Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2009
I love this book. It is so easy to use and I don't lead workshops or rehearsals without it now. The layout means you can just dip in and grab a game at a seconds notice and it has games for all ages, purposes and group sizes - it really is brilliant.
on 29 June 2009
What a great book. Loads of ideas which can be used as a starting point in a workshop or linked together to make an enjoyable and focused session. Completly invaluble. Creating workshops would be so much harder without this book.
on 13 June 2009
Having read a copy of this book, I have bought one for each year group of my primary school. This book contains a wide variety of drama games, in categories such as warm-ups, trust games, characterisation, etc. Each game is clearly explained, with suitable ages from 6 to adult, length of activity, follow-ups, and so on. This is great to dip into but can also be used as a stepping stone for further in-depth activities in a drama lesson.
on 8 May 2009
A clear and easy to read guide to a range of games. Each with age recommendations and instructions for resources and playing rules. For those who have been working in this area for some time there may not be many new ones but for those who are new to drama it will prove an invaluable resource. Would also be useful to those working with children in day care or teaching as many of the games can be used outside the drama workshop.
on 28 June 2010
I use this regularly in drama clubs and in a variety of lessons for KS2 children. It offers a range of games categorised by purpose (eg training voice, energising, imagination etc)so it's easy to pick starter games for the particular session you have planned. I've also used the games in Xmas parties and such like as well as time fillers at the end of the day. An invaluable resource for any teacher.
on 6 April 2010
After an interesting and worth reading introduction, Jessica Swale launches into the body of the work. Well organised and explained, this is a brilliant tool to help you plan drama workshops and includes material that I have not come across before. At the present price it is a must have.
(also check out the Improv Encyclopaedia that may be downloaded free of charge)
on 16 January 2012
I've been a freelance drama teacher for 7 years and have read nearly ever book on drama teaching and drama games/exercises, and this is by far the best. It's very practical to use, with lots of excellent exercises for drama lessons explained very well. I have recommended this book to all of my drama teaching friends and they all love it too!
on 3 October 2010
This book is amazing! I have used it to help me start my own drama club with 8-9 year olds, and its been such a great help!
From ideas to help with warm ups to games that will help you create a whole exercise its made my job a thousand times easier.
Would really recommonded this book to anyone who works with any ages in drama.
on 28 September 2015
I have no drama teaching training - just that my own interest has led to me to pick up what I can in order to offer a drama club to our Key Stage 1 children. As the blurb promises that these activities can be used with any age group, I was disappointed to find that less than half are aimed at 6+ and nothing lower than this. Having said that, the ideas that are relevant are good but there is nothing in Character Development for the younger children, only one thing in Storytelling and nothing in Improv or Cool Down.
on 29 November 2013
It's useful but the majority of the games are not suitable for teaching drama to young children. As I teach Kindergarten I was quite disappointed.