5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch
I bought the full set of Rough Guide, Lonely Planet, and Cadogan for Crete, as I was arranging a couple of tours there.

They all have their enjoyable quirks, and tend to copy each other (plagiarism is rife!), but I settled on the Rough Guide as my most reliable first port of call. It had a little more detail than the others.

I also used the Blue...
Published on 30 May 2011 by Dave MT

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this really the best guide to Crete?
I got the Rough Guide to Crete instead of the Lonely Planet one based on the Amazon reviews. The LP one must be truly dreadful because the RG one is crap. We spent a week in Chania. The map in the guide bears little resemblance to reality. What looks like a long, straight street is actually a short, curved one (unless you can walk through buildings).

The...
Published on 21 Oct 2011 by reenski

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the bunch, 30 May 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)

I also used the Blue Guide. This one is more informative on archaeological & historical detail, while Rough Guide gives more down to earth contemporary background.

If you've space for two, then it's the Rough & the Blue. Space for one? Prob just the Rough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to Crete, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
The Rough Guides are my guide book of choice,my husband & I are keen travellers who research where we are going & usually hire a car and explore. We have just returned from Crete and this book was brilliant. We were able to find the less well known sites such as the late Minoan tombs at Armani, the Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery at Soudha Bay & the archaeological site at Asios Triada. We refer to the book when finding a hotel and usually the recommendations are excellent.

I like the way the books are laid out, with things not to miss at the start & highlights and maps for every chapter; the clear descriptions of each place with history and sights to see with times and prices; the region maps that allow you to see at a glance where places are in relation to each other and the town maps that allow you to find particular places with ease.

We do have the Rough Guide to Greece but decided that we would still opt for a specific guide to Crete as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crete on a plate, exclusively served to you by TRG, 24 Jun 2011
Nick Voetmann Strøm "HyperBoi" (Frederiksberg, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
If you're a frequent visitor to Crete and think you have seen much of the splendor that this island has to offer, then a quick flick through TRG to Crete will have you realize that there is much more to see and explore. Facilitated by seperate chapters covering the small and the big interests of each of the island's 4 municipalities, this gives you an opportunity to choose to read every single section or simple just scan for details of interests. I have travelled to Crete on numerous occations and thought I'd pretty much covered every aspect of the island but after reading through this guide I realized that my upcoming holiday of 10 days isn't quite sufficient to explore all the high lights and tips described in this amazing guide. By all means - buy it! Enjoy Crete...

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this really the best guide to Crete?, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)

The restaurant recommendations are terrible. It's not a 'local favourite' if it's full of tourists, with not a Greek person in sight. I can find tourist traps myself. I need to a guide to help me find hidden gems. The RG book was no help there. Also, it would've been nice if the authors had mentioned which places close in the off-season. We were there in October. Despite the 24 degree weather, several of the bars and restaurants were shut for the winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars this was a surprise, a vertual history of crete very good reading., 6 April 2013
W. J. Langford "loco" (harrow middx uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
i would recomend this book, to any person interested in greece and the greek islands. a good read.looks good on the book shelve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Guide, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
The Rough Guide to Crete Excellaent guide for the first time visitor, also helpful to those who have been to Crete before and now want to explore further. The discriptions are accurate and mean exactly what they say. EG when it says steep it means a first gear climb for a car! Some of the places descibed that we when to were closed but this may have been due to the time of the year (October)
Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and informative., 13 Aug 2011
Mrs. L. G. Warby (Camb, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
Had been to Crete before but wanted to explore more areas that were off the beaten track. Found this guide informative, detailed and up to date......would certainly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC GUIDE FOR CRETE, buy before you BOOK HOLIDAY, 29 Jun 2011
L. J. Zachary "Rafaels Mummy" (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
Wish we had bought the book before booking though, as the resort we are going is not what we are looking for, that will teach us :-) but we still intend to make the most of it. Great book, great information, what ever you are looking for from a holiday, this is the BEST book you could buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars A rough Rough Guide, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
Compared with previous Rough Guides to Crete this is very poor. No account taken of ammendments sent in by myself very early in 2010 and shorter than other editions of the same. Out of date information is still recounted as gospal. When I pointed this out to the publisher all I got was a standard pro-forma email stating that my comments would be passed on to the authors and the publisher could not even be bothered to make sure the fonts matched where the specific comments about the Crete Guide had been spliced in. Avoid this guide book and this comment is coming from - a now very disapointed - life long fan of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ROUGH guide to crete, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Crete (Paperback)
BEST TRAVEL GUIDE EVER.HAVE BEEN TO CRETE MANY TIMES AND STILL LEARNING FROM THIS BOOK WHAT I HAVE STILL MISSED.

The Rough Guide to Crete
The Rough Guide to Crete by Geoff Garvey (Paperback - 1 Jun 2007)
Used & New from: £0.45