got any others of hers but I will be asking for them and buying them as I read them I cannot wait for the next Split Second roll on the second book.
on 10 September 2013
I finally took the plunge and tried an Alex Kava novel and was not disappointed, cleverly written, tense and with a good plot. A little heavy on the sexual tension between the two main characters but that may be down to it being a female author :-). Kept me enthralled all the way to the end and not wanting to put the book down. Have already bought Split Second. If you are in want of a good read this is the book for you.