5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and much better than the Lonely Planet Guide
I have had this and the Lonely Planet guides to England for over a year now. I bought them as my job at the time required travelling around the country and new editions of both books had been published in early 2011.

Having used both extensively I have to say I much prefer the Rough Guide version for the following reasons:

1) The RG book folds out on...
Published on 13 Oct. 2012 by P. Sheppard

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version awful
This guide may be satisfactory as a physical book, but as a Kindle book it is dreadful. I regret buying it before downloading a sample. I also found the writing a bit silly and not very useful. Maybe more suitable for the younger reader. I have now bought the Lonely Planet version which suits me much better.
Published on 28 Oct. 2012 by squeakrucks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and much better than the Lonely Planet Guide, 13 Oct. 2012
P. Sheppard - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)

1) The RG book folds out on a table over the spine so you can read it without holding it all the time and trust me the benefit of this is not to be underestimated! You cannot do the same with the LP book and it's much harder to read

2) I have found the coverage of places I have been to and maps better in the RG book. Having been to Oxford for a couple of days recently I reflected back and discovered that I had used the recommendations in the Rough Guide far more than the LP book. I use the books most for recommendations on where to eat and drink and the RG offers offers a seperate section on cafes, in addition to restaurants whereas the LP puts them all together. I find the cafe section useful as, like many people,I often like to have a coffee mid morning or afternoon and this makes it much easier to choose where may be the best options for a coffee stop

3) I find the colour scheme more appealing and user friendly in the RG. This may seem a small thing but I just find it 'easier on the eye'.

I should say that I am a fan of both Rough Guide and Lonely Planet guides in general. I have given this review the title I have because I think most people will choose only one guide and for my money the Rough Guide is a much better option on this occasion. The only aspect I prefer in the Lonley Planet book is that they clearly highlight attractions that are free and this is a great feature.

I would give the Lonely Planet Guide 3 stars in comparison to 5 for the Rough guide, although I think both represent good value for money. My ultimate advice is don't spend dithering for ages over whether to buy the Rough Guide to England, just do it. I don't think you'll feel short changed in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your travel bible for England, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
It is a fantastic guide! It covers all the major attractions and destinations, also excellent in giving a real insight of the Country, covering History, Architecture, Geography, Social-cultural understanding, etc

4.0 out of 5 stars Always good., 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
Comprehensive guide giving a good overview. I have never been able to fault their recommendations for accommodation or places to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
it is good and just like a new one, and very useful for me, its worth the price , my friend like it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
Very useful guide. Bought when accompanying (by car) my son on sponsored bike ride from Land's End to John o'Groats via mainland compass points - Lizard, Lowestoft, Adnamurchan Point and Dunnet Head. Didn't actually have much time to see sights though but it was there to tell me what I'd just missed. Excellent. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of England, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
Usual Rough Guide format with a great over view of of places to visit etc in England but for longer term visits the localised county guides would be better

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 11 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
very useful guide especially to have when touring around. most things are available online but it is not always possible to get online on the move, especially in rural areas such as parts of the lake district.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
Good guide. Very useful and complete.
Good seller. Arrived in time and well packaged. I will repeat.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good !, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
I feel this book gives me nearly all the info I require and an opinion on subjects and locations. It's an interesting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for ideas, 10 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Rough Guide to England (Paperback)
okay - some ideas in here.

The Rough Guide to England
The Rough Guide to England by Robert Andrews (Paperback - 20 Jan. 2011)