4.0 out of 5 stars Strong start. Original worldbuilding.
This was an absolutely fascinating read. I love it when an author comes up with something new and exciting. Something we haven't already seen a million times before. Another one I really enjoyed discovering this year for this exact reason was Diana Pharaoh Francis' Horngate witches series.

So, the basic set up here is to do with magical bindings, oaths and...
Published on 18 Nov 2011 by The Demon Librarian

Published on 24 Sep 2012 by J. Cooper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong start. Original worldbuilding., 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) (Paperback)

So, the basic set up here is to do with magical bindings, oaths and promises. Being forced to comply against your will, and having the strength to push against such ties to do what you think is right. The magical element was somewhat small in this book, nobody had any really flashy powers as such, and there were no vamps or werewolves (shocking I know), but there are magical or "Skilled" people, and they are, for the most part, either trackers, binders or travellers.

There are two main types of trackers. Our protagonist, Olivia ''Liv'' Warren, is a Blood Tracker. One with an exceptional range which makes her a popular girl. She needs only a small sample of someone's blood to track them down. Another type that we meet is a Name Tracker. With the use of your real names (the more names they have the better) they can trace people within their range.

There were also Flesh Binders who bind with blood tattoos or a contract sealed with blood, and Travellers who can move through shadows. It really was interesting to learn about these abilities and how they came into use. Essentially, the city is split into three sections, two of which are run by opposing Mafia-like factions, and the third is a relatively safe or "neutral" zone. The heads of the two factions are Jake Tower and Ruben Cavazos. Liv works for Ruben.

It's safe to say there is no love lost between Liv and Ruben and she doesn't work for him for the pleasure of his company alone. There is a lot more to this part of the story and I found theirs to be a very weird and slightly twisted working relationship that was nonetheless intriguing to read.

A former lover of Liv's comes back to town, a name tracker called Cam Caballero. It's been six years since they broke up and a lot has happened in that time. We find out exactly what as the story progresses, and interestingly, the story is actually told from a first person perspective equally split between Liv and Cam. I had to do a bit of a double-take when the first switch happened because with it starting out in first person I wasn't expecting it to change, so this aspect was usual, but it really worked.

Overall, this is a gritty, dark world and a story that sucker punches you in the guts a few times before it's finished with you. I was surprised at how quickly I got engrossed in the story and the characters and it managed to shock me once or twice along the way.

I think the main reason it didn't make 5 stars for me was simply the fact that, at one point, a mystery is about to be revealed and they are discussing it for quite some time, but I'd already worked it out about 3 chapters back, so I found myself giving the book the wind it up sign because I already knew what they were getting to. I don't know how obvious this will be to others, or if I'm just some kind of evil genius, but it was a slow section because of that.

The next book is about a different character all together. One of the secondary characters in this story, so it will be interesting to see how different that book feels. Vincent's certainly taking the road less travelled here, and it's great fun to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloodhound and Blood bound...., 10 April 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is darker than the Shifter series and with a lot of new ideas. I liked the concept of blood seekers, oaths that can't be severed or people who travel within shadow worlds. It was a breath of fresh air for the genre. Some of the scenes are quite abrasive and the dialogue is very hands on and in your face. Vincent shows us how the boundaries of friendships can become bent, abused and torn when they are used as pawns in a game. The only thing I didn't enjoy and the reason I didn't give this five stars was the switching of first person narration by the main characters. The first person wasn't the problem though. It was the lack of indication of who was telling the tale and then switching the narrator in the midst of a chapter with no indication other than beginning a new paragraph. I would have preferred the name above, just so the reader doesn't have to guess via the info they are reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbound book 1, 29 Aug 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm a massive fan of Rachel Vincent's Shifters series so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Blood Bound and as soon as it arrived it jumped immediately to the top of my to read pile. The world she has created in this new series couldn't be more different from the Shifters books, the story is much darker but it has everything you would expect from this author - strong characters, plenty of action and twists that will knock you sideways. Blood Bound is a must for any urban fantasy fan and this has the potential to become one of my favourite series, my only disappointment is that I'll have to wait a year before I can get my hands on the next book!

