5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful play. Great ending.
Published on 6 Mar 2011 by M. MCLEOD

3.0 out of 5 stars Jerusalem
Enjoyable, different. Definitely has a sense of itself. Will read more by this playwright in the future if I can...
Published 3 months ago by hooterbob

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful play. Great ending., 6 Mar 2011
M. MCLEOD "Myles Mc" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
I bought this to read after reading about the play on a news website. It's a great play to read and I would love to see it performed one day. I'm not sure how anyone outside the UK would take it as the characters and setting feel very English, but I do think the main character is so idiosyncratic that he would be interesting for anyone to watch. A great tale of something very earthy mixed with something very romantic (about England and the English) and folkloric. I loved the ending. It was one of the best endings I've "seen" in a play for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kreisch!, 13 May 2010
S. Walter "Walküre" (Bad Pyrmont) - See all my reviews
Dear fellow theatre lovers,
I can only recommend this play to you. I'm from Germany and saw the stage production in London's West End, because the title made me curious as I know the hymn "Jerusalem" and I had one of the best theatre evenings in years! As English is not my mother tongue I decided to read the play as well, because I really would not want to miss any of the jokes and satire in it. It's fresh, it's witty, it's entertaining as well as bitter to swallow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful At All Levels - and there are many, 13 April 2011
David Wineberg "David Wineberg" (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
Jerusalem is about many things, from the hard partying gang that hangs about Rooster's rickety Airstream trailer, to the sadness of the discrimination against Romanys - Gitanes - Gypsies - of which he turns out to be one. Condemned to making money as a daredevil in his youth and a blood donor in middle age, Rooster is determined to live large - while the local town does its utmost to boot him out. In between, we are treated to the magic of central England, the fairies and giants and mystical beings that inhabit the woods and glens that for centuries have provided our legends. From Robin Hood to hobbits to Shrek, this setting is as fertile as they come, and author Jez Butterworth milks it to its fullest.

The first two acts are riotously funny, setting us up for the dismal fall, which is obvious from the beginning - this can't last. And it doesn't. But along the way we are treated to Rooster's intelligence, his understanding of the way things work, and his role in them. It's a remarkable story of coping and survival in a hostile environment, buried in a haze of gin and marijuana, as anybody in his situation might descend to. To that point, Jerusalem is highly believable. This could (and of course has been) going on in real life. Only the wonderfully involved massive and mammoth lies that Rooster spins are obviously made up. He has made himself into one of the great legends of the woods, remaining Rooster while generation after generation of teenagers in search of something more hang out for a while and move on.

A delightfully complex story, though readers don't have to get all this from reading it. As a straight story it is highly entertaining. But make no mistake, there is a masterpiece lurking in these pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 May 2010
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
Bought to keep one of the finest performances I have ever witnessed fresh in my mind, I also found myself thinking harder about the themes of this amazing 'state of the nation' play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jerusalem. British Drama to be proud of., 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
This Play is absolutely amazing, I would recommend you to even buy it just to read it. It's that good! DO IT NOW

3.0 out of 5 stars Jerusalem, 12 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars studying this play, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
needed to get a copy to study from- love the play, enjoying studying it, this is a decent edition to work from

5.0 out of 5 stars :), 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) (Paperback)
Arrived quickly and in excellent condition. I needed it for my Literature A level studies and it's a perfect size to go into my school bag: would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 4 Nov 2013
Fab book, would have loved to have seen this live! Worth reading esp if you live in Wiltshire, enjoy it's brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quick read, 22 Sep 2013
This is a funny play which is very quick to read. A story of light hearted banter which makes you laugh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays)
Jerusalem (NHB Modern Plays) by Jez Butterworth (Paperback - 9 July 2009)