Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2011
It was our first visit in New York, and this guide helped a lot in getting around. Everything you need, from main attractions to tips for the best available ticket prices, is there. The layout is a little tricky to get used to. If you have experience using Rough guides, then you will love it. If it's your first guide of this series, then you might find it a little difficult at first. I always like to read the top suggestions of restaurants, bars etc. and this guide was a good but not great choice. It suggested several from everything, but I had the impression it was the favorites of the authors and not the best for a visitor.
All in all, standard quality for a "regular" visitor. Good information about every sight, a lot of useful tips and well written.
It comes at a convenient size (in my opinion, maybe a bit bigger than it should be).
Go for it and you won't be disappointed.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2011
If you are looking for a glossy guide to New York then this is not the guide for you. But if you are looking for plenty of information, places to go, places to eat and places to stay and be merry at then invest in The Rough Guide to New York.

This pocket size guide means it is light enought to fit in a bag or pocket and when you need to use it in the street, you don't stand out too much as a tourist. What rough guides are great at doing are providing you with excellent and relevant information on the city or country you are visiting. There are chapters on each area of New York, obviously the majority of the guide covers Manhattan, but you also get information on the Outer Boroughs. They also provide you with information on transport, money, safety, prices, and some etiquette. You also get some background history on the areas and places you visit.

This is a must buy guide if you are visiting the city for a short while (5 - 7 days) or a longer period of time (2 - 3 weeks) it will give you plenty of ideas on where to go and how to get the best out of you visit to the great city.
on 31 January 2012
I buy one Rough Guide each time I travel to a different city and I absolutely love it! I used to buy American Express and Lonely Planet and I like better Rough Guide. The guide has wonderful descriptions of the sites/cities, timetable and prices for museums, fabulous tips/info and schemes of the main sites with precious notes. It's a fact that doesn't have many photos, but you won't need it! Once you're there you can have your own photos! And if you have doubts about the place, have a look on line! The descriptions and tips will compensate all of that! Also it's a light book compared with American Express
on 10 March 2011
Great book full of excellent information on things to see and do. I think that the information about transport is very helpful, I've already been to NYC before on a fleeting visit and wanted to get more out of a longer stay this time. The information about subway prices will save me a fortune and save my legs from some of the aching they felt last time when I walked everywhere!
on 11 February 2012
A must if you go to New York. The information in here is invaluable. Would recommend that if possible, like us, you buy this well in advance of your trip and take heed of all the information inside. Really enhanced our trip as we had a short time in New York (3 days) after flying in from Las Vegas, and needed to make the most of our time there. Had a great time in New York which was helped by having so much information to hand. We always buy rough guides before we go anywhere as the information is good. Cannot recommend highly enough.
on 28 July 2015
This is a really good travel guide to travelling in New York.
I used it everyday all day on my 10 day visit.
on 13 February 2015
Very easy " pre read, reference" when preparing for a first trip to New York. I used in conjunction with google maps, street view, and the web sites of visitor attractions to develop an itinery that was achievable and would maximise our time in new York. As a standalone publication it is not sufficient to plan your whole stay, but does give some very interesting background that you may not otherwise learn.
on 21 April 2012
I took this guide to NYC recently for a 4 day trip and it was perfect for my needs. Recommendations were good and information inside was reliable. The only additional thing I would recommend you take is a separate map of the whole of Manhattan, as the maps in the book tend to be split into regions and it is useful to have an overview sometimes, rather than flicking back and forward through the book.
on 13 January 2012
I read this book on the flight to New York. There was some helpful advice and the map was very useful whilst trying to plan our days. Based on what I read in the book, I was able to come up with a fun itenerary whilst we were there and added some new things to the list that we hadn't done on previous visits. Easy to follow and helpful.
on 25 August 2015
We were going on holiday to the Big Apple and read a lot of this before going and even though it was a few years old - there was even more to see when we got there but it certainly gave us the necessary guidance.