The world may have known about the Skilled for 30 years but governments and the law still refuse to publicly acknowledge they exist which has created a black market for anyone with enough money who wants to use their abilities. Some of the Skilled have the ability to track anyone by either a name or a tiny sample of their blood, some of them can travel through shadows to any destination and others have the ability to bind you to a magical contract that will cause you physical pain and even death if you try to break it. As you can imagine these skills are highly sought after and 2 main crime syndicates will do whatever it takes to have control of the most powerful Skilled and earn money by using them.

Liv is one of the most powerful blood trackers, going on her official range she can track anyone in an 80 mile radius using just a drop of their blood but in reality she can find you even if you are much further away. Liv has been running from her past for 6 years now but it is about to catch up with her when her ex Cam arrives on the scene bringing with him one of her oldest childhood friends. Thanks to a blood oath between Liv and her friends she is unable to refuse Anne's request for help even if getting involved is the last thing she wants to do. Liv resents her friend for forcing her into something but as much as she hates the position she finds herself in she does feel sorry for Anne and deep down she wants to help her. What she really doesn't want is to accept Cam's help to do it, although Cam is the love of her life she walked out on him 6 years ago without giving him any kind of explanation and Cam is determined to win her back. That is something that Liv can't risk but it takes a while before the reason for this becomes clear.

The story is told from both Liv and Cam's perspectives and I loved that we get to see both of their sides of the story. Liv is a strong character but she also has a vulnerability to her that makes you feel protective of her. She is keeping a lot of secrets but as you learn more about her past her actions become much more understandable. Cam is someone I loved as soon as I met him, he is so sweet and protective of Liv but he sees her how she truly is and knows she doesn't need to be looked after. He has never gotten over her leaving him and is still crazy about her, he can tell she has feelings for him too and doesn't understand why she keeps pushing him away. He uses her bond with Anne as a way to get back in her life and isn't going to let her get away from him this time, he wants an explanation and will do whatever it takes to get it. The chemistry between Liv and Cam was fantastic and I loved watching these two together. There is just enough sexual tension and romance for an urban fantasy - it never takes over the main storyline though, just enhances it.

When it comes to the plot I have to admit I found things a little confusing for the first few chapters but this is often the case when you're starting a new series and trying to become familiar with a new world. Once the story takes off it will have you gripped to the pages and you won't want to put it down. Liv and Cam find themselves caught between the two main crime syndicates and there isn't going to be an easy way for them to resolve things. While they care for each other they both have big secrets and if they are revealed it will change everything. Can they find a way to help Anne and a way to be together again or are they destined to be pulled in different directions? You'll have to pick up a copy of Blood Bound to find out, in the meantime I'll be sitting here desperately waiting for Shadow Bound!

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like the 'world' created and the characters didn't appeal either!, 24 Sep 2012
J. Cooper "Jude" (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) (Paperback)
How disappointing. I have loved RV's Shifters series and I have even managed the first 4 of the If I Die series but this has no appeal at all. For a start I cannot stand the Noble Sacrifice as a premise for a book - I ran away from our love to save you! Then again I didn't really care what happened to any of the heroes/heroines who were all characterised as manipulative liars - and that was their better character traits. The idea of the Skills that people had was an interesting concept for this world but the mafia type violence and aggression displayed by pretty much everyone was a complete turn-off. What a shame. I won't bother with the sequel as I see it is also based in the same setting and with the same group of friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars The author creates an amazing world of extra sensory skill!, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) (Paperback)
Really liked this... one of my favourite authors.

This kept me on my toes, it has two Narrators, Liv and Cam - it switches between the two and I found myself having to double check the indicators to be sure from whose point of view I was currently hearing the story. Not a criticism, a fact! Which I actually began to enjoy thoroughly once I kept track. An interesting decision by the author to offer the two emotional slants as the book unravels. Well done Rachel.

