5.0 out of 5 stars This book kept me sane!
Published on 4 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Informative and Very Amusing
Having stocked up on various pregnancy books this was the most relaxed book and I feel that I have now covered all bases having purchased Miriam Stoppard, What to Expect and The Rough Guide. I use them all for different things but read my "week" in the Rough Guide avidly every Sunday. Definitely Recommended.
Published on 21 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars This book kept me sane!, 4 April 2005
By A Customer
I don't normally post customer reviews but I felt really strongly about this book. Many of the pregnancy books on the market talk about medical or what is best for baby and all of them have their place. What I feel takes this book to another level is the fact that sometimes in pregnancy you don't feel fabulous and this image of gliding through your pregnancy on a pink fluffy cloud feels a million miles away, this is the book that you want to read when you have those moments. When no-one else can understand (it was too long ago for your Mum who sees her pregnancy through rose coloured specs, or your poor partner is fed up with you moaning, or you don't have support from your family) this book becomes your best friend. All the things you are worried about are covered and treated seriously but with a sense of humour that you really appreciate. This book kept me sane during my pregnancy and I have recommended it to every pregnant woman I know since, it was sincere and funny and made me laugh out loud when I didn't think it was possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The rough guide to pregnancy and birth, 27 Mar 2004
Fabulous book! Wicked cover and drawings, good inside layout, very useful and blunt advices. Well written. A must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book - it will keep you sane!, 30 Aug 2004
By A Customer
I am 38 weeks pregnant. So far I have bought 3 'pregnancy' books, 2 'baby' books and a number of magazines. This book is the voice of reason amongst the preaching and/or neuroses of all the others. It has all the medical information anyone could want in a pregnancy book, but it also makes you realise how normal all the other little complaints are. The diary section (a couple of pages per week of pregnancy) describes how I have felt physically and emotionally to within a week or two. This not only makes me feel sane, but has given me a way to explain things to my husband and I am sure it has helped him understand better how I feel. We have both read large sections of it just for the pleasure of reading it and find ourselves reading bits aloud to each other - and we are not the sort of couple to read bits of baby books at each other. About the only thing that stops you reading is the pain in your side from laughing so hard. I would recommend it to anyone even considering getting pregnant. The best news now is I have just discovered she's written a 'baby' book as-well, so I'm ordering that before it's out of stock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Down to earth, real book, 4 Dec 2007
E. Shaw (S. Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as my husband and I are thinking of trying for a baby soon. Feeling nervous about it, this book answered a lot of my questions. It is written with good humour, and is honest and sometimes quite blunt! It doesn't use much medical jargon (although it often puts them in brackets), and as a result it's easy to read. Like most other reviewers of the book, I would agree that whilst this book is great, you will need a more indepth book as well, such as "Your Pregnancy Bible" by Anne Deans, which is more in depth. With regards to previous reviews saying that the author has an irresponsible attitute toward food, I think it is fairly obvious that she is joking - some of this food related stuff is in the diary sections, and she talks about eating a lot of magnums! I think she's being honest and saying that you might just feel rather hungry during your pregnancy. She also talks about not eating junk food as well, which I think is pretty responsible. All in all, there is a LOT of good information in this book - getting pregnant, nutrients / what not to eat, the size of the foetus / unborn baby each week, pain relief in labour, what to really expect in labour, the birth itself, c-sections, stretch marks, relationships, sex, breastfeeding....and loads more. It's also entertaining, honest, and like having a chat with a pregnant friend!! 5/5!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Informative and Very Amusing, 21 Aug 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Oct 2003
By A Customer
I'm just over halfway through my first pregnancy and I am finding this book a godsend. It is a well-thought out mix of humour and information that is presented in an easy to follow format. Such a relief to refer to a book that is not written by some sanctimonious 'expert' nor hysterical American! This book has helped me to overcome a lot of the fear that presents itself in pregnancy, not least the whole emotional implication of it all. If you believe what the other books say you'd think pregnancy was all about being obsessively 'good' (ie NO alcohol, NO junk food and certainly NO FUN) and dressing in disgusting clothes!
I recommend this book wholeheatedly to the modern woman who likes to make her own choices and actually wants to see the funny side of pregnancy from time to time!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Pregnant- or is that Fat??, 25 Feb 2004
By A Customer
At last - so I'm not the only one in the world who finds herself pregnant and feels totally out of character. This is a book for any woman with a love of shoes, waistbands, champagne and cigarettes who finds herself suddenly packing away her stillettos for 'high days and holidays' browzing through brochures for anything with an elasticated waist (well my Mum had them when I was little!), purchasing Champagne truffles from Thorntons and convincing herself that they are the next best thing and riddled with guilt whenever she sees a cigarette - even though she knows better than to smoke one!
If pregnancy scares you but you know its what you have to do, this is for you. From sound advise when you find yourself pregnant like 'buy a lottery ticket, if you win give up work -get a maid, a large fridge, a cordless phone, and buy yourself an emerald tiaria' to how to make your new found bundle of joy (yes we all feel like Sigornie Weaver from Alien at somepoint!!) sleep once its here for real. She lets you realise that it is normal that your partner too will do irrational things from day one - hers bought a Beford Rascal, mine sold the home computer to make the 'study' into a nursery (hey, what did we study anyway?) at three weeks (will they be this attentive at 41 weeks for now I know there will be a week 41!!).
Kaz is practical, funny, reasuring and realistic whilst still remembering all those things in life you miss - who needed to wear size 8 diamonte thongs from Gossard anyway - bring on the Playtex Cross Your Heart!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun read for a nervous first time mum, 27 Aug 2007
My friend recommended this book and I giggled all the way through. Whilst informative, you do need a more dedicated book for more detail but what it does do, is help you to see that you can actually 'do it' and be a mum. A funny diary style book, useful tips all the way through, a thoroughly recommended read and so much more fun to read that a huge enclyopedia about pregnancy!

