on 1 May 2001
I must have been reading a different guide to your last reviewer! We came back recently from four weeks travelling in Buenos Aires and the south. I've done a lot of independent travelling in South America (almost every country), and I can honestly say this is one of the best guides I've come across. It's enthusiastic and amazingly well-researched, and I found it objective and honest. We always got the impression that the authors were trying to depict the real, modern Argentina -- so much so that several English-speaking Argentinians we showed it to asked us where they could buy a copy. It definitely doesn't repeat the mulch some tourist offices spew out, and we always felt we had a good idea of when the tourist hype exceeds reality: we'd heard a lot about the Welsh community in Patagonia before we went, but this guidebook was the first thing we'd read that actually gave us a realistic expectation of what to expect. My wife and I enjoyed the treks (AMAzing scenery).... If I've got a criticism, I'd say it could do with a few more maps and we came across one or two typos, but, to be honest, I'd ditch my rucksac before I ditched this. Well done!
NB. If you haven't been to Argentina, it must be one of the most spectacular scenaries around especially the Patagonia. Perito Moreno is a MUST.
on 13 November 2003
This is a very well-researched and thoroughly useful book with an excellent range of recommendations for accomodation and eating/drinking. In addition to providing in-depth information on the usual tourist sights it recommends quite a few exciting spots off the beaten track that helps you make your trip more special.
The two shortcomings that i came across were (i) the lack of description of getting TO airports and (ii) fairly poor section on the Bariloche region.
on 31 January 2012
I buy one Rough Guide each time I travel to a different city and I absolutely love it! I used to buy American Express and Lonely Planet and I like better Rough Guide. The guide has wonderful descriptions of the sites/cities, timetable and prices for museums, fabulous tips/info and schemes of the main sites with precious notes. It's a fact that doesn't have many photos, but you won't need it! Once you're there you can have your own photos! And if you have doubts about the place, have a look on line! The descriptions and tips will compensate all of that! Also it's a light book compared with American Express
on 27 November 2012
I bought this item 6 months ago with a view to planning a holiday in 2013. When I opened the book in October 2012 the section which I use pps 11-26 fell out of the book.
The content seems fine but I like to travel with the book in my rucksack and refer to it many times a day. This is disappointing and as an ex-printer I know can be avoided by using a slightly more expensive binding adhesive which I always recommended to my customers.
on 29 July 2013
I like these guidebooks very much, and I have never had any problems with Rough Guides before, so I suspect this was not a problem with the publisher, but rather from the distributor (Danny Aeberhard).

Initially the item appeared to be in good quality, but a couple weeks after, when we started using it more often to plan our trip to Argentina, we noticed that the first few pages in the guide (the thicker pages with "Things not to miss") were unbinding (unglueing) themselves from the book.

Other than this, the rest of the pages in the book appear to be well bound to the cover, but this is still a bit annoying as we now have to keep holding those pages together when using the guide, to stop from falling.
on 10 May 2012
Content seems good, all places I wanted to find out about seem to be listed. Good general information. Unfortunately initial colour picures have already detatched from binding and are loose so quality binding poor.
on 3 September 2011
We used the guide book when we visited Buenos Aires and Salta and while it was helpful, some information could have been clearer. The maps provided are fairly good but a few more maps are necessary to visit all the areas described. We got lost on the outskirts of Buenos Aires trying to follow directions between two train stations given by the book, when a simple map of the area would have been ideal.

The history information in the guide book was interesting but I would have rather had more practical suggestions of the best attractions to visit and suggested itineraries. In future, I would probably choose a Lonely Planet guide book instead of the Rough Guide.
on 4 August 2014
Really useful travel companion, as I trekked from Buenos Aires, to Iguazu, Salta and eventually Mendoza. Well thumbed, it is essential to get a real insight into the world that you are travelling in. Contains a good history of Argentina, but some interesting background to all the cities and highlights a number of useful destinations and visits.
on 6 July 2013
Ive travelled extensively and have always found The Rough Guide books to be almost pin point accurate when ive arrived in foreign countries. Excellant turnaround from the seller I had this very quickly. Would recommend them and would buy from them again
on 10 June 2010
It's a very comprehensive and very accurate book. I had an older version and we had to replace it because it was impossible to read any more. The new one is even better.