5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic

1.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour choose another book
Published on 27 May 2008 by Rusty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour choose another book, 27 May 2008
Having just returned from my first visit to Turkey I can only agree with the negative comments voiced by other reviewers. The general tone veers between sneering at the reality of turkish society and derision of anything that remotely relates to the general tourist. All this would be bad enough were the text not hopelessly out of date. Selecting a couple of examples at random from an extraordinary list of errors; Descriptions of the Bodrum penisula include references to sailing schools in Bitez. Guys! - all the schools moved further round the peninsua at least 3 years ago. For Ephesus the visitor is instructed to walk from the lower to upper gates (insane if you've ever been there), no warning of the extreme heat everyone will experience - even in Spring. Riddled with factual inaccuracies and so superficial as to be useless. I threw my copy away and just asked the locals, who are amazing people (not that you'd ever expect that if you read this book).

1.0 out of 5 stars tired and outdated, 11 July 2010
Bought this after my first visit to Turkey 21 years ago; though sneery and cynical it was useful. Married the man, came to live here 9 years ago. Bought the new edition last year. The reviews for the holiday town, on the outskirts of which I live, are still the same, word for word! Current reviews of food, hotels etc are similarly 20 years of date.
The pace of change here is enormous, please try to imagine a review which hasn't changed in 20 years and multiply it's irrelevance by 3. Used Rough guides for many years and many countries, so disappointed by this charade of a current guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 10 July 2001
By A Customer
I used this book on holiday in Turkey last year and I found it had all the vital information required to make my holiday a greater experience. Every detail beaches, restaurants, customs, food and what to watch out for were all explained very clearly. On the subject of food, I was advised NEVER to eat mussels sold by locals on the beach, but unfortunately I read the book 1 day too late! You can work the rest out for yourself!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 6 April 2008
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Not a bad guide, but not great either. There are only colour pictures in the introductory 'highlights' section - the rest of the images are black and white, and not very clear, which is a shame. There are colour insert sections on food, sports and architecture, but these would have been better used for a collection of a wider range of images.

The maps are not particularly easy to follow and miss off streets. The layout is the same as in other Rough Guides, which at least makes it familiar to those who've used other books from the series. The separation of practical information (in the front), and more academic information (e.g. history) (in the back), from the sections on regions and places can make it quite hard to follow and involves a lot of leafing through.

I didn't rely on it too much for factual information (e.g. prices), but I did notice that quite often the information pertaining to the sights e.g. buildings, or to history were at odds with the information given by my (highly qualified) Turkish guide. Later checks against other sources backed up the tour guide rather than this book.

Particularly frustrating is the language section, which lacks any phoenetic spellings for even the commonest words. This makes it useless for practical purposes. I suppose the aim is to make you buy the separate phrasebook - but that's not much use when you're backpacking and the brick-like size of the guide alone is weighing you down.

Overall, I didn't find this the most user friendly or helpful of guidebooks to the region.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Rough Guide if you're smart, 5 May 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Turkey (Paperback)
There's a number of offended types giving negative reviews to the Rough Guide here on Amazon. Don't believe them. It's by far the best guide. Any criticisms minor or veiled of Turkey or it's culture are accurate appraisals. The Blue Mosque is just a big mosque, like any other but bigger and the Topkapi Palace isn't a patch on the Alhambra in Granada - and yes, there were plenty of Ottoman atrocities and barbarities, which are well documented in many history books.

So if you want a useful guide for the independent traveller go with the Rough Guide. The Lonely Planet, by comparison, is poor. For example, whole swathes of Anatolia are missing, such as the major city Balikesir. You won't want to stop in Balikesir but you should at least know this. The Lonely Planet ignores this entire city. Also, when talking about the Butterfly Valley near Fethiye, the Lonely Planet says it's a tricky descent, while the Rough Guide says you need to be a rock climber. The Rough Guide have obviously been there - so did we - you need to be a rock climber with all the gear, as it's a sheer drop.

So do yourself a favour, buy the Rough Guide, it travels with its eyes open in Turkey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, but alright, 15 Jun 2012
L. Burgoyne (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Turkey (Paperback)
I bought this guide without realising that we already had the previous version of it. Having discovered this I thought I might as well keep it as the information would surely be much more valid, however the book is almost identical to the previous one. The recommendations are almost all the same. Some of the maps and information were very useful, however there wasn't enough depth about any single place, even Istanbul, which despite having a large chunk devoted to it, really requires its own guide book and maps.

The information for small trips was unhelpful - for example the idea that you could happily walk to Ephesus from Selcuk (it might not be impossible, but not exactly pleasurable, when you can get a shuttle for about a pound) and the information for getting around Pergamum/Bergama was absolutely useless. The idea that the Red Basilica is the foremost attraction seems ridiculous to me and the claim that the acropolis is 'readily accessible on foot' is just a joke. The taxi journey from the nearest bus stop (which is not the normal bus stop) still took a long time up the most winding road imaginable, and I don't remember a pavement. It IS possible to walk back down IF you go through the lower city (I think we were the only ones to do so that entire day) - but that alone is a long and scratchy route.

The pictures are poor and very sparse (probably from the first edition of the guide, god knows how many decades earlier), except for a couple of shiny full-page colour inserts that may possibly be the only new insertions and were utterly useless anyway.

That said, the country is very large and it is naturally difficult to be thorough on every town and city throughout. The book is well laid out and organised according to location, in an easy-to-read format, however you'd be just as well with an older edition at a fraction of the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROUGH GUIDE TO TURKEY - Very useful, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Turkey (Paperback)
Found the guide very informative, we think this will be a great help when we visist Turkey in the near future

2.0 out of 5 stars buy the paperback!, 26 Jan 2012
As I'm new to Kindle this may be a bit unfair due to my inexperience in navigation. There are huge, obvious advantages in taking a kindle on holiday - for novels it is brilliant. When travelling I am a Rough Guide fan and have always relied on the books however they weigh a fair bit, so the kindle version seemed ideal. Advantages include being able to work your way round museums without losing your place and finding hotels & restaurants - anything text based really. There are three huge disadvantages though compared to the paperback. The first is lack of colour. All those inviting photos which increase anticipation in pre-holiday planning look pretty dreadful to be honest and I can't read the maps - which brings me to the second disadvantage - although you can increase the font size there does not seem to be a zoom to look at the detail in maps. The third disadvantage is that the contents/index is difficult to understand so it is trial and error to find the information you are looking for - although links on words and places often take you to more information. I am disappointed, but as I said I am a novice. If I change my mind with experience I will change my review. So, for now I will be sticking to my trusty paperback and map for planning and travelling and keep the kindle for reading only!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not gift condition, 22 Feb 2014
Good condition -although not good enough for gift but good saving on specialist book. As a country guide that's going tt flicked through 2nd hand is more than sufficient.

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Turkey (Paperback)
the quality wasn't quite what I was expecting. however it will serve its purpose perfectly enough. fortunately it included the area I needed

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Rough Guide to Turkey
The Rough Guide to Turkey by Martin Zatko (Paperback - 1 Jun 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01