4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable General Review of the Baltic Republics, 1 Sep 2011
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Paperback)
This review is of the latest revision of this book published in 2011. It is bang up to date, for example, in Estonia all prices are shown in Euros which reflects Estonia adopting the Euro shortly before publication.

The book adopts the normal format of rough guides, giving the general background and overview of each country, including travel to and around each country, major events and festivals, outdoor activities, accommodation, food and travel essentials comprising topics such as safety, visa requirements, health, insurance etc.

We visited Tallinn, capital of Estonia and so had the opportunity to assess the accuracy and usefulness of the information given for that city. Generally the main sights of the Old Town were summarised, though I did think that the information given was somewhat brief and as it is a very interesting area, could have included more to look out for - we saw a number of things we would have liked to know more about which were not mentioned. The listings of hotels and restaurants appeared to be up to date as far as I could assess. Generally, however, we use rough guides to find out what we should be looking at rather than for an assessment of accommodation etc. Tripadvisor and similar resources are fine for the latter, and as this is not a particular lengthy book I would have thought there was scope for the sightseeing aspect to be more comprehensive.

Unfortunately we did pick up an inaccuracy in the map of the central area which showed two Cathedrals of St Mary the Virgin which was quite confusing. We eventually worked out that the northern most one was, in fact, the Convent of St Michael which, whilst being very worthy of a visit with a fairly incredible illustrated screen in front of the alter, was not mentioned in the book at all. In the 3rd Edition of this book I would have expected this sort of inaccuracy to have been ironed out unless this is a gremlin which has just crept into the latest version but I am mindful that the budget given to the unfortunate editor to do an update is not generous and hence new editions tend to be titivations of previous versions rather than a proper root and branch job.

So a reasonably adequate general guide of the Baltic republics, but if you are visiting a particular area as opposed to travelling about, you may consider investing in a more specific and comprehensive guide to that particular city or area which is what we should have done in advance of our visit to Tallinn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Three in One, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Paperback)
Good detail but would have preferred to have had just Lithuania as the subject with even more detail concerning the three main cities of that delightful land.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, great information, 18 Jun 2012
S. Boyd - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Paperback)
I usually buy Lonely Planet but have found for other countries that their information (particularly for restaurants) is often out of date by the time the guide is published. This one was spot on and included lots of interesting information about the different countries. A great guide which I used for Estonia, although would have preferred it if I could have had the countries dealt with separately with more cultural information. However, it didn't let me down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Paperback)
A great help for someone going blind to this country

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 9 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania (Paperback)
I always try to buy a Rough Guide to whatever destination we travel, as it gives a no nonsense honest opinion about what to see and what to avoid and lots of practical information.

The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania
The Rough Guide to Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania by Jonathan Bousfield (Paperback - 1 April 2011)