5.0 out of 5 stars Enhancing

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings
Published on 4 Feb 2007 by Hamster

5.0 out of 5 stars Enhancing, 13 Feb 2007
Marina Muller "Nelli" (Kefalonia, Griechenland) - See all my reviews
This book enhanced my life. In earlier years I was always a "down-to-earth"-person, living very much in "reality". Probably when you become older, you open up more and more to new ideas - not only about death, but also about life itself. Anthony peake manages to shift our idea of "reality". Even if Peake might not be "right" with his conclusions, it is worthwile to read this book to shift one's own perspective. Fortunately I was prepared for the first part of Peake's book by having red "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. Peake's foundation for his ideas are taken from scientific evidence and ideas, most proven, some not proven yet.

Part two was focussed on practical experiencec of NDE's, epilepsy and other "illnesses" or irregularities like schizophrenia. This made it even more real, bringing Peake's theories to life.

I wouldn't say, this book shows the absolute truth what happens when we die, but at the least it opens possibilities for our own, very limited, thinking about the matter.

And if Peake is right - the better!

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings, 4 Feb 2007
The first part of the book was interesting in its explanation of why quantum physicists have had to re-think the nature of reality. The universe and our place within it appears to be stranger than we can imagine...After this, the book seemed to do a bit of its own 'big bang', shooting off in many directions: what Gnostic christians thought and wrote, schizophrenia, brain studies, history, feelings of deja vu. precognition, dreams, Freud....I could feel that familiar feeling of disappointment - where's the 'science' that was promised? But I kept going. After all, as the author pointed out, trillions of other 'me's' have read only the first paragraph of the book and then chucked it away, read only half, read most of it but couldn't finish it etc. The only version of me that I'm aware of managed to read all of it, but skimmed a few pages in the middle where I wondered if the author was just treading water, telling us everything he knows about the issues that interested him.

Peake tells us that we have within us another consciousness. This is the 'Daemon' that has been here before. He 'sits on the top of the moving train' of our lives, able to see what the future holds for us. We, however, can't see the future because we are inside the train, looking out sideways at the scenery rushing by. Now and again, this 'hidden observer' is able to warn us of what's ahead, allowing us to make decisions that alter our future for the better. Some people get strong feelings not to board a plane. They may get a message in a dream, like the girl who dreamed in the 60's that her school was covered in 'black stuff'. Unfortunately, she died along with the other victims of Aberfan, as her mother didn't let her stay home that day because of a 'dream'. I wondered where all the 'Daemons' were on 9/11. Why didn't one of the victims get a message to take a 'sicky' on that day? The author admits that no astrologer got it right, but the daemons must have been asleep, or else everyone on that day was destined to die and get re-born and start again.

Finally, at the end, the author pulls together all the issues he explored and tells us that we all live our lives over and over again. Deja vu is our glimpses into our previous lives, precognition is a glimpse of the future that's already there for us to live, or to change if we can...I had mixed feelings about the book. In places, I felt that the author was on to something and at other times, I felt that it was all just a weaving of ideas with no solid evidence for any of them. I wish these books wouldn't have the word 'science' on the front cover. There really wasn't any scientific evidence for much of what was discussed here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - a must read..., 10 Sep 2006
zztopbanana (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am not at all sure the claims made in this book are 'scientific fact' but there are certainly powerful arguments supporting the author' theories.

Many of the conclusions are based on old experiments and, sometimes, even older case histories and these temper somewhat the strength of argument.

Personally, I feel the basis on which some conclusions are drawn to be rather tenuous and this means these conclusions are, perhaps, a 'leap of faith'.

The physics, however, cannot be called into question.

All that notwithstanding, this is an excellent and thought provoking read; very well researched and very well written.

I thoroughly recommend this book to all, with this proviso; don't blindly believe what the author states - read slowly and methodically to take in the arguments as they are presented, then make up your own mind.

You may just conclude, as I have, that he is not 100% correct, but neither is he 100% incorrect.

2.0 out of 5 stars half baked, 12 Jun 2008
i'm sorry to be negative but this book is potentially misleading and lacks rigour. His interpretaion of much of the science is lacking in foundation. He seems to be drawing on his own interpretations of other peoples work to weave a pattern to prove his theories. There is a sense of adding 2 plus 2 to equal 5 or 6. His writing style is excellent and there is much of interest - but given the errors - it is hard to take seriously. The book by David Fontana is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldnt it be nice!, 6 July 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (#1 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Is There Life After Death?: The Extraordinary Science of What Happens When We Die (Paperback)
I've read this book several times now and I personally am really taken by the ideas presented here.

