Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2012
I picked this up in Waterstone's in Wells the other day when I was starting my bus tour of Somerset. I hadn't seen it before and found out it was only just published. It is an excellent guide to the area. I live in Bristol and I read through the Bristol pages just out of interest, I agreed with many of the recommendations and descriptions of the area and was particularly pleased to see it covered not only Stoke's Croft but also Gloucester Road, a hive of independent shops and restaurants that I've never seen mentioned in a guide book before.

Travelling around Somerset I found the commentary interesting and accurate, the restaurants I visited on the guide's word were all good and it alerted me to some places I wouldn't have found otherwise like the Blue Note Café in Glastonbury, the Museum of Somerset in Taunton and St Cuthbert's church in Wells.

I also found very, very few mistakes which is good but that can partially be attributed to the fact it's so new. The mistakes I found were very minor like listing the 8A bus in Bristol even though it doesn't exist any more and the fact St Mary Magdalene Church in Taunton closes an hour earlier than listed.

Overall I would say it's the best guide I've seen out there for Bath, Bristol and Somerset.
on 7 June 2012
With more Brits holidaying in the UK this yeartogether with the influx of foreign tourists due to the Jubilee and Olympics, information on the British Isles is in much demand. This new offering from Rough Guides covering Bath, Bristol & Somerset is a more than welcome addition to their renown collection of Guides covering all corners of the world. The book covers a wide area of this beautiful region, taking in the Bristol Channel coastline towns, quaint villages off the beaten track, areas of natural beauty such as Exmoor and Cheddar, historical places such as Salisbury, Wells and Bath to more modern, vibrant cities such as Bristol. The guide book really captures the diversity of the area and in turn makes it an attractive proposition to visit and explore.

The guide book is well set out, easy to follow and its wonderful colour pictures demonstrate the glorious sights to be seen such as the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the "must see" Royal Crescent in Bath. The information listed within gives relevant details on all attractions in the region, what each town has to offer, recommendations on Hotels and Restaurants taking into budget constraints. It also covers in more detail all the usual tourist attractions as well as the less known places that are worth a visit. The 50 plus colour maps in the guide are a tremendous asset making it easier to navigate the area.

I feel this is as comprehensive a guide as you will get for the region and therefore recommend it for anyone planning to visit the area as it will further enhance their experience.
on 5 September 2012
Great guide book that had good information about Bath and the surrounding area. We used it throughout our holiday and found the information about food and access to sites particularly useful.
on 3 January 2014
I learned a lot about the area in which I live and got lots of ideas on where to go and what to do -- hidden treasures that the guide pointed out.
on 19 August 2014
Very comprehensive and informative. We'd not been to Bath before, so were able to read up about this beautiful city and surrounding area before we went, which allowed us to make the most of our time there. Logically laid out and easy to read/use. Definitely recommended.
on 22 August 2015
The book seems to be very comprehensive and clearly written.
on 23 June 2015
Good guide covering a large area at the appropriate depth.
on 30 June 2015
Bought for a friend who was relocating and they loved it.
on 5 December 2014
Pretty good guide. Helpful if you don't know the area.
on 16 August 2013
Very confusing set up. Limited glossery. Hard to find your way around in the book.
Nothing surprising in terms of discovery/get you off the beaten path.