Format: PaperbackChange

on 6 March 2012
I've enjoyed reading this book and the ITLAD.

Admittedly this book is an embellishment of the Daemon writing in the ITLAD but Mr Peake does a good job of expanding with some interesting information. I personally think that the Daemon is really the subconscious which, depending on your point of view, is the huge repository of your experiences and calculator of your brain. When you drive, after you've learned to drive so it becomes a reflex, it's your subconscious that is doing most of the driving with the odd surface thought from you - but that is for another discussion. Anthony Peake does a good job of providing background information to support his theory and this book gives specific accounts of interactions from people in history with the daemon. The example of Lord Byron and Joan of Arc are interesting. Sure the material could be cut back a bit but I do think all the material is required to gain a full understanding of his theory.

And remember this is a theory. We can't be certain of the Eidolon:Daemon duality but it is fascinating reading. It goes some way to explain why we have two hemispheres of the brain. Peake provides a researched story where psychology students had a conversation with a supposed Daemon - and the information about subjects who had the link between the left and right brain then experiencing dual personalities is something that does need to be investigated more. Well worth a read especially on Kindle or at discount price.

Interestingly, I met somebody on the London Underground who was reading this book while I was traveling into work. I started up a conversation with the guy. Then we both got off at the same tube station and it turned out he worked at the same place! I'd never met him before.
on 26 July 2012
Peake's premise is that we are all, in effect, two selves: the eidolon, the 'ordinary' self which we perceive as us, and the daemon, which has a far broader spectrum of awareness than the eidolon but is largely incapable of communicating this, so we are mostly unaware of its existence.

This theory of dual consciousness is nothing new yet there remains much of interest in this book. Personally, however, I found Caitlin Matthews' "In Search of Woman's Passionate Soul: Revealing the Daimon Lover Within" (despite the title!) to be more insightful and practical. Matthews' research, although not 'scientific' also reveals that awareness of, and communication (in both directions!) with the daemon is nothing unusual and is certainly not confined (as Peake suggests) to sufferers of migraine, TLE or schizophrenia, nor to those amongst the 'ordinary' populace confronted by imminent death.

Peake frequently refers to his previous book and his Cheating the Ferryman theory. Essentially, this states that when we are dying, our consciousness splits in two. For our ordinary self, time exponentially slows as our daemon shows us the 'movie' of our life, minute by minute. However, our ordinary self experiences this as reality, not realising it is a re-run. This may happen an infinite number of times. Peake argues that one of the daemon's functions is to alert us to potential disaster so that we may re-write the script. If successful, the daemon no longer knows how our lives will turn out as it has not lived this version before. What Peake fails to explain is why, if it exists in a kind of hyper-reality, the daemon is confined by time at all, especially by such an eidolonic perception of it. I suspect that from a daemonic perspective everything would be here and now. And considering that most of us live fairly humdrum lives, and that the daemon may have to re-live these countless times, it is a wonder that daemons do not make more efforts to spice things up a bit out of sheer boredom. I remain far from convinced that Cheating the Ferryman is at all necessary to account for such phenomena as precognition and déjà vu, as Peake believes.

The book also displays several inconsistencies and errors of fact. For instance, at one point Peake asserts that we have no control over our night-dreams: has he not heard of lucid dreaming? At least two paragraphs were repeated verbatim: as one of these followed a discussion of déjà vu, I took good care to check I really had read it before! I put this down to authorial/editorial sloppiness (or what is Peake playing at?).

What troubles me most is that Peake explicitly assumes that we all experience ourselves as being 'in our heads', thus propagating the dominant religious and scientific view of 'us' as somehow separate from not only the body as a whole (even as he locates consciousness in the brain) but also from the physical world itself, therefore making communication with it all but impossible and ultimately allowing us to behave deplorably towards it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2009
This is the most intriguing book I have read in a long time. Dealing with the duality of human consciousness in a very readable way, it contains ground breaking ideas, well thought out and supported by the results of laboratory tests. Peake does not claim to have all the answers to the mysteries of the human mind but rather puts forward logical premises based on many years of research and personal experiences.The daemon is the higher self which resides in the brain along with the lower self or, eidolon,--the part referred to as "I".