It is science-y in parts and upon reading it a few times it does sink in as Anthony Peake has made a massively complex subject much more digestible than I've read elsewhere by psycho-babble uber clever experts in the field. He puts it as plain and simple as possible.

What could happen to your conscienceness at the point of death?

That is the bare bones of what this book is all about. I had never really been interested in near death experiences before I read this book. I'd read a few examples of NDE's in various magazines/journals but some of the examples here are literally jaw dropping (for me). I've searched out more examples since and am astounded by some of the descriptions people give. The one in particular in this book is the avalanche chap who re-lived in 'real time' (in his mind) several days of his life as a school kid second by second, every single detail to perfection. This all happened in reality in several minutes! Fantastic example. I liked the IMAX idea. You know, when your life flashes before your eyes in the blink of an eye frame by frame in all it's high def glory. All this information is stored in our consciousness and is mostly inaccessible until a traumatic incident happens to us and the idea of the Greek mythological river Lethe, interesting stuff indeed. I don't want to give too much away as this is a very interesting read.

If you are interested in NDE's, the concept of time in conciousness and the possibility of an existence after bodily death, give this a go and if you're not it may even change the way you think about death and the fear of it.

But, if we do re-live our lives again over and over, what about those poor people who are unfortunate enough to have been through wars, ethnic cleansing, torture and any other abhorrent life situations.

Surely not?

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there Life after death. Why taking the idea of an afterlife seriously, 26 July 2010
Excellent. Delivered within given time. Disappointed with author's arguments though. I Wish I had been given some idea of the contents before buying. Interesting from historical/ontological anecdotal aspect but not scientific in my view. I can't see how Science could take the idea of an Afterlife seriously without
proper experimentation and/or statistical evidence. Perhaps this is for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow this author is adept at keeping his reader interested and i could not put this book down so cheap too., 5 April 2012
i may well read this book again and again loved his ideas about what happens when we die and his easy to understand writing meant i read it right to the last page wishing it would never end

5.0 out of 5 stars Is There Life After Death?: Why Science is Taking the Idea of an Afterlife Seriously, 11 Mar 2012
This book explores something that must surely be of interest to all of us, "what happens when we die". It offers a new approach, using cutting edge science to explore and possibly explain what happens in our finally moments. I found it a very interesting read and would happily recommend this book to anyone who has an open mind. Is There Life After Death?: Why Science is Taking the Idea of an Afterlife Seriously

5.0 out of 5 stars Is There Life After Death?, 23 Aug 2006
Having spent most of my life reading up on the subjects of time, psychic phenomena, life after death, consciousness (and, more recently), quantum physics and the nature of reality; this book was a positive revelation. I have not yet discovered an author who approaches the interface of science and spirituality in the unbiaised way that Anthony Peake has succeeded in doing. I read the time theories of the late JW Dunne when I was 15 years old, and no other books since those, have had such a profound effect on my life; until this one. I also work with epilectics (you'll have to read the book to realise the connection) and have experienced personal psychic and precognitive episodes throughout my life. This is the only book that I know of to approach the nature of reality and the afterlife in a truly holistic way. Congratulations Mr Peake on a most outstanding and valuable piece of work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: subatomic train wreck, 30 Oct 2010
David M. Carter (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This book promises in its Prologue to be the "red pill" that takes you down the rabbit hole, and indeed the opening chapters present a dizzying array of phenomena and speculations that would keep even Alice and Neo thoroughly entertained. But it was only when I had struggled through to page 123 that I discovered just how unusual the author's understanding of the subatomic level of our own universe actually is. We read there of "primary particle photons" that, unlike any photon I had ever heard of, travel slower than light, though admittedly only by a whisker. Then we discover that these same photons are not only relative slowcoaches but are, even more astonishingly, also electrically charged, so that they can be deflected by magnetic fields. Neutrinos, meanwhile, apparently have a half life of only fifteen minutes, a property I suspect they have quietly borrowed from the unassuming neutron, which does not feature at all in the discussion.

If all this is a sample of the "solid scientific evidence" on which the back cover blurb claims the book is based, then I'll stick to blue pills in future.

ARRAY(0xa8d1fa5c)