on 18 July 2011
Notorious is the fourth book in the Scandalous Women of the Ton series. I have not read any of the previous books and that did not spoil the read of Notorious. Each novel stands alone, though characters of the other books will crop up familiarly to fans of the series.

From the first page, the author transports you back in time to glittering ballrooms, handsome gentleman and elegant ladies. She paints the portrait of the time effortlessly, before ripping the rose-tinted glasses from out face and showing the world of seduction, greed and ambition the glammer cleverly disguises.

The story is told in multiple POV's, which usually I find distracting. In the case of Notorious, I found it exhilarating. Jumping from Susanna's perspective to Dev's was intoxicating and only made me yearn for the book more in between my bouts of devouring this book.

I found myself bewitched by Susanna and Dev as they played out their bitter contempt for the other, which naturally progressed to deeper, more primal feelings. It was a pleasure to watch as the characters came undone, as they chipped away at the carefully erected exterior they had maintained so well in the past. Susanna and Dev grew as characters and evolved naturally as the story progressed.

I cannot praise this book enough. Notorious is one of those rare books that makes you itch when it is not in your hands - when a moment not reading is a wasted one. It will crawl beneath your skin (much in the way Dev does with Susanna) and stay there, unflinchingly.

Notorious has everything - intrigue, mystery, betrayal, sex, love, gambling, seduction, loyalty and honour. Grab it up as soon as you can. I guarantee after the first chapter you know exactly what I'm talking about.
on 26 August 2011
I have to say that this book didn't live up to the standard I expect from the author. It was trite, repetitive and based on the flimsiest of story lines. I struggled to suspend disbelief as some of the situations set up in the story line were so unbelievable, the dialogue was clunky and the characters very shallow. Not a good read I'm afraid.
on 20 October 2015
Incongruous when a character barely notices another's speech due to her own preoccupation, she thinks of it as a silent reel - a jolting anachronism. There is a lot of implausible sex and people getting very excited from not much, but oddest of all are the two almost forced marriages of two horrible men who will treat their wives with brutal selfishness to a naive good victim and a naive spoiled little princess, neither of whom deserve that fate. Both seem to be offered as happy endings. The device by which th hero and heroine are kept apart - her unwillingness to tell him the truth - is strained and hackneyed. Similarly both fear social ruin so keep secrets desperately but then let all be known, seemingly to no effect.
on 22 July 2013
I was pleased to read a book where a strong woman was up against a strong man, so many of these regency books are about the rakes of that period and Nicola managed this story very well, I always enjoy this type of story but this one peaked my interest because of its difference, so well done Nicola and thank you for keeping your readers happy.
on 22 July 2013
This is my second book from the series (Scandalous Women of the Ton). They say the thrill is in the chase. It was a little disappointing as the last book ended in a similar way - the women always run off at the end and the man has to pursue.
It was an enjoyable book.
on 13 March 2014
Bought Book 1 on Kindle 99p Deal of the Day and was hooked. Great read - best if you read the series in order as, whilst they are individual books, they intertwine with the characters. Will definitely read more of her books.
on 4 September 2012
We are now going of to the cousin in the Ton series books. It continues the family story and Nicola
Cornick just keeps the interest focused on everyone around. The next in the series out this week. Can't wait.
on 19 July 2015
Another amazing story which kept me entertained for hours. This story was well written and moved at a fast pace especially the last chapters. Not a story to be missed.
on 18 July 2013
I chose this book so I could loose myself in romance. It is very enjoyable reading about a time long ago.
If you like Georgette Hayer you will love this book.
on 7 July 2013
Not quite what I expected but readable? I expected better than this but I persevered with the book to see if it would improve. Unfortunately not