on 29 March 2008
Not only was this book helpful when choosing where to stay - information was accurate and relevant - it was also invaluable in terms of finding ways to save money (which is a must in Venice!).
But the best feature about this book was its information on the places to visit. It saved us a fortune because we didn't need to buy guide books for any of the venues!
The book is written with fascinating tidbits of information, many of which will make you smile and laugh, so be careful not to read in church if you're not prepared to stifle your laughter.

If I had to say one negative thing about this book, it would be that the entry fees are now very slightly out of date... but if you add 1 euro to the price in the book, you're never likely to be upset when you arrive.
on 2 January 2010
We bought this for our holiday to Venice in August 2008 and it was absolutely invaluable. I made sure I bought it well before we went so that I could use it to plan almost every aspect of our trip. I used it constantly while we were there too - we went to several restaurants recommended by the guide and we were very impressed with the food and service. One very useful part of the guide is the section about what tickets to buy for use on the water buses and to access the museums and churches. The maps are clear - lots of smaller ones for specific areas might sound confusing but it is actually much easier to see where you want to go (plus no huge maps to fold and unfold). We were lent a couple of other guide books too but they weren't a patch on this one - it is the only guide to Venice you will need.
on 16 October 2007
I just came back from my first ever visit to Venice, to see the Biennale exhibition actually, but while in Venice...
Anyway, I bought this guide blindly on account of positive experiences with the Rough Guide to New York a few years ago and I must say I'm quite as pleased with this one! The maps in the back once again proved extremely useful and in this case they included a frequently consulted map for the vaporetti or bus boats that are such an essential feature of public transport around this city. (Sorry, I don't much care for gondolas.)
Thanks to some pointers from Mr Buckley I have seen a massive amount of Tintoretto paintings, which was an unexpected delight, and shed a tear at the graves of Claudio Monteverdi and Igor Stravinsky. I guess visitors to Venice could do a lot worse than pick up this guide.
on 28 July 2009
So accurate, almost perfect. I may be a little over enthusiastic as the other guidebook, Frommers, was awful. It saved our holiday, with its detailed yet concise information and excellent 25 things you have to do. My only criticism is that some of the maps lack, enough, street names, yet this is a small price to pay for an overall great guidebook. I particularly recommend this along with The Hotel Londra Palace and Do Leoni on the lagoon.
on 11 October 2009
The Rough Guide continues to be the standard by which all other travel guides should be judged. I have used them for years and they have never let me down whether it be a european guide or farther afield.

The guides are meticulous in detail and have always guided me to a first class lunch or dinner.
Look no further for a guide book.
on 10 April 2011
I bought the Guide for a friend who was planning a long weekend in Venice, and took a quick peek before passing it on. My faith in Rough Guides remained steadfast; the book was packed with useful information, tips, insights and maps, and my friend reported it had been a great help.
on 12 April 2011
Ok a slight disclaimer I have always used the Lonely Planet guides, but after reading some of the reviews I chose this instead.

This guide is exactly what it says on the tin. Its a Rough Guide to Venice, not so good for planning your trip like the Lonely Planet guide. It has a lot of interesting information on most of the sites and the maps are clear and useful. However the layout is somewhat confusing, it isn't always clear what opening times are, and in occasions where they are included they are sometimes wrong. It doesn't really give you a decent review of food places, and missess off opening times and average meal costs which the Lonely Planet includes.

Overall I'd say it is a good guide book (info pictures etc), but not so useful if you are actually trying to cost out and plan a trip in advance, or if you want to confirm information on the day.

Lonely Planet - much less descriptive information, more info on times and prices.

Rough Guide - much more interesting information about the sights.
on 8 June 2011
The guide is great but the maps on the kindle edition are unreadable (at least on the kindle application for ipad). A waste of money: I kept wishing i had bought the paperback.
on 20 April 2011
Our first 'Rough Guide' and we wouldn't hesitate to buy others in future. The guide is accurate and to the point. Predictably some of the prices quoted in the guide were slightly out of date but still gave a useful indication. Even if you think you know Venice, the guide will still give you useful insights and tips in a humorous and informative way.
on 23 October 2011
This compact guide book is up to the usual high Rough Guide standards in terms of content and presentation. However, the user will need a good detailed city map to find their way around, the Guide maps being suitable for localities only and do not give a good overall view. Indispensible and good value.