5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful, honest and detailed guide to Kenya
Published on 20 Feb 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars In many ways good, but "stuck in the middle for me"
Most of the book is good (background, descirption of parks etc), but I find it a bit "stuck in the middle". By this I mean, that I find it hard to see who really benefits from this book.

There is many descriptions of 1.000 dollars lodges, a bit on selfdriving and camping, some on mid range etc. But if you are on a totally arrange tour of Kenya, like most, I...
Published on 3 Aug 2011 by teepee

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful, honest and detailed guide to Kenya, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
We have visited Kenya twice using the Rough Guide both to select safari and resort destinations, and as our "bible" on arrival. The descriptions of the regions, people, scenery, wildlife and accommodation are without equal - we own several other publications on Kenya but none has such detailed and accurate information. The author's deep personal knowledge (and great affection) for Kenya shines through in his observations on the political, social and cultural life of the country and his wry humour always makes it a pleasure to dip into the book while travelling around.
During one of our many breakdowns on safari in August 2001 we were given a lift by a group of ex-pat residents travelling from Nairobi to the Masai Mara. We clambered into their vehicle, our copy of the Rough Guide in hand, and noticed one occupant of the bus clutching the same edition. Our remark that it was good elicited the immediate response "oh, it's definitely the best" - and this from a "local".
We are off to Kenya again in September - any chance of an updated edition?

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide map of Kenya, 6 July 2010
An excellent map with the added touch of waterproof covering. It is very detailed and often used on road trips round Kenya without getting lost (yet). It is tough and easily withstands a 3 year olds handling. A really good product that should be part of anyone's luggage when visiting Kenya and Northern Tanzania.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a guide book should be, 24 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This is pretty much everything a guide book should be; plenty of detail on the mainstream stuff (where to stay and eat in Nairobi, how to organise a safari in the Maasai Mara), but plenty also on the areas off the beaten track. Best of all, the book is unfailingly relevant, avoiding the usual pages of filler on the blindingly obvious. The wealth of background information and the dry, witty style are welcome bonuses. The best recomendation I can give this book is that it quite simply made our holiday much more enjoyable than it would have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
I have just returned from my first holiday to the Maasai Mara and Lake Nakuru and this guide accompanied me. The guide contains useful pre trip information and was invaluable whilst there. Our Kenyan born guide commented that the book was very good and asked where I got it from!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for backpackers, 26 Aug 2010
Mrs. Allison M. Pollard (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
My daughter has just got back from a month long world challenge visit to Kenya and the book was invaluable. There were 21 of them and quite a number of books but they said rough guide was by far the most useful. She would recommend it to anyone travelling around Kenya.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Reference Guide, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
Just what I expected with lots of information with good illustrations. Despatched quickly and in very good condition. Thank you,

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenya Pre trip reading, 22 Nov 2013
I've been able to pass on some information on the town I will be staying in, briefly in order to reassure my family. There's a lot to read to learn more about the country it's people and culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Kenya, 30 July 2013
M. Hamilton (Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
We were planning a trip to Kenya and bought this book. It is really well written: the author has a great style and it is very honest. As a result we decided that Kenya wasn't for us, but it was great to know that before we went. Will look for other books by this author in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rough Guide to Kenya, 16 July 2012
sheila mary ball (Stroudsburg, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
Informative book with easy to find references.layout excellent with maps and pictures.not yet travelled to Kenya so can't comment on accuracy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for Travellers to Kenya, 19 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Kenya (Paperback)
This is an excellent read for anyone travelling to Kenya for the first time as I will be in December. Very good price and extremely informative. At the moment I have found the section on flight information and discount flights the most useful. But overall the whole book is great and now I cannot wait to get on my flight in November and see the beautiful and exciting Kenya.

The Rough Guide to Kenya
The Rough Guide to Kenya by Richard Trillo (Paperback - 3 May 2010)