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need a lobotomy to survive pregnancy manauls!, 7 Mar 2003
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
Hoorah for Kaz Cooke! Thank you, thank you, thank you for rescuing me from the preachy inanities of the Stoppard ilk of pregnancy manuals. I was beginning to despair of being a first time mum with a brain and a sense of humour - it looked like I was going to need to check all such credentials in at my first ante-natal appointment.

I could have ignored the lack of any narrative flow in the standard pregnancy manuals. However I could not ignore the condescending 1950s style morality implicit throughout them. I was becoming alarmed by the attempts to say, for example, that while breast and bottle feeding are equally valid there are no drawbacks to breast feeding, it works if you only try hard enough, and you are essentially depriving your infant if you use a bottle. Similar moralising undertones for issues of being a working mum (at the end of the day your baby will "survive" if you only spend one hour a day with it you callous poor excuse for a woman), and the use of pain relief during labour (what's the matter with you, grit your teeth, you know that many of the drugs cross the placenta and affect your child don't you?).

Kaz Cooke's fictional diary gives a more realistic and 21st century view of pregnancy and birth than any of these so called "factual" books. It certainly made me feel like I am going to have some real options ahead of me and has given me more confidence to express my opinions than any of the other texts I have read to date. Kaz Cooke genuinely conveys the idea that there is no "right" way to do things, she doesn't just pay lip service to this notion. The friendly and welcoming voice of the narrator is complemented by useful information (checked by obstetricians and midwives) along with a no-nonsense appraisal of the more unpleasant aspects of the process. It has allowed me to worry about being poked and prodded like a farmyard animal. It permits a healthy concern over having ones most sensitive nether regions stretched out of all recognition, or - I can hardly bring myself to write it - torn or cut.

My partner is reading it now and I am confident that this book will allow him to start making sense of the physical and emotional changes I am going through. It has given us a way to both laugh and cry over what is happening to us without any need to adopt the prissy or sanctimonious voices inherent in so much of the literature on this subject.

I would unreservedly recommend this book as the first thing to read before conception or in the early stages of pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing, 8 April 2010
I was bought this book when I was first expecting - loved it - and bought a copy for another friend when she was expecting her first baby. Worth every penny!

The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth
The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth by Kaz Cooke (Paperback - 1 April 2010)