I did however feel that I was really just beginning to get entirely absorbed in the new extra sensory world when the plot came to quite an abrupt end. Some major events occurred, without the chance for the main character to have any input. A "fait accomplice" I realize to establish the setting for the next books. Frustrating though.

I was expecting good things from this book, I loved the drama/action of Rachel Vincent's first adult series. This did not disappoint. Although the sexual chemistry between Liv and Cam and 6 year abstinence could definitely have been exploited more for this readers enjoyment. This may have been one of the reasons it was slightly shy of the 5 star that I had worked myself up for simply because I needed just a little more to be totally hooked. A solid 4 and half stars - but I can't give that.

I look forward to the second book of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible start to a new series., 28 Sep 2011
Beanie Luck (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) (Paperback)
I have been an avid fan of rachels for many years and loved her shifter series, i was very disappointed when that ended because Faythe to me was such a brilliant character.

Rachel has given us another strong female character to sink our teeth into, an unusual story, fits seamlessly into the paranormal world and its extremely well written.

I really wont go into vast detail with a synopsis because clare and sarah have done a stellar job already.

If you have loved and read all of rachels shifters series then you will know what an amazing writer she is and this book is on par with those.

Fast paced, great detail, great plot, great characters, and best of all there are going to be more in the series.

Yay !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) (Paperback)
Blood Bound is set in a world where some people have what is known as Skills. Some people are Seer's and can see the future, some are Travellers and use shadows to travel from one location to the next and some are Binders and can bind people in a contract using blood. Blood is very powerful among the Skilled and if blood is spilt it must be destroyed straight away as it can be used against you to Track you or to Bind you without your knowledge. Names are also powerful among the Skilled as you can also be Tracked by somebody knowing your full name so it is very important that no one not even your parents know your full name.

Olivia Warren is a Skilled Tracker who can find people by using a sample of the lost person's blood. One day her ex-boyfriend Cameron Caballero shows up, Liv hasn't seen him in six years when she walked out on him at a party and left him. Cam asks Liv to help Anne a mutual friend with a problem but Liv does not want anything to do with either of them. This leaves Anne with no option but to use the binding oath that was made between Anne, Liv and two other friends when they were children. You see that is the problem when a Skilled Binder binds people in an oath, you cannot get out of that oath and if you try you will die trying. So Liv has no option but to help Anne with her problem and Anne also insists that Liv joins forces with Cam who is also a Skilled Tracker of names.

I really enjoyed this book it was not what I was expecting at all. It is written from both Liv and Cam's perspective which keeps changing throughout the book and I loved this. I think it lets you explore the characters more, seeing them from another perspective. I don't know why but I thought it might be something like the Shifter series but it wasn't at all. As I said at the start Olivia is a hard ass she is a murderer and is connected with gang leaders. You might think that there will be some nice decent characters in the story and in their own way they are nice but they are also nasty and manipulative. There is some romance in the book but not too much. I would like to give this book 5 stars but there were a couple of things that bugged me. One was the ending it seemed a bit easy and rushed, the rest of the story is well paced and takes place over 400 pages and the ending could have been a bit longer. Second is the reason Liv left Cam in the first place if they were as in love as the story makes out I find it hard to believe that Liv would have walked out so quickly and easily. Saying that I really like this book, I was totally engrossed in it and couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this book especially if like me you love Ms Vincent's writing. The second book in the series Shadow Bound is already on my tbr list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Vincent successful series, 24 Mar 2014
great characters and plot enjoyed it alot
good pace
couldn't put it down
Roll on book 2 buying it today

5.0 out of 5 stars blood bound by Rachel Vincent, 31 Dec 2013
A very gripping story. I enjoyed this kindle book. I liked the way the author wrote as both main characters. I felt that I got to know them. I would like to read more about them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Nov 2013
Blood Bound is another great book by Rachel Vincent, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, it had great plots and twists and turns and you can't help but fall in love with Liv! Currently reading Shadow bound

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel)
Blood Bound (An Unbound Novel) by Rachel Vincent (Paperback - 16 Sep 2011)