on 29 August 2010
I bought this book because everytime I go camping, I'm faced with an endless task of trawling the internet for reputable campsites and feel I have to find out about all the possibilities before I can make a decision. This book means that I have comparable information on a few recommended campsites and I can choose quickly.

I chose this book over others as I didn't need the 'beginners guide to camping' - type basic information that all the other equivalents seem to have.

I have camped at two of the campsites from this book in Cornwall and was very pleased with both of them.
on 2 July 2010
This is an excellent book for all levels of campsite campers. I bought it as a present for my brother and it was so good I've ordered one for myself. His reaction along with his fiancee's was Excellent, what a great present. It gives good reviews as all of the rough guides do, has colour pictures which is always nice and is well worth the money. A good addition to any bookshelf especially if you love to get away but just can't think where to go.
on 6 April 2010
Without doubt the best campsite guide on the market this year and I have compared it against the three other guides bought/delivered this year. It is colourful, informative and comprehensive. The only negative point being that no downside to the campsites are mentioned, but this is a minor fault. The choice of locations is more than sufficient and the photography used will make this guide a good coffee table publication.If you are a proper tent camper this is the guide for you.
on 4 September 2010
I was given a copy of this guide as a present in June as I had told a friend I wanted to make the most of my summer off work and try camping with the kids (had never done it before) as much as possible, the length and breadth of the country. From the moment I opened it I was impressed. The photography is wonderful (as most Rough Guides are) and the writing was very readable and not remotely patronising. By the end of that first weekend I had made a list of "Must Stay At" campsites... Over the next ten weeks we managed to tackle Scotland, South West England and Wales. We stayed at some amazing places and weren't disappointed by any! The Guide consistently gets its recommendations spot on. I fell in love with the West Coast of Scotland (Camusdarach and Clachtoll Beach were both stunning)The Rough Guide to Camping in Britain and the kids had a real summer to remember. We've already made our Top Ten list for Summer 2011! My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that there was no sign of Northern Ireland?? That's a place we'd be really keen to tour around some time and now that we're camping converts, I'd love to get some recommendations. If you only ever buy/read one Camping Guide, you're an eejit if it isn't this one ;-). P.S. thanks Steven for the top present!
on 21 August 2011
Loved this book! We camped in Northern England for ten days for the first time, and being from Norway this guide really helped us find great camping places. The book is very well organised and it's easy to find the places listed.
on 7 July 2013
it's exactly what the title says. and gives good advice on camping and what equipment you'll need. awesome book! totally recommend for anyone who loves camping. also the good thing is that it tells you where to go if you want to camp wild and isolated, or in big groups, party campers, glamping... great.
on 7 August 2011
First of all: We didn't use it as intensely as expected. Actually, we could have done without, but for getting an apprehension of what's possible in Britain camping-wise before really starting our holidays, it was quite useful. It gives a detailed description of many extraordinary camping sites, many photos and a good idea of what to expect in an entertaining way. Of course, it doesn't cover all available camp sites in Britain but merely a small subset.
Still, the book itself is thick and heavy, so that as a cyclist or a hiker one wouldn't like to carry it around.
We'd rather have needed a concise directory of camping site in a larger area of Britain combined with some general information like level of comfort or inexpensive alternatives. This book appears to be written for people, who enjoy camping as such, but not for those, who use a tent as cheap means of accomodation.
on 18 January 2014
What an excellent book. Full of sound advice and reviews of campsites in the UK.
Even though this book was second hand the condition was perfect, in fact it didn't look used at all.
Perhaps not quite as useful to the car camper as the bike or hike camper but none the less very good.
I will be riding my recumbent trike to some
on 6 September 2014
Found this to give really good trustworthy reviews. Some really nice camp sites that you may not have found otherwise.
I have now stayed in a few of themm and still use the book for reference and take it with me on holiday.
on 25 November 2010
lots of colourful pictures to accompany well written and accurate reviews. some of the sites do tend to be a little large, you still need to do a little research if you aren't a fan of caravans etc. we use this in conjunction with Tiny Campsites, they compliment each other well...