The written style of this mind-blowing book is almost conversational and diagrams do much to facilitate understanding of the more obscure points being made.Well worth reading--more than once.
on 29 October 2010

The main idea of this book (and the one that interested me the most) is the idea that you are not one self, you are two selves. There is the Eidolon (your normal waking consciousness) and there is the Daemon (what this exactly is not certain but it could be a non-temporal part of you). The Eidolon is the limited self which has all these experiences. The Daemon is the "higher" self (though that term can be misleading) that exists beyond time and space(as the Eidolon would understand it).

This is a groundbreaking book. There are lots of things that happen in life (in your life), that people cannot explain and scientists write them off as hallucination or just anecdotal evidence or claim the witness is just wrong. Science doesnt like the subjective, the *individual* you see. At the moment Science is trying to explain OBEs & NDEs in terms of their Objective Truth. That is, its worth and value is only applicable if it can be shown objectively. (ie the experience you are having is not of value unless that individual experience can be shown to have objective value. Do you notice the problem with that line of argument? I do) But anyway i'm getting apologies.

What i like about this book is that the author doesnt fall into that same trap. He uses Logic and treats the authenticity of the Subject with respect. According to objective science you will die, your body will decompose and you will be no more. However science does not address the subjective. You live your life through your own subjective experiences. You dont live it from an objective perspective. Suffice to say...something very interesting will probably happen when you come face to death with your "physical" death.

I'm just an average person yet i have had unusual experiences including deja vu moments where i was convinced that X event had happened before. I have experienced a NDE event and i can assure you it was not a "hallucination" unless of course hallucinations are defined as feeling more Real than reality...and there was also very strange kind of pain..not Body/physical pain but pain that felt like i was being forced OUT of my body but i digress! Jung talks a lot about these strange coincidence "events" as synchronicities have a look at his work to find out more. Many great thinkers and scientists have had Eureka moments where a solution would suddenly come to them as if from nowhere... There are parts to consciousness that we currently have barely begun to research. Why is it we have two parts to the brain which each can actually exist independently of the other? And can even seem to be 2 individual consciousness. (google temporal lobe epilepsy also see [...]

Another book i would recommend is: The Origin of Consciouness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian is as quote from a review of it "His theory, in simplest terms, is that until about 3000 years ago, all of humankind basically heard voices. The voices were actually coming from the other side of the brain, but because the two hemispheres were not in communication the way they are now for most of us, the voices seemed to be coming from outside. The seemed, in fact, to be coming from God or the gods." Very interesting tracking the evolution of the brain and humankind.

Essentially we dont die: upon the moment of death we find that our experience of time is radically changed (elongated to exponential lengths (infinite?)) e.g. people have reported experiencing their entire life as a life review in NDE's. How is this possible? So when the moment of our death actually happens, in physical terms. The significance of that will not matter that much because our awareness seems to exist in an altered temporal or non-temporal state. In other words time slows down immeasurably so and strange things begin to happen...very strange things...

Hopefully this review was a bit helpful in parts at least. The other reviews have done well summarizing the book.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2010
This is an extremely readable and thought-provoking book - it reminds me of Colin Wilson at his best. The idea that human beings consist of two different selves has a long history - Peake synthesises the major ideas and interprets them in terms of his own theoretical framework, adding many important insights. What he calls the Daemon, the higher self originating in the right brain, lives in an essentially timeless state, and is the source of all our creativity, intuition and other higher powers, but somehow our sense of self has become cramped into the 'Eidolon', our lower left-brain self, so that we do not live to our full potential. The book offers a glimpse into our true potential as human beings and into the true nature of reality, beyond our subjective, restricted normal view of the world.
on 18 April 2012
I rarely read books twice, because there are so many good ones out there. On this occasion I made an exception to the rule, because it is so thought provoking and so well put together.
Peake has this brilliant knack of collating information from all over the place and putting it into a coherent system of thought that leaves people intrigued and asking for more.
I have long been fascinated by sports people, artist, musicians and even scientists like Einstein and wondering how they do what they do.
This book gives us the answer; The Daemon your higher self steps in and takes over. When a top tennis professional returns a serve at 120 mph he has no time to think about it, he just does it. However, the implications are that subconsciously he knows where the ball is going to land before the server even hits it. Of course this raises interesting questions regarding free will and I am in the camp that says we don't have any. Einstein was asked how do you do what you do, and he replied, he was a conduit for something bigger than himself which worked through him.
And when you ask top sports people, How did you do that, the truth is they don't know. They only know they did it and they know that when they did it there was no conscious thought. Thinking interrupts the doing, and I got plenty out of this book, and I have felt privileged enough to since befriend Tony and discuss his ideas with him and hopefully give him some pointers regarding future research and books.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 29 October 2012
The basic premise of this book is that each of us has a separate entity (The Daemon) who shares a body with us but who can only communicate information directly to us under certain circumstances. Hand in hand with this, is the idea that we are destined to live the same life over and over again and that this Daemon has therefore seen everything before. This is the explanation for deja vu for instance.
It is a rather nice feeling, when one is cold, lonely and broke, to think that there is a sympathetic entity suffering right alongside you, a being that would probably give you the winning lottery numbers and change your life completely, if only you could find a way to listen to it. One chapter does actually discuss a hypnosis experiment where The Daemon was allowed to communicate with the outside world directly and it revealed a 'soul' with hopes and dreams that would never be achieved because his life-partner simply would not listen to it. Yes, it does indeed sound like a marriage, with The Daemon playing the role of the severely underappreciated wife. However, I don't think the actual version has the capacity to nag to quite the same extent, nor to divorce its host and leave him with nothing. But it does apparently know everything - perhaps The Daemon is supposed to be the husband then?
on 31 October 2013
This was Anthony Peakes' 2nd book after his first one which was "Is there life after death? The extraordinary science of what happens when we die." When I read that book he basically stated what I have suspected all the time throughout my whole life. When I read "The Daemon" it was even more amazing than his first one; the fact that we all have this mysterious figure lurking behind us giving us little certainly makes sense & Anthony Peake has really explained so well. Believe me you need to get this book. The story of this goes back even to ancient times where Plato (the founder of the School of Philosophy) had mentioned about his daemon & what this mysterious figue is suppose to do. The book is so well written & laid out; at the end of each chapter he puts in a good summary to re-cap the important parts. If you do get this book I would STRONGLY suggest obtaining "Is there life after death?" as well; & read that one first before reading "The Daemon" then it will all make so much sense! I would say with his first book it was like "The Matrix" but with his 2nd one it was like "The Matrix: Reloaded".
on 25 February 2014
In order to fully appreciate this rather interesting book, you have to have an open mind. The author reiterates time and time again throughout the book that you do not have to take his theory at face value but occasionally stop to think and say yes I agree with you there but not here etc…, and believe me you will do plenty of agreeing and disagreeing throughout this rather fascinating book. The author has a way of getting you deeply immersed into the subject matter by using scientific, objective and subjective arguments which are really hard to argue against. His explanation of how the human consciousness could “cheat the ferryman” by the use of time dilation is a new spin on the quantum consciousness conundrum, which I found really fascinating. He does an excellent job in trying to tie together eastern mysticism as well as! .Confused? dont be, read the book and the author has a way of clarifying with vigour. The final chapter on Philip K Dick, was I think, unnecessary since the conclusion had already been drawn earlier, and hence the 4 stars. Overall an excellent read and I am half way through the author’s next book because of this book.
on 31 July 2012
This is a superb book!
The writing clear and well-crafted, and the reasoning solid. Very intellectual, and yet put together with great heart and feeling. Some of the evidence is anecdotal, but I do not consider that a flaw in a work that is so personal, and also that concerns such subtleties. You can't quantify spirit.
Definitely one of the current cornerstones